Australia is to announce $73bn in defence spending aimed at equipping its military. (1 Viewer)

discuss

• This is OTT. No one is out to get us.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Great idea. We live in a dangerous world.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
HSC
Australia outlines military plans

Australia is to announce about $73bn (£49bn) in defence spending aimed at equipping its military for the next two decades.
Key purchases include 100 fighter jets and 12 new submarines, replacing the current fleet of six.
Eight frigates and 24 combat helicopters are also on the list, in the country's first defence white paper for 10 years.
Prime Minister Kevin Rudd denied that the spending was a response to China.
"It follows very plainly that here in the Asia-Pacific region, there are in certain parts of the region the build-up of armed forces," he said on Friday.
"We simply need to take a calm, measured, responsible approach for the future."
The white paper will be published later on Saturday.
'Self-reliance'
Defence Minister Joel Fitzgibbon said that the paper acknowledged that the emergence of new powers could lead to some strategic competition across the globe.
"It's very prudent for the government to ensure against the rift that might flow from that increased strategic competition and, of course, it's very prudent for us to recommit to that doctrine of self-reliance," he told Australian radio.
"In other words, we need to be able to defend our country without necessarily relying on the assistance of other nation states."
The 12 new hunter-killer submarines - which will be built in Australia - will replace the current fleet of six.
One hundred F-35 fighters will also be purchased over the next decade.
Funds will also be allocated to counter cyber and electronic warfare.
I don't understand how we are going to run 12 submarines when we don't even have enough personnel to run 6.

Last edited:

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
Re: Australia is to announce $73bn in defence spending aimed at equipping its militar

I don't understand how we are going to run 12 submarines when we don't even have enough personnel to run 6.
rudd's submarines will sink faster than the economy under his management

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
Re: Australia is to announce $73bn in defence spending aimed at equipping its militar

i Would prefer 73 bn in RnD so we can make our own dick smith mech warriors

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A

It's all part of Rudd's quest to be a Prime Minster who will be remembered for his vision and policy largesse.

Unfortunately, it seems to be occurring at the cost of economic responsibility. Any issues of debt can be reduced to the 'global economic downturn'...

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC

Conscription, yo.

The Supreme Leader Chairman Ruddles means business. Albeit calm, measured responsible business.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC

It's all part of Rudd's quest to be a Prime Minster who will be remembered for his vision and policy largesse.

Unfortunately, it seems to be occurring at the cost of economic responsibility. Any issues of debt can be reduced to the 'global economic downturn'...
he's spending our way out of debt

Uncle

Banned
HSC

homg you posted this quicker than i did!

Funds will also be allocated to counter cyber and electronic warfare.
Taliban are a bunch of primitive animals.
They recently evolved from sticks and stones to AK-47s and RPGs.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC

Higher salaries.
Or conscription.
Or drug them, cast off and head out to sea, then watch as they realise they're trapped there.

Natendo

HSC

I dunno....

There's plenty of sea men out there!

geddit?

.... semen?

:mad1:

fleckar

HSC

why

zstar

HSC
N/A

I propose Holden be contracted to build a death star and then we can build an clone army of Tania zaetta's who will fight as well as "entertain".

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A

I don't see what's bad about that tbh...

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC

Not enough in my opinion.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC

Sure as hell beats another "stimulus package".

44Ronin

HSC

I hear that Putin plans on putting airbases in Cuba and Venezuela.

Those red bastards are in bed with imperialist ruskies, and Putin is no idiot.

Failure_123

HSC

Its an attempt to boost the economy. For instance when nations spent substantial funds on military weapons in world war 2, it got the world out of the Great Depression.

Lentern

HSC

I think Kevin plans to annex half of southern Africa. At first he says we're going into Zimbabwe to bring them democracy. Then he says he is just going to stay to help support civilian administration until it gets its feet grounded. The "Zimbabwe" government invites the troops to stay. The South Africans are said to be housing pro Mugabe renegades who keep launching guerrilla raids on Zimbabwe. They move Australian tropps onto the border to prevent the raids they say. They move deeper into the RSA, "to create a buffer zone" Kevin says, The South African government don't like this and order them to leave. We refuse. The South African government began mobilising troops as a warning, we interprate it as an act of war wiping them out in a pre-emptive strike and seizing Cape Town. Before too long it'll be world war three, Kevin v Gaddafi the battle ground central Africa.

I might write a novel now.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC

we allready knew about the airforce upgrade, i was pretty happy with the proposed jsf acquisitions as they fit our profile and what we need perfectly, the naval upgrade whilst expensive is also very necessary, our navy is currently a joke, probably the worst among the developed worlds and considering the coast we need to cover, navy and airforce should be our focus.

The funny thing about military spending is that it is always seen in a bad light, until we get invaded or attacked and then people wonder why we didnt spend more on our defence forces.

Lentern

HSC

we allready knew about the airforce upgrade, i was pretty happy with the proposed jsf acquisitions as they fit our profile and what we need perfectly, the naval upgrade whilst expensive is also very necessary, our navy is currently a joke, probably the worst among the developed worlds and considering the coast we need to cover, navy and airforce should be our focus.

The funny thing about military spending is that it is always seen in a bad light, until we get invaded or attacked and then people wonder why we didnt spend more on our defence forces.
A nation of 21 million with a standing army of 50 thousand would need lightsabers and iron man suits for this funding to make a difference. You could pump 200 billion into the upgrading of our equipment, unless you want to go nuclear we couldn't repel any serious invasion attempts.

John Howard whatever his faults was clever enough to realise we've got a much better chance of surviving an invasion by courting the good will of nations that could actually make a difference.

44Ronin

HSC

A nation of 21 million with a standing army of 50 thousand would need lightsabers and iron man suits for this funding to make a difference. You could pump 200 billion into the upgrading of our equipment, unless you want to go nuclear we couldn't repel any serious invasion attempts.

John Howard whatever his faults was clever enough to realise we've got a much better chance of surviving an invasion by courting the good will of nations that could actually make a difference.
Hahha you don't get it...........we need to hold out before help arrives

Besides, if Australia is directly attacked and threatened there will be a draft.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)