• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Australian Politics (4 Viewers)

Lentern

HSC
Haha Tanner has always reminded me of my father

Wonder what Stello's playing at? Surely he'd wait for something horrifically damning against the Rudd gvt to make a move on Turnbull before 2010. But... this is the most frank i've seen him about taking the leadership quickly.
Maybe he's just trying to make sure Turnbull loses 2010
I knew there was something I wanted to record tonight, damn it. Anyway like you I'm inclined to think he won't make a move into the election is, you know, winnable. Once Costello plays him self into a position where he is clearly the choice of the libs, and it is clear that he wants it, does he have a time limit to take it? I'm inclined to think that until another lib plays himself into a winning position(which I don't believe will happen in the next three years) Costello will more or less be able to reserve it. Wtih the departure of Downer, Howard and Nelson Costello has an unrivalled seniority really.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Costello really did go too far on Q&A last night. All the days news outlets reported his refusal to rule out returning to the front bench.

When cousins was ranting about how "this country needs an opposition leader who can lead this country out of this crisis, and the Liberal current leader is a shithouse failure" COSTELLO DID NOT REFUTE THE ASSAULT ON TURNBULLS LEADERSHIP.

This is completely unacceptable.

HSC
N/A
ive got a feeling he wants his party to beg him to take up opposition leader. after all, they left him hanging when they backed Johny boy leading into the last election.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
erm, not if you believe that he always has been...

Lentern

HSC
ive got a feeling he wants his party to beg him to take up opposition leader. after all, they left him hanging when they backed Johny boy leading into the last election.
They didn't back Howard so to speak. Howard was very artful in making a challenge difficult. He first said publicly that if the party felt he should not lead the party any longer then he would leave when that was made clear to him but so long as he felt he had the support of the party he'd stay on. When it began to become unlikely that he would win the election he spoke to frontbenchers one by one asking them directly whether they thought he was going to lose the next election, Only two ministers were audacious enough to say yes, it was a very awkward position to be put into. When Lord Downer atlast told Howard that the general view was that Costello was a more likely winner than Howard he again changed his tune saying that if Costello defeated Howard in a leadership challenge he would happilly step aside and support him knowing that was the parties view. By this stage Rudd was miles ahead in the polls and a bitter leadership struggle would have finished off both Howard and Costello. With a few exceptions, the party did not want Howard, they just couldn't get rid of him.

Lentern

HSC
erm, not if you believe that he always has been...
Funny, after it became clear Crean was not going to lead the party to the next election liberal seniors held a meeting more or less to discuss what approach they should take if the leader wasn't Beazley. In the meeting it was decided they need not worry about Rudd, he was too academic and pompous, he seemed weak and didn't have the experience and seniority to win an election. Plus he was weak in parliament, didn't have the ability to really apply pressure to the government. Carmen Lawrence was considered far more of a threat then Kevin Rudd.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Funny, after it became clear Crean was not going to lead the party to the next election liberal seniors held a meeting more or less to discuss what approach they should take if the leader wasn't Beazley. In the meeting it was decided they need not worry about Rudd, he was too academic and pompous, he seemed weak and didn't have the experience and seniority to win an election. Plus he was weak in parliament, didn't have the ability to really apply pressure to the government. Carmen Lawrence was considered far more of a threat then Kevin Rudd.
Who decided? What meeting? ??? Rudd was very solid in foreign affairs and this was widely acknowledged. Carmen Lawrence was finished by scandal years ago...

Lentern

HSC
Who decided? What meeting? ??? Rudd was very solid in foreign affairs and this was widely acknowledged. Carmen Lawrence was finished by scandal years ago...
The only names given were Howard, Costello and Peter Shergold, although ten people were supposedly there. As I said Rudd was percieved as too academic for the job, too long winded, he wasn't expected to go down well with the core labor supporting blue collar worker. The main plus about Lawrence was that a western Australian leading the labor party might threaten what was core liberal territory in WA as indeed it did under Beazley. There was the added threat that she had experience being at the top, none of the other contenders had much experience actually governing as opposed to being part of a legislature.

Also remember this was before Rudd really came to prominence, I think it was the 04 campaign where he really got recognised as one of the ablest frontbenchers in parliament.

Finally Lawrence wasn't rated a huge threat, merely pointing out how lowly Rudd was once thought of.

Lentern

HSC
And how lowly Rudd we be thought of in the future..
You really don't understand politics do you. Rudd will be immortalised by around half the nation in much the way Howard was, another twenty percent will respsect him even though they didn't really think too much of him and they will do so not because he was a great man or great governor but because he like Howard was a very skilled, clever politician.

Edit: Another contributing factor was that he was in the right place at the right time.

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
The only names given were Howard, Costello and Peter Shergold, although ten people were supposedly there. As I said Rudd was percieved as too academic for the job, too long winded, he wasn't expected to go down well with the core labor supporting blue collar worker. The main plus about Lawrence was that a western Australian leading the labor party might threaten what was core liberal territory in WA as indeed it did under Beazley. There was the added threat that she had experience being at the top, none of the other contenders had much experience actually governing as opposed to being part of a legislature.

Also remember this was before Rudd really came to prominence, I think it was the 04 campaign where he really got recognised as one of the ablest frontbenchers in parliament.

Finally Lawrence wasn't rated a huge threat, merely pointing out how lowly Rudd was once thought of.
Sloppy sources
sloppy souces

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
You really don't understand politics do you. Rudd will be immortalised by around half the nation in much the way Howard was, another twenty percent will respsect him even though they didn't really think too much of him and they will do so not because he was a great man or great governor but because he like Howard was a very skilled, clever politician.

Edit: Another contributing factor was that he was in the right place at the right time.
Lentern, you really do overestimate the nations interest in politics.

He may be well liked by some, not liked by some, despised by others and the rest wont give a shit, but imho he'll never be immortalised as you say. This comment is more directed at politics in general rather than any party preference.

HSC
N/A
fuck im going to hit lentern one day.
you see, there are some people who just dont see the real picture, and lentern is one of them
the bloke will die defending labor, i am yet to see such committed liberals around bos.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
fuck im going to hit lentern one day.
you see, there are some people who just dont see the real picture, and lentern is one of them
the bloke will die defending labor, i am yet to see such committed liberals around bos.
Hi.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)