Banned
HSC
Re: Big Talk, Little Action - Kevin Rudd

lol @ Iguanagate

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
Re: Australian Politics Chatter Thread

And the over-spending and underfunding continues...

But Mr Woolcott, who was Mr Rudd's boss when he was a diplomat, has raised concerns that DFAT isn't getting enough funds to carry out its increasing workload.

The department has had $21 million cut from its budget in 2008-09 and is expected to face cuts of at least $35 million over the following three years.

At the same time, Rudd government has outlined a number of initiatives which will add to the strain on resources, including the Asia Pacific plan, Australia's bid for a temporary seat on the United Nations Security Council and a new nuclear disarmament commission.
http://news.smh.com.au/national/exdiplomat-top-warns-against-dfat-cuts-20080615-2qto.html

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC

JaredR said:
And the over-spending and underfunding continues...
Our comrade is a master of doublethink. Labor is over-spending and underfunding in the same sentence.

Foxodi

HSC

^ overspending in some areas and underfunding in others >.>

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC

Foxodi said:
^ overspending in some areas and underfunding in others >.>
What a vague criticism. That's been said by someone about every government, anywhere, ever.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

Nelson's numbers slump despite petrol woes

The Newspoll in today's Australian newspaper shows the Government has gained two points in the two-party preferred race, to sit on 59 per cent, while the Opposition has dropped two to 41.

Brendan Nelson has again slipped back in his rating as preferred prime minister - falling four points to 13 per cent.

Mr Rudd has gained two points to be on 68 per cent.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/06/17/2276628.htm

boris

Banned
HSC

Turnbull, like a snake in the grass ..............

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A

Although tainted by the 'record' of the previous government, I would much rather see Costello have a shot at Opposition leader first. Unlikely I know, but I can keep dreaming..

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

Iron said:
Normal sampling variation, nothing statistically significant here. Following graphs plot all this year's polls and show the variation quite clearly. Unfortunately the media read too much into individual poll movements. It's the trend that matters.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

A series of three articles that investigate how the government and Rudd's office is being run. A must read.

Captain Chaos and the workings of inner circle
Hostile approach to the media
Chaos reigns in Rudd's office

In other news, a massive turnaround in the latest Queensland state Galaxy poll. The last poll in Feb showed a result of 61/39 TPP. Today's poll has the TPP figure at 52/48, with the Coalition primary up 10%.

Poll shows Lawrence Springborg leading Coalition resurgence

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

Yeah just read them in the Australian. Great stuff. Two inexperienced 28y/o 'Josh Lynehams' apparently the key advisors and gatekeepers to the PM. Good comparison with Hawke/Keating/Howard - Rudd didnt obtain the leadership through close political alliances, so he doesnt have heavy political allies he can trust. Painted a nice picture of Hitleresque paranoia running the Prime Ministerial bunker.
Looks like the glassjaw stuff is pretty serious. A few pretty shocking stuff ups, but certainly nothing terminal. Ruddkip needs to make some cool friends is all (if he can)

Muz4PM

HSC

Rafy said:
In other news, a massive turnaround in the latest Queensland state Galaxy poll. The last poll in Feb showed a result of 61/39 TPP. Today's poll has the TPP figure at 52/48, with the Coalition primary up 10%.

Poll shows Lawrence Springborg leading Coalition resurgence
That's very encouraging in regards to the possible merger. After all of the problems and scandals that Bligh has had to deal with whilst being premier, I am not sure where she could pull a win from, unless Springborg or his colleagues make a mistake. I find that unlikely given the fact that Springborg has alreay been to two elections as leader.

Does anyone know when the next election is due in Queensland? Next year? There was talk of Bligh going early, but after such poll results, I think that option is probably off the table at the moment.

sweet_as

Is with all of my people
HSC

For a National, Lawrence Springborg is alright. He would make a decent Premier, although I am opposed to a Liberal National Merger. I'd rather crush the Nats

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC

government is trying to seize the agenda by attacking the coalition on climate change. (http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/06/24/2284593.htm)

incidentally, brendan is now saying that he wants belinda neal 'suspended' from the government: does anyone know what a suspension of a backbencher would actually entail? she's already stepped down from her committee until the police investigation finishes, so what exactly does brendan want?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)