• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Australian Politics (1 Viewer)

spiny norman

HSC
I'll take that as a compliment. Rather be bland and dull than crash and burn a radical. Which is much the difference between Smith's career and Lathams.
Weren't Andrew Fisher, John Curtin, Ben Chifley, Gough Whitlam and Paul Keating all "crash and burn radicals"? Aren't they all far more successful than Stephen fucking Smith will ever be?

The guy's a dud. There are a number of fine Labor horses to back. Go get behind one of them - Smith's fan club will recover from its 100% membership loss.

Lentern

HSC
Weren't Andrew Fisher, John Curtin, Ben Chifley, Gough Whitlam and Paul Keating all "crash and burn radicals"? Aren't they all far more successful than Stephen fucking Smith will ever be?

The guy's a dud. There are a number of fine Labor horses to back. Go get behind one of them - Smith's fan club will recover from its 100% membership loss.
For one thing I think the era comparisons are silly, Fisher I don't know enough of to really comment on but it wouldn't surprise me if the federal electorate had changed a bit since 1910.
As I understand it, correct me if I'm wrong Curtin, chifley and Keating never won elections from opposition.

Whitlam could be the exception, but then others might say to bleed 31 seats in three years is fairly crash and burn kind of stuff.

Lentern

HSC
Rees prefered premier and approval rating still beating fatcats but voting intentions have the coalition winning by 12 points. Either Fatcat has a super duper frontbench or the some if not all of these figures are bull butter. Actually there is a bit of a figure fiddling in that they've divided "other" votes straight down the middle, even preferences. In reality Labor will harvest far more with the Greens dominated the "other vote".

Interestingly QLD labor is the second oldest government in Australia after her big brother south of the border and yet is still slightly more popular than her LNP rivals. In fact Anna Bligh is the third most popular head of government in Australia after Kevin Rudd and Colin Barnett. It could just be because Queensland is a weird state, probably the only populace who seem to think they are Queenslanders first and Australians second, It's the only state where more people live outside the greater capital than within and it's got no upper house. Maybe they contribute to why Queensland bucks the trend of the other states. It was pretty much all LNP from 2001-2007 whereas the other longserving labor state governments tended to be federal labor's key states. But the crucial point methinks is that after WA it recieves more Commonwealth funding per capita than any other state, and that there is a Queenslander in Canberra also leaves the electorate a bit gruntled.

What that all comes back to is that NSW labor are not the bumbling oafs we all accuse them of being, they are the governors of an underfunded state whom have been in far too long to have any political capital left in the tank.

On a little aside Beaudesert will be a hoot to watch. A marginal seat with a retiring MP, two high profile independants running, It'll be a free for all. Could well see a democrat or something shoot through with a skilled preferance harvest.

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
I think O'Farrell is doing a decent job. Even though I could do just as well because all he has to do is point out the incumbent's myriad flaws.

So from those polls, I would extrapolate that the people don't really care who in in charge of the Libs because they are voting them in regardless due to a decade of Labor turmoil. Seems fair enough.

Lentern

HSC
I think O'Farrell is doing a decent job. Even though I could do just as well because all he has to do is point out the incumbent's myriad flaws.

So from those polls, I would extrapolate that the people don't really care who in in charge of the Libs because they are voting them in regardless due to a decade of Labor turmoil. Seems fair enough.
Labor turmoil oh come on. It's suffering because it's old. Why do you think Mike Rann seems so much more liked than his fellow labor premiers and chief ministers besides Bligh?

Considering this government entered government from opposition with a minority of the vote before enjoying spectacular success in every subsequent election it is actually a very good government. Whilst Debnam was a bit of a Latham but the Carr re-elections were pretty good indications that the people were happy with what the government was doing. And the government is still for the large part doing same sort of things, it's just it's much older, and Australians are simple people, they don't vote on such petty things as policies or integrity.

lol, imagine if labor wins the next state elections? fucking LOL
It's actually a lot more possible than you think. Certainly unlikely but certainly not unrealistic. Something like this could happen, Baird thinking the election is in the bag decides it's his great chance to be premier and goes on to challenge Fat Cat. Fat Cat wins but his reputation is badly damaged and it's no secret that Baird is counting backbenchers again. Fat Cat particularly doesn't like Baird and is quite determined that he not be the next liberal premier so he looks for someone else ambitious who he can throw his wait behind. Let say Brad Hazard. Although a competent shadow minister Hazard has had no experience in leadership and runs an aggressive, belligerent, polarising campaign. Rees runs a small target, "better the devil you know" campaign and limps over the line.

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A
What that all comes back to is that NSW labor are not the bumbling oafs we all accuse them of being, they are the governors of an underfunded state whom have been in far too long to have any political capital left in the tank.

Are you seriously blaming the mismanagement of this state on the distribution of revenue from the GST?

If so, I think the credibility of your comments is tarnished forever. Your bias is beyond painful. Impartiality is good once in a while.

Lentern

HSC
Are you seriously blaming the mismanagement of this state on the distribution of revenue from the GST?

If so, I think the credibility of your comments is tarnished forever. Your bias is beyond painful. Impartiality is good once in a while.
No the distribution of the GST is fine, it's that NSW contribution to federal revenue through income taxes is massively disproportionate to the amount of money federal governments, Labor or Liberal, pump into the state be it 3rd party by giving grants to the state governments or directly funding services and infrastructure within the state. It would be in NSW's economic interest to secede, federal governments have been demanding of us for decades to give NT, SA and Queensland economic piggybacks. Our solution has for too long been flogging government assetts as quick fix sources of revenue and in the late years of the Carr government it began to show just how finite this solution was. Where do you expect NSW to get the money? raise payroll taxes or land taxes? That's going to save the economy make it harder to give people jobs and to buy homes.

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A
No the distribution of the GST is fine, it's that NSW contribution to federal revenue through income taxes is massively disproportionate to the amount of money federal governments, Labor or Liberal, pump into the state be it 3rd party by giving grants to the state governments or directly funding services and infrastructure within the state. It would be in NSW's economic interest to secede, federal governments have been demanding of us for decades to give NT, SA and Queensland economic piggybacks. Our solution has for too long been flogging government assetts as quick fix sources of revenue and in the late years of the Carr government it began to show just how finite this solution was. Where do you expect NSW to get the money? raise payroll taxes or land taxes? That's going to save the economy make it harder to give people jobs and to buy homes.
Before we are provided with more revenue, our government should learn to more efficiently use the money it already has. The waste and inefficiency is disgusting.

Lentern

HSC
Before we are provided with more revenue, our government should learn to more efficiently use the money it already has. The waste and inefficiency is disgusting.
Most likely yes, but no worse than the rest of states or indeed the federal government.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Lol Stello is giving every indication that he's interested in the leadership.
He'll make Tony Jones the MD of the ABC :cake:

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Lol Stello is giving every indication that he's interested in the leadership.
He'll make Tony Jones the MD of the ABC :cake:
Very interesting episode of Q&A thus far.

...and he'll make Rebecca Weisser the Chief Editor of The Australian. :D

HSC
Peter Costello is rude and unlikeable. An arrogant retard of man who prospers through the assault of straw men.

I wish my father was Lindsay Tanner :eek:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Haha Tanner has always reminded me of my father

Wonder what Stello's playing at? Surely he'd wait for something horrifically damning against the Rudd gvt to make a move on Turnbull before 2010. But... this is the most frank i've seen him about taking the leadership quickly.
Maybe he's just trying to make sure Turnbull loses 2010

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)