Uni Grad
Re: Australian Politics Chatter Thread

Oakeshott has won Lyne.

Liberals in trouble in Mayo.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

Rudd was too slow in proposing a Labor-bias major federalist restructuring.
Chainging the the US system would fix it. Time state/terr elections with Cth, .: tie the state parties to the national platform. More consistency and better gvt ensues
Now we';; have a messy successionist WA again, what whith a lib premier with his cockney tones and off-the-boat pom warty stocky vibes.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC

Iron said:
Rudd was too slow in proposing a Labor-bias major federalist restructuring.
Chainging the the US system would fix it. Time state/terr elections with Cth, .: tie the state parties to the national platform. More consistency and better gvt ensues
Now we';; have a messy successionist WA again, what whith a lib premier with his cockney tones and off-the-boat pom warty stocky vibes.

It was Labor's fault for calling an early election, Labor bites the dust.

1 wall-to-wall finally broken down. :p

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

WA was never a Labor state (Kimbo)

This helps federal Labor

The weak new gvt will be held to Nat randsom

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

Parliament is hung.

It's close. This could still go either way.

They don't count votes on Sunday in WA, the result will probally not be known for days.

I'll defer to Will Bowe at pollbludger for an update of the situation:

2.25am. Revised final call for the evening. The ABC gives the Liberals eight definite gains from Labor: Bunbury, Darling Range, Jandakot, Kingsley, Mount Lawley, Ocean Reef, Southern River and Swan Hills. However, I think Wanneroo can probably be added to the list. They also have their nose in front in Riverton and are very likely to pull further ahead in late counting, and a good chance of reining in Labor’s 166-vote lead in Morley and 242-vote lead in Forrestfield. However, Labor is 117 votes ahead in the notional Liberal seat of Albany, and the Liberals have lost Kalgoorlie to an independent likely to back Labor. If Labor can win three out of Riverton, Morley, Forrestfield and Albany, there might yet be a minority Labor government. However, it needs to be remembered that outside of the Mining and Pastoral region, Labor did about 2 per cent worse on non-booth votes than booth votes in 2005, to their cost in late counting. Kwinana appears to have fallen to independent Carol Adams, so any Labor government would be hanging on for dear life with the support of two independents.

Last edited:

cookieeater

HSC

nationals won't form govt with labor , the people who voted for them obviously believed they were voting against labor. they are just trying to make a point that they are 'independent' and trying to squeeze some extra promises from the libs.

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC

Rafy said:
Oakeshott has won Lyne.

Liberals in trouble in Mayo.
Go Oakeshott! I wasn't expecting such a huge win.

(I say this as one of his 700-odd campaign volunteers on Saturday.)

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC

Rudd policies hurting economy - Costello

FORMER Federal Treasurer Peter Costello says the Rudd Government has made "big mistakes" that have damaged the Australian economy.

Mr Costello, who is attending an economics conference in the US state of Virginia, said problems in the US economy were affecting the economies of other countries, including Australia.

But he said the policies of the Rudd Labor Government, which won last November's election, were also to blame for Australia's economic plight, ABC Radio reported today.

"I think some big mistakes have been made in Australia,'' he said.

"I don't think it's a coincidence that the Government changed and after the accumulation of wealth like we'd never seen before - 10-11 per cent household wealth growth, year after year - suddenly it went backwards.''

He said Australia was in a better position than the United States to meet the challenges facing the global economy.

"We have much better regulated markets, we didn't have the sub-prime fallout in the way the US had, our financial institutions have not been under the same pressure.''

However, he said it was clear the Australian economy had slowed significantly.

"As a consequence of that slowdown, unemployment is rising, people's wealth is going backwards, and that is of extreme concern to average Australians.''

Mr Costello would not comment on his future in parliament, saying he is looking forward to returning to Australia this weekend for the launch of his memoirs next week.

"I think it will tell something of the story of Australia over the last decade - some of the things that we accomplished, some of the things that are still to be done,'' he said of the highly-anticipated book.

"It's important that we record the history.''

He is expected to end speculation on whether he will retire or stay on, and maybe assume the leadership of the Liberal party.

So far, he has only said he would not challenge struggling leader Brendan Nelson for the job.

According to the latest Newspoll, published in The Australian today, Prime Minister Kevin Rudd is the preferred Prime Minister at 62 per cent, while Dr Nelson has just 16 per cent support, up two points.

http://www.news.com.au/business/story/0,27753,24317249-462,00.html
Gotta love Costello. :)

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC

local nsw elections were held today.... who did you vote for?

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

bigboyjames said:

Mayor http://photos-h.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-snc1/v316/237/114/219002453/n219002453_31607159_9225.jpg

Poll: http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-snc1/v316/237/114/219002453/n219002453_31607160_9607.jpg

Councillors: http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-snc1/v316/237/114/219002453/n219002453_31607161_9895.jpg

In other news, a by-election soon in Cabramatta. Reba Meagher has quit politics.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC

bigboyjames said:

I'm sure majority would turn against Labor and voted for either Liberals or Independents. :)

Good luck Liberals, we're closer to power.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC

Rafy said:
What amazes me is that how in the hell would we allow someone to live about 1 hour (Coogee) from her own electorate (Cabramatta) I hope one day it becomes illegal. She probably hates being surrounded by Asians and was afraid that she'll end up like John Newman. (no pun) ;)

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC

fuck, labor won in liverpool....

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

Full distribution of preferences was just finished in the close WA seats.
Neither the Libs nor Labor can form government without the Nationals. (There was the possibility that the ALP could get over the line without them, this is no longer the case.)

Nationals will announce today who they are supporting.

spiny norman

HSC

chicky_pie said:
What amazes me is that how in the hell would we allow someone to live about 1 hour (Coogee) from her own electorate (Cabramatta) I hope one day it becomes illegal.
You realise Howard no longer lived in Bennelong by the time he was voted out of office?

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A

spiny norman said:
You realise Howard no longer lived in Bennelong by the time he was voted out of office?
By no choice of his own. Surely he wasn't obliged to follow the continual western redistribution of his seat?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)