HSC
English Advanced: Top 25%
SORI: Top 13%
Mathematics: Top 11%
Maths Ext 1: Top 58%
Modern History: Top 26%
Business Studies: Top 7%
Economics: Top 14%

His school is ranked 150/650ish and he has two units to spare. That should be good enough for 90.

Kieran95

HSC
I reckon most of this debate is useless until the op specifies more information about:

1. How their cohort ranks compared with last years.
2. Whether last year was an outlier or the average.
1. Our cohort is slightly below last years according to teachers
2. Last year was approx average

lvella10

HSC
English Advanced: Top 25%
SORI: Top 13%
Mathematics: Top 11%
Maths Ext 1: Top 58%
Modern History: Top 26%
Business Studies: Top 7%
Economics: Top 14%

His school is ranked 150/650ish and he has two units to spare. That should be good enough for 90.
I can work out percentages -.-
I wouldn't be so sure about getting over 90 ...

lvella10

HSC
Okay i still stand by 90+
Why? 53 people got over 90 last year. He's not that greatly ranked, to me suggesting a lot of others ( >53 people) would already be ahead of him, for the likelihood of achieving 90

Kieran95

HSC
I can work out percentages -.-
I wouldn't be so sure about getting over 90 ...
My cohort has 340 people and about 50 will get 90+. If you include all the people that do subjects such as construction, DT, hospitality and such, that is about 60 people and im pretty sure none of those 60 people will beat me. So, that effectively makes my cohort 280 people in which i feel im competing against and i'm almost certain with modern history probably not even having to count towards my 10 units, that i would be in a good position to beat 5 in 6 people. Maybe my logic here is flawed, but i think that is the basic situation...

Thief

!!
HSC
My cohort has 340 people and about 50 will get 90+. If you include all the people that do subjects such as construction, DT, hospitality and such, that is about 60 people and im pretty sure none of those 60 people will beat me. So, that effectively makes my cohort 280 people in which i feel im competing against and i'm almost certain with modern history probably not even having to count towards my 10 units, that i would be in a good position to beat 5 in 6 people. Maybe my logic here is flawed, but i think that is the basic situation...
Yep, I agree with you as well. Ivella, his ranks aren't that bad at all.

lvella10

HSC
I'd be more worried about your english and extension math ruining your atar ... I'm by no way saying you cannot ever achieve above 90 .. I am saying, if everyone remains constant, and you don't improve, then I highly doubt you will.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Why? 53 people got over 90 last year. He's not that greatly ranked, to me suggesting a lot of others ( >53 people) would already be ahead of him, for the likelihood of achieving 90
He's top 10 in 3 subjects (which scale alright).
Top 20 in another (which also scales alright)
And he's top 25% in english.

That is enough for 90+

lvella10

HSC
Yep, I agree with you as well. Ivella, his ranks aren't that bad at all.
They aren't great is what I'm saying .. I'm not saying his atar would be abysmal, but I don't think the people posting above 90 are correct either

barbernator

HSC
I'd be more worried about your english and extension math ruining your atar ... I'm by no way saying you cannot ever achieve above 90 .. I am saying, if everyone remains constant, and you don't improve, then I highly doubt you will.
his extension maths will outscale most of his other subjects tbh, and english will be a mid band 5. not bad at all

lvella10

HSC
He's top 10 in 3 subjects (which scale alright).
Top 20 in another (which also scales quite well)
And he's top 25% in english.

That is enough for 90+
As I've said, without improvement, I dont see it happening.

lvella10

HSC
his extension maths will outscale most of his other subjects tbh, and english will be a mid band 5. not bad at all
No it's not bad. But is it really as good as you are making it out to be? I think not.

Kieran95

HSC
I believe you originally said something along the lines of "no chance of getting over 88"...

lvella10

HSC
I did. And I stand by it, unless you improve.
You're starting to sound like you feel sorry for yourself

Kieran95

HSC
From memory, when i got my ATAR estimate from school, extension 1 was in fact my 4th best subject.

HSC
~90 ATAR is pretty achievable with only around mid band 5s in the HSC (except for 3U maths of course)

Last edited:

lvella10

HSC
~90 ATAR is pretty achievable with only around mid band 5s in the HSC (except for 3U maths of course)

So he's on 90, according to an estimate many of you have referred to as unrealistic? If OP can in fact sustain and improve upon his ranks, sure 90 is possible .. But I see other kids ahead of him wanting it just as much ..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)