Atheism - Discussion thread (1 Viewer)

heybraham

HSC
yenta said:
Why do you want to argue about religion? You know neither side can ever win, and it's how wars start :p
wars start because they are expected to start by people like you. the fear of opponent aggression in discussion leads to war not faith in your own argument. a man needs not resort to aggression if he had conviction in his own argument. it is also not reasonable to automatically assume otherwise.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
james_chappo said:
I never get tired of arguing :)!This can be an Atheist stronghold thread
Well, I was taking the thread seriously up until here. Now I think it is destined to become a stronghold of elitist circle-jerking.

heybraham

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Nah it gets rather tiring, me and moonlightsonata (probably a few others) waged intellectual war against a bunch of theists in a huge thread and it was merely repetitions.
you're acting proud again... do you need a break?

relax i'm joking

currysauce

Actuary in the making
HSC
I based my ISP on Athiesm/Agnosticism and evidence for a metaphysical being... pretty interestin

Alienangel

Perhaps this thread should just be dedicated to Atheism. Discuss evidence and things like that.
Really? - I didn't think you could prove a negative.

Interested in why you beleive in atheism - is it just a cop out or have you ppl checked out the religions first (and I mean genuinely - not text book stuff)

eilys close

HSC
I was for a while an agnostic
Agnostic - (theist - ie, believes in the existances or a higher or linking being/force - "fence sitter")
Atheist - anti-theist - there is no higher/linking being or force, and rejects the idea.

I've been exposed to Christianity and Hinduism, and have read parts of the Koran (Quran), have regular discussions with Buddists and tried out Paganism. It was all on the road to accepting that I simply do not believe in a God, not in the say that any religion defines. My understanding is not a lack of God. It is simply absence, an idea my Christian friends find very difficult to wrap their heads around. Nevertheless, I am much more happy now that I have accepted my spirituality than during the years I wasted confused by my Agnostic chant of "maybe one day it'll make sense to me."

Now, however, I like to call my self "non-religious" rather than Atheist due to the negative connotations. Atheists, according to the definition actually *actively* reject religion. That is, they will present arguments against religion. This is not me. I believe Spirituality and Religion to be two separate things, and religion is not necessary for spiritual progress. Spiritual progress is however a irrefutable part of the human condition...Religion is like meat, and spirituality like food. You need food to live but you do not need meat to eat. Yet, I know that for many people their "meat" is very important, and if they choose religion I am equally happy for them. However, Atheists basically reject the fact of their soul/chakra/whatever and I can't see how anyone can say that they, their mind, their soul, the thing that makes them different from everyone else, does not exist. Inside we all know it. To say you cannot become better and are not yourself is ridiculous. You might as well go all matrix and say nothing exists.This is how I see it. I also do not agree with Humanism on all points because it also rejects diversity.

Perhaps I should start movement called "Spiritualism". It's a much happier and accepting path that any I've seen, accepting all religions, the broad scpectrum of Agnostism and Atheists. But I'm not going to push it onto anyone, so it's just me.

And that doesn't make me sad.

CecilyMare

HSC
yeah exciting discussion...i meant if you were atheist you would not care about the beliefs of others

i wasnt asking about what atheism is, im just implying each to their own in a sense

ah dont worry ;P
That's like asking if the guys behind the Pizza Hut counter all hate Dominoes.

I'm an agnostic atheist; in fact every agnostic is a 'mild' atheist and I respect almost all religions. Some religions such as Hinduism I do not respect, why, because their religion includes factors such as poor people being evil and that they were bad in their beforelife or something yada yada like that.

I don't particularly like contemporary Christianity so much, it's overrated, but I respect the way it has shaped our morals and culture.

Vaeth

HSC
lol I'm suprised there are people here arguing about other peoples' faiths. It's like arguing about peoples' sexual orientations.
-You can ask them what they are, but you wouldn't ask them why they are.

I used to be an Atheist until I realised that I still needed something to believe in.
But I'm too much a realist to believe in a force such as 'God' or 'Divine beings'
I believe in the force man has that can control the world around them.
So, I believe in humans.
;D

trickx

HSC
The Four Horsemen:

Daniel Dennet, Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris & Christopher Hitchens.

I love Hitchens .. seriously, he's so fucking epic ..

Uncle

Banned
HSC
The other day I watched Rambo, these Christian aid workers were travelling in a boat with Rambo to provide aid to vulnerable people in wartorn Burma.
Then they got raided by armed pirates, the Christian workers value all lives as special and were helpless.
Rambo did what was necessary and killed all the pirates on board.
Then the Christian aid workers were left aghast or crying.

_henwee

HSC
Sorry if I sounded a bit bias there...
But does anyone here believe in evolution? =]
That sounds a bit better. =]

I find it hard to believe that the universe happened by chance... of course... I find it just as hard to believe that a spiritual intelligent being created the world...

So in terms of my 'religion'... I don't know what I am...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)