Atheism! (1 Viewer)

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
I laugh when people say 'atheists are arrogant'. As though most Christians/Catholics/etc are shining beacons of tolerance.

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
I thinks it's fair to say that people are arrogant, and will always find some way to justify said arrogance, whether through having the supposed "correct faith", or through having no faith at all.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
In the 2006 census:

25.8% Roman Catholic, 18.7% Anglican, 19.4% Other Christian
2.1% Buddhist, 1.7% Muslim, 0.4% Jewish, 2.0% other, 18.7% No Religion, 11.2% Not described. (2006 census)
That section is probably the most lied on part of the census. People say they are religious because they used to be or because their family is and they want to fit in when they aren't actually religious at all. The % of people with no religion is in reality much higher.

On top of that you get what happens in my house... where my dad is the person who completes the census and he just writes whatever he wants on it. The only religious person in my house is my mum, and even she isn't very religious. But when census time comes around my dad puts himself down as Protestant because that is what he grew up as and myself and my siblings down as Catholic because that is what we were baptised as. He knows that we are not religious, in fact we have even told him 'stop putting as down as Catholic on the census', but he does it anyway.

dp624

HSC
That section is probably the most lied on part of the census. People say they are religious because they used to be or because their family is and they want to fit in when they aren't actually religious at all. The % of people with no religion is in reality much higher.

On top of that you get what happens in my house... where my dad is the person who completes the census and he just writes whatever he wants on it. The only religious person in my house is my mum, and even she isn't very religious. But when census time comes around my dad puts himself down as Protestant because that is what he grew up as and myself and my siblings down as Catholic because that is what we were baptised as. He knows that we are not religious, in fact we have even told him 'stop putting as down as Catholic on the census', but he does it anyway.
I totally agree with this post; people lie about religion a lot. Quite a few people I know do what you're chronicaling.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC

Oh, I'm sure they do. I believe I put "Jedi" on my last census. :eek:

But - your dad does your censuses? Um, you should tell him that that is very illegal if you're an adult.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I'm an athiest. My friends know it and so does my family.

I was raised as a catholic, went to a catholic primary and am currently going to a catholic high school. When i was younger i went to sunday school and even won all the competitions there. So yes i'm an aethiest, but i know more about catholicism/christianity than most so called catholics do. I still go to mass naerly every week to please my mother though... it's my daydreaming time.

I just happen to see the faults/hyprocrisies of faith and have no need for it or a possibly existent higher power in my life.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
In the 2006 census:
i think the no religion would be more, as i think i wrote down anglican because we were all baptised in the anglican church so i just wrote it there. it's not as if we'd been to church in the past ten years or anything. it just seemed to be what i had to do.

EDIT; just read the rest of the thread. my bad.

Last edited:

sarsieisme

HSC
If the whole world were to be athiest... would it be a better place?
yes

religion serves no purpose except to oppress others through the promise of an afterlife
religion serves a few purposes:
-helps people who some may say, to be too weak to depend on themselves
-stops someone killing someone else for fear of retribution in the afterlife [stops people doing bad stuff out of general fear of retribution really]
-[this contradicts the above] gives a reason for masses of people to kill other masses of people
-i guess, hope?

BTW im an athiest. If some 'being' comes to me and tells me that they are 'God', im more inclined to believe someones spiked something i've eaten.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Do you guys think though, if we got rid of religion per se, and all became atheists, then we would still have wars among atheist sects?

Ie South Park season 10

sarsieisme

HSC
Do you guys think though, if we got rid of religion per se, and all became atheists, then we would still have wars among atheist sects?

Ie South Park season 10
probably, any reason to flaunt your country's military potential. Humans love conflict [as proved multiple times in BOS forums :)]

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC

Ie South Park season 10
You remember the Simpson's episode where Lionel Hutz imagines a world without lawyers? Well that's what it would be like without religion.
lol.

krels

HSC
yeah i am, purely because my scripture teacher told me a bus might hit me and i would go to hell.
but if i was religious, i would be Buddhist cause they are peaceful.

Strawbaby

General Store
HSC
My position is fairly well summed up in this: I once asked my father when I was very young, what happens when you die? His answer was, "you just stop existing, and your body rots in the ground". I found it a perfectly acceptable answer.
Raised as an atheist, have no personal desire nor need for religion. I feel neither the need to spread it around or keep it to myself - it just is. I doubt anyone cares, anyway.

K

khorne

Usually I find Atheists ignorant and just closed off to the idea of faith, their ignorance is just that they choose to reject any kind of blind faith without proof but don't actively seek answes to why people choose these faiths. They just say, Fuck whatever you believe in... Whatever it is.

If you've read the Bible, Torah and Qu'ran and got absolutely nothing from them then You have every right to be an Atheist. That and some Atheists couldn't give you a coherent and sensible reason why A Billion Years ago.... there was nothing and then it Exploded. Those people don't deserve to call themselves Atheists.

Just suddenly deciding to be an Atheist without at least trying to look for some answers is just lazy and ignorant. Just picking the side that has no happy ending is just nihilistic.

Hench why I'm an agonostic... There might be a God, there might not. I'm still open to change.
Usually I find Christians ignorant and just closed off to the idea of atheism, their ignorance is just that they choose to reject any kind of idea other then their own, but don't actively seek answers to why god exists. They just say, Fuck I believe in God, you should too.

If you've read the Metaphysics, The God delusion and God is not Great and got absolutely nothing from them, then You are an idiot. That and some Christians couldn't give you a coherent and sensible reason why God exists and how he operates. Those people don't deserve to call themselves Christians.

Just suddenly deciding to be a Christian without at least trying to look for some answers as to why the universe was formed, etc is just lazy and ignorant.

Easily adapted post.

You sir, are an idiot. You claim we are ignorant since we are not led by blind faith, attempting to vindicate a god which doesn't exist. (I said it outright :D)

Dawkins also raises a very valid set of observations about atheists:

1. Atheists can be happy, balanced, moral, and intellectually fulfilled.
2. Natural selection and similar scientific theories are superior to a "God hypothesis"—the illusion of intelligent design—in explaining the living world and the cosmos.
3. Children should not be labeled by their parents' religion. Terms like "Catholic child" or "Muslim child" should make people cringe.
4. Atheists should be proud, not apologetic, because atheism is evidence of a healthy, independent mind.

You have every right to practice your religion, and I support it, however, you must understand, that NO ONE CARES what religion you are. All religions should be private affairs, between you are your deity, and no one needs to be involved. Religion should be kept private too. Additionally, outside the religion's "moral guidance" it should not comment on ANY matters which do not concern it. Religious leaders have little or NO authority on matters relating to education and science, as well as matter regarding the government. Additionally, religions should attempt to embrace the current context and culture, as well as being tolerant to others.

Personally, I don't give a shit if "I'll burn in hell". How do you know you're even praying to the right god? I find it highly amusing that a collection of people from 2000 years ago have managed to brainwash so many people into believing something, which is essentially a coping mechanism, something designed to offer solace in times of great need. But what is beneficial about religion? Come on? What can you argue that people gain from religion? Do you gain moral righteousness? No, you can do that without religion, by being a good person. What about peace? Well no..not really...I'm quite sure a lot of wars which occurred during history had strong religious backings. The most religion does is act as an intellectual buffer, beating down all new theories which seem to contradict it.

Of course, this is a very general view, and wouldn't apply to all religions equally.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)