Audi or Holden OR.... (1 Viewer)

Pete1555

HSC
Hey all,

I'm going to purchase a car very soon, but I just don't know what to really buy. My budget is around 27-30 grand, and I'm currently trying to decipher on which care will be better for me. I'm thinking between an Audi or an Australian/Japanese owned vehicle.

Currently, I have my eye on an Audi A4 2008 which is very nice and has all the options, however insurance will be close to 4-5 grand, and maintenance costs will be extremely expensive. Also its close to 85,000km so the belt will cost about 8 grand to fix...

However, Australian/Japanese (Lexus, Holden, Ford) cars will be a lot cheaper to maintain and could probably get it a year old (2012) model for the same price.

So basically, I'm kinda tossing between getting a car for its image or a car which will be more economic for me. I'll be able to afford the Audi, however it will be another headache to maintain it (e.g. Audi brakes: a few thousand whilst Ford brakes: a few hundred)...

So what do you reckon I should do.... Go for the image or just get an economic car. Also what which car would you buy with 27-30 grand... the Audi or another car?

Thanks!

P.S. Does anyone know the maintenance cost for an Audi A4?

Last edited:

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I wouldn't suggest the Audi, definitely not worth paying 4-5 grand for insurance. But besides that i've heard it's a good idea to stay away from used late-ish Audi/BMW/Mercedes models. Electrical problems can be a nightmare and at 5 years old it's unlikely to be the first owner, it may have even been a leased car and both of those facts don't bode well for maintenance on cars that aren't cheap to maintain.

I'd be inclined to suggest a slightly older Japanese (or Australian if you wish) car and that you spend all that money on your first (or while on P plates) cars unless that is nothing nothing to you or your parents. Btw, have you looked into being listed under your parent's insurance?

Pete1555

HSC
I wouldn't suggest the Audi, definitely not worth paying 4-5 grand for insurance. But besides that i've heard it's a good idea to stay away from used late-ish Audi/BMW/Mercedes models. Electrical problems can be a nightmare and at 5 years old it's unlikely to be the first owner, it may have even been a leased car and both of those facts don't bode well for maintenance on cars that aren't cheap to maintain.
Hmm, well the owner has just paid off the lease and the car has only be owned by one owner.

I'd be inclined to suggest a slightly older Japanese (or Australian if you wish) car and that you spend all that money on your first (or while on P plates) cars unless that is nothing nothing to you or your parents. Btw, have you looked into being listed under your parent's insurance?
My parents want me to get the Audi rather than another car, but they said that the maintenance will be fine, however I don't really want to work or rely on my parents to pay for the car.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
The Lexus would be good if you still wanted that luxury look without the audi type prices, an is300? You could go the complete opposite way and buy an ft86 :p

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Toyota corolla or mazda 3. Don't spend the full amount of money on a car. Luxury cars are for old people.

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
get a honda accord euro, car that I wouldve gotten

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Also lol wut, just read that the Audi is due for a timing belt change. 8k is a joke for that, where did you get that quote? That can't be right - could probably get a Japanese engine completely rebuilt with forged components for that price lmao.

Last edited:

Pete1555

HSC
Also lol wut, just read that the Audi is due for a timing belt change. 8k is a joke for that, where did you get that quote? That can't be right - could probably get a Japanese engine completely rebuilt with forged components for that price lmao.
I'm just basing it off my mums vehicle. She owns an Audi A6 which costs 8 grand for a timing belt and the gearbox cost 15 grand... ridiculous

But then again she has a V8.... So, then how much would an A4 2.0TDI belt and water pump cost :S

Last edited:

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I'm just basing it off my mums vehicle. She owns an Audi A6 which costs 8 grand for a timing belt and the gearbox cost 15 grand... ridiculous
Wow. You should look into that, most the cost of getting a timing belt changed is the labour. With a 5 year old car it'd be worth getting it done somewhere besides the dealer.

Last edited:

Siddy123

HSC
27-30k
get a 86 bro, in ur budget, best brand new p-plater suitable car out there atm

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Could get a forged sr20 for that lol, or maybe a v-cam for an rb26....

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
But then again she has a V8.... So, then how much would an A4 2.0TDI belt and water pump cost :S
Like I said, it's all about the labour involved. From my understanding it's more about how the car was designed (for ease of access and maintenance) rather than how big or complex the engine is.

Oh and TDI... Are you going to be driving it long distances? I'm not sure if it's just an old myth now but i'm under the impression that it's not good for a diesel engine if you are not driving long distances and that the fuel economy wouldn't be as good as it should be.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
27-30k
get a 86 bro, in ur budget, best brand new p-plater suitable car out there atm
They're around $35k on road from what I hear. If I was alread spending 30 I would get the extra 5 for an 86 though.

Siddy123

HSC
They're around $35k on road from what I hear. If I was alread spending 30 I would get the extra 5 for an 86 though.
exactly!
though tbh if i was OP i'd buy a nice s15 or a dc5 type r and save the other half of my cash for something else.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
exactly!
though tbh if i was OP i'd buy a nice s15 or a dc5 type r and save the other half of my cash for something else.
Buy an s15 autech for 15-20k and mod it suspension and looks wise. When you get off your p's, transfer all the parts to a spec R.

Winning

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)