• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Atheism - Discussion thread (4 Viewers)

HSC
Uni Grad
Religion is the absence of logic and the denial of what should be common sense.

Name_Taken

HSC
Isn't living "for" your God so you can go to heaven inherently in your own self-interest? You have an idol. An atheist doesn't have any.

And you know what? Shocking as that may sound, not having something to worship is okay.
Heaven is not the goal. Following God is not out of my desire to save my own behiend.

The goal is to live a morally righteous life, to love God and to glorify Him in this life.

Heaven is the reward for a sincere attempt at accomplishing this selfless goal.

It is my love for Him and faith in His rules as being what is ultimately best for me which causes me to follow Him, and not to set my own agenda.

Athiests are their own idol, becuase they set their own agenda and because all their actions are selfishly ultimately aimed at promoting their own interest.

HSC
N/A
Heaven is not the goal. Following God is not out of my desire to save my own behiend.

The goal is to live a morally righteous life, to love God and to glorify Him in this life.

It is my love for Him and faith in His rules as being what is ultimately best for me which causes me to follow Him, and not to set my own agenda.

Athiests are their own idol, becuase they set their own agenda and because all their actions are selfishly ultimately aimed at promoting their own interest.
What would you do if your God asked you to kill your children/family/freinds?

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC

And you're selfishly ultimately aiming promoting your own interest - to "live a morally righteous life, to love God and to glorify Him in this life" AKA gain happiness through achieving your interests.

Humans, like any other animal will act out of self interest - whether that be helping others to be happy with one's self or robbing a bank - so get over it. It's not something only athiests do so get off your high horse and stop reverting back to your original argument when it has been refuted many times already.

Once more, acting out of self interest =/= immoral.

Last edited:

Name_Taken

HSC
And you're selfishly ultimately aiming promoting your own interest - to "live a morally righteous life, to love God and to glorify Him in this life" AKA gain happiness through achieving your interests.

Humans, like any other animal will act out of self interest - whether that be helping others to be happy with one's self or robbing a bank - so get over it. It's not something only athiests do so get off your high horse and stop reverting back to your original argument when it has been refuted many times already.

Once more, acting out of self interest =/= immoral.
How is devoting all my efforts to another and submitting to His rules in any way selfishly promoting my own interests?

Acting in self interest is not immoral its acting not in the interest of God, which is immoral.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
How is devoting all my efforts to another and submitting to His rules in any way selfishly promoting my own interests?

Acting in self interest is not immoral its acting not in the interest of God, which is immoral.
And you claim to know what the interest of God is?

Lol, how arrogant.

zaxmacks

HSC

Heaven is the reward for believing in Jesus. Not being, or trying to be, 'good'.

philphie

Banned
HSC

so your approach is either you're with us or you're not? that all those good people out there, that do good things who aren't religious are sinners?

so you would not care no matter how many good deeds you have done but fro some reason you were destined for hell? just so long as you did it to love God? and might i ask why do you love God? because he is the creator? let's say if he did not create but is as great as he is, would you still worship him?

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC

Easy, but answer this before i answer so you can't say i'm assuming anything. Why do you do it?

Lol, how arrogant.
+1

CecilyMare

HSC
everybody please stop arguing against one helpless christian he isn't going to start a revolution or anything and i mean even if he does, it's better than some other people here who worship scientists and are most likely looking forward to making an entire new additional range of satanic weapons to the collection we already have that we use to kill Afghanistan's women and children AND SAVE THE REFUGEES

God i sound like chris crocker. at least my aims are better intentioned.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
everybody please stop arguing against one helpless christian he isn't going to start a revolution or anything and i mean even if he does, it's better than some other people here who worship scientists and are most likely looking forward to making an entire new additional range of satanic weapons to the collection we already have that we use to kill Afghanistan's women and children AND SAVE THE REFUGEES

no one worships scientists, lol

just try becoming one n u'll find out

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC

You're either a really unfunny troll or really stupid.

Name_Taken

HSC

Lol, how arrogant.
Maybe I should have clarified; what is immoral is prmoting your own agenda above your devotion to God, and the following of His rules.

As a Christian there are plenty of wholesome things to which you can devote your life (art, research and charity for example). None of these are immoral inunto themselves ofc. But the individual is doing wrong when they persue these things out of their own self interest. At all times, you should follow Gods rules and your ultimate goal should be the glorifying of God through your accomplishments and efforts.

God has made His rules for us quite clear through the scriptures.

Name_Taken

HSC
Easy, but answer this before i answer so you can't say i'm assuming anything. Why do you do it?
Because I love Him <3 :rolleyes:

I have enough faith in Him to know what is best for me and to ensure that no harm will fall upon me or others as a result of fufilling His will on Earth.

Your turn :)

Name_Taken

HSC
So what if the bible states something that you don't neccessarily agree with?
Lol and it doesn't?

Don't you think I might be having more fun, getting stoned out of my head and screwing myself senseless (like quite a lot of people our age are doing) than I might have reading the Bible at home? Lol, I'm only human ;)

In almost all cases, temptation is more appealing and immediately gratifying to the individual than doing what is right. Faith gives you the strength to say "no" to temptation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)