Attaching batteries to your pen? (1 Viewer)

Squishxmishyx

Olive You.
HSC
I've been at the library these holidays and I see all these students writing with batteries attached to their pens..
Apparently it makes the pen heavy so when it comes to the actual HSC you can remove it, thus allowing you to write quicker.
IS THAT TRUE?!
WOULDN'T THE PEN JUST WEAR YOUR HAND OUT BEFORE THE HSC?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Think of it as exercising the months before coming up to a marathon.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
It's a pen, it's not that hard to write fast with.

I tried it for a few months, then tried it for some exams, didn't really make a difference. Although that may have come from a lack of things to write about.

Try it, but don't get your hopes up.

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
my writing speed is ridiculously fast I dont need no batteries on ma pen

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
hahaha that's so fucking ridiculous

i'd laugh if i saw that irl

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
I've been at the library these holidays and I see all these students writing with batteries attached to their pens..
Apparently it makes the pen heavy so when it comes to the actual HSC you can remove it, thus allowing you to write quicker.
IS THAT TRUE?!
I've observed with horror the way students write nowadays. I've tried to get my students to do their handwriting correctly but realise it is not easy. I was bemused to read that Barker College's principal even had to engage an occupational therapist (I had to consult Wikipedia to find out what an O/T is). I thought it was ridiculous. But on reflection I can see why. I found it hard to re-train my students. But long ago, when I was a kid, even the slowest students had no handwriting problems,

One of the main problems is the wrong grip. I suspect this is due to young children in kindies being encouraged to write or scrawl their drawings. They are doing this before their hands are fully developed to hold(grip) the pen or pencil or crayon correctly. So they hold it any which way (invariably the wrong way) they can. Over time their wrong grip become part of them as they grow into young adulthood,

Apart from the grip, students do not know/care/bother about letter formation and how to write them correctly. The way some of them even write the numeral "5" can even be unbelievably comical.

Understandably we are in an age of keyboard/mouse input. But you still have to handwrite in your HSC exams. So you want to be able to write and legibly (unlike 35 and more years ago, employers no longer check out your handwriting, you don't need a beautiful hand, but at least others must be able to read your handwriting readily!). To write quickly the best approach is to do running-writing. But most of your younger teachers, like you, don't know how - so you have no one, like me, to teach you how.

I think in 2009, there were several very active threads on this handwriting issue. Many discussed about the types of pens to use - which/ type. brand etc of ballpen/felt-tip pen/fountain pen. I thought this was essentially barking up the wrong tree. People were addressing the wrong issue. The fundamental aspects are: how to hold your pen, to ensure the maximum degree of freedom; how to write the various letters nicely and finally how to execute this in a speedy smooth-flowing running writing.

I put in my 2-cents into the debate not with much success. I even felt strongly enough to offer to teach anyone interested for free how to write. Nothing materialised. Some were apprehensive that they might run into a pedo trawling on bos.

If anyone is seriosly wanting to learn to write properly, let me know. We can arrange something if sufficient number are interested (for your personal safety!).

Last edited:

Arceupins

Banned
HSC
I put in my 2-cents into the debate not with much success. I even felt strongly enough to offer to teach anyone interested for free how to write. Nothing materialised. Some were apprehensive that tey might run into a pedo trawling on bos.

If anyone is seriosly wanting to learn to write properly, let me know. We can arrange something if sufficient number are interested (for youe personal safety!)
Haha I remember that. I wanted to partake but nobody else seemed keen; I ended up developing an awfully messy mix of handwriting and printing that's almost illegible! I think it provided a disadvantage (fairly slow) during the HSC but I'm not much worried about it anymore.

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
I think putting a battery on the pen is a stupid idea. It would just make my handwriting worse than it already is.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
I think putting a battery on the pen is a stupid idea. It would just make my handwriting worse than it already is.
It is an example of a vain attempt at achieving faster writing.It's barking up the wrong tree.

Interestingly this modern phenomenon of crappy handwriting is not confined to written English. Chinese handwriting is also being affected.

Last edited:

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Understandably we are in an age of keyboard/mouse input. But you still have to handwrite in your HSC exams. So you want to be able to write and legibly (unlike 35 and more years ago, employers no longer check out your handwriting, you don't need a beautiful hand, but at least others must be able to read your handwriting readily!). To write quickly the best approach is to do running-writing. But most of your younger teachers, like you, don't know how - so you have no one, like me, to teach you how.
We have soem chick at our school who helps with people's writing, and she basically told me no to do running writing/cursive as it was too messy, but this was after I started to correct myself anyway. I write incredibly slow now but I'm getting used to it, and people still say they can't read my writing but they're fuckwits.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
I grip my pen the wrong way, after writing an essay - it aches. I've been instructed to hold it properly by my parents and teacher but I always resolve to this habit. It became somewhat intrinsic.

Jaundice

Banned
HSC
N/A
Practice and you can write neat. This is crazy I still have beautiful handwritting when I speed write. I've probably got it wrong because it's been years since my hsc but I think it was about 500 words in 20 minutes or more - work of quality, mind you. I just have a weak wrist from loosing too many arm wrestles so I get strained wrists easily.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
there are digital pens now, that remember everything you wrote.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
We have soem chick at our school
How old is this chick? How much does she know about running writing?

By the way if you still need help with better handwriting, organise an informal weekend group. I will explain and show how.

Last edited:

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
How old is this chick? How much does she know about running writing?
Some*
Shit...
She's pretty old. I go to an all guys school, so it's not like she's a student. I guess she knows a fair bit since that's part of her job...
By the way if you still need help with better handwriting, organise an informal weekend group. I will explain and show how.
I'm not organising a group, my friends would just tease me.
I'm also excellent in spelling, English grammar etc . . . but no one seems to think they are relevant. In fact one Teacher of English posted her services on bos. I pointed out the poor grammar . . . she reckon she's correct. I didn't want to start a feud and left it at that.
I don't need help with spelling or grammar, I've been correcting your writing in my head since I started reading it.
Yeah, most English teachers are idiots, if they were aany good at English they would be a lawyer or some shit.
Whether you want to do something well or not is up to you. Nowadays the boundaries have become so rubbery that English has gone feral. They are more interested in critical analysis while the basic foundations do not matter any more.
Yeah, in the English competitions I always got credits but I hate writing essays and shit, and I hate analysing shit, something loses its place as a piece of art after you break it down and study it too much.
anymore*

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
IS THAT TRUE?!
It sorta does work... it did for me in preliminary when I was practicing this idea, but I gave up in the HSC with it because I did a lot less handwriting and used the computer a lot more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)