australian institue of music audition (help please, like seriously) [merged] (1 Viewer)

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
okay, so i have this friend
he really wants to do a Bachelor of Music, and so he's applied for UNE, UNSW, UNCLE and UWS.
he only did Music 1 for his HSC, and his theory doesnt go beyond that.
So for UNE and UNSW he didnt get in, due to his poor theory skills, but for UNCLE he only had to perform an audition, no theory test, and was told he would be contacted within 5 days if he got in.

Its been a week, and no reply so i'm assuming he didnt get in.

His UWS audition is tomorrow and theres no theory exam, just an audition. Does he have any chance of getting in? He is going to be so cut if he doesnt, but its partially his own fault i think for not practicing enough and for not making an effort to learn the required theory. And just now he's telling me he cant find his guitar. HIS AUDITION IS TOMORROW!

What are some other options he could take which will lead to him becoming a high school music teacher?

jet

Banned
HSC
Re: attn: musical people. my friend is an idiot.

Wait a year, and try again?

You do a bachelor of music majoring in education (I'm p. sure) or otherwise, do BMus majoring in whatever you want, and do a MTeach.

EDIT: Did he not know the standard of knowledge needed? It's pretty high (Grade 6-ish iirc)

Last edited:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A

Chances are slim. Not impossible, but not looking great.

My advice would be for him to take the year off, and really practice his instrument. As there are a huge amount of guitarists out their, he's going to have to be really dedicated. Even learning an extra instrument (such as harmonica if he plays acoustic) or even vocals would help him.

Learning the theory is a must. How can you teach, if you don't know what you're teaching...

Plus, after the year, he can reassess his goals, and see if this is what he really wants to do.

John McCain

Horse liberty
HSC
N/A

Southern Cross University has an excellent music program, and you can major in music education

Entry is only through UAC application, it's entirely based on HSC results, there is no audition or theory test. There is only an audition if you choose to major in performance.

The program is 'contemporary music', and it's designed to reflect the fact that traditional music theory, notation have little relevance or interest to many contemporary musicians.

http://www.scu.edu.au/coursesin2010/?action=matrix&command=matrix_temp_load&spk_no=10144

Freckles14

HSC

I remember my music teacher saying that if you do Music1 or only up to Grade 5 AMEB, you can only teach junior music and Music1. To teach Music2 you have to have done it / up to AMusA AMEB.

I don't get why he wouldn't study the theory if he knew it was required. There's a lot and it's easier to spread it out over a couple of years if you need to get it done for whatever reason.

If he really, really wants to be a high school music teacher, I'd say maybe apply to the Southern Cross course mentioned but defer for a year and get his practical and theory skills up to a high standard. And maybe try to learn another instrument, like Absolutezero said - vocals, harmonica, even percussion like triangle - music teachers in my experience know how to play quite a few instruments with at least rudimentary skill.

Hope he does okay in the audition. And that he found his guitar!

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad

okay so he had his last audition today, it went terribly
they cut him off in the middle of his second song (he does guitar and vocals) and the auditioner asked him to do improvisation or something, and then asked him to play middle C on the piano and sing 5 notes above it, first try shes like "no, thats an octave, try again", so he did and shes like "thats 4 notes above, try again" and he did and shes like "thats 6 notes above, sing somewhere in the middle of the two and we can move on" and yeah he just said it went terribly for him

so now he's basically screwed for uni, since he didnt get into any of his courses!
thanks john mccain, ill let him know about that course and HOPEFULLY he can get into it if he gets the required ATAR :S

what are some other options for him, if he doesnt get into that? do any universities offer an arts degree with a music major so he can learn the theory first, then hopefully transfer to a bachelor of music or something?

thanks everyone for replies so far

TateDimech21

HSC

Does this friend go to bede aswell

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad

he sure does... remember jezza?

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad

why doesn't he just get into a course and then just transfer to music after first year?

well thats wat i was thinking, maybe he could do a bachelor of arts with a music major, learn the theory and then try to transfer

but im not sure which unis offer a music major? and i dont think his ATAR will be very high, probably not higher than 75

jet

Banned
HSC

It will be quite hard to fit a few years worth of music theory into one year. All that harmony stuff takes time.

xxstef

languages are my world <3
HSC

well thats wat i was thinking, maybe he could do a bachelor of arts with a music major, learn the theory and then try to transfer

but im not sure which unis offer a music major? and i dont think his ATAR will be very high, probably not higher than 75
I'm pretty sure you can take a music major in USyd's BA, but he might not make the cutoff for that. Perhaps UNSW can as well?

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad

does anybody know whether or not its easier to get into a bachelor of music at AIM (the australian institute of music) or at an actual university?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A

does anybody know whether or not its easier to get into a bachelor of music at AIM (the australian institute of music) or at an actual university?
My guess would be that university is easier, but I've nothing to really base it on.

philphie

Banned
HSC

aim is much easier to get into, apart from uws i think. a lot of my friends go to aim, but aim is private and expensive. all of my mates are on scholarships. my personal opinion for aim is that it is basically a place for Con rejects, but you never know, it might be our Berklee. i've seen some of their concerts, fairly alright.

philphie

Banned
HSC

also probably the best for contemporary music

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad

i hope ur right because my mate got rejected from UNSW, UNE, and hasnt heard from UWS... for UNCLE his audition met the requirements but his ATAR of 64.40 will probably screw him over for that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)