Australian Politics (1 Viewer)

Lentern

HSC
This is true.

Has this tard actually contributed anything positive?
I think he might have helped Kim Beazley for about a whole two weeks before he agani fell to his own opportunism and sold Beazley down the river.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Did I ever tell you guys that my great, great uncle was conservative Premier of NSW, best friend of Parkes and a member of the Federal Convention that drafted the Australian Constitution?

So, bit of respect pls.
Political aristocracy, see

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Most polticians are either lawyers, union-bosses or businessmen. You won't often find one to take the defence portfolio who has defence experience, nor a doctor to take health, nor an environmental scientist to take the environment portfolio.
Without a good knowledge of the legal ramifications of the various bills you're voting on you'll be stabbing in the dark. Lawyers and Unionists deal with legislation, contracts etc all the time, they're used to it. A scientist can be a very, very smart fellow and someone we should listen to for advice but as far as having control on the final wordings of legal documents I'd much rather those who understand first hand... Lawyers, Unionists and Businessmen are the main ones that come to mind as well as those that are just very interested in politics.

Business people and Unionists are experienced managers, which is for the most part the duty of a cabinet minister. They'd have all sorts of economists advising them and actually coming up with policy.

Lentern

HSC
A smart yet amusing troll?
Aww, just for you.

The libs are really going about things the wrong way. The parry, parry, jab, parry style of Turnbull, Nelson and Hockey is weak and ineffective, it’s damage control when you’re already losing. What they really need in a leader is Bishop. No not Julie, the member for Mackellar. Did Kim Beazley’s “small targets” win him a government? Did Andrew Peacock’s moderate populism get him anywhere? Did Bill Hayden’s correctness do him any good? No! Changes of government need to be forced, you can’t just make like the government until they fall over themselves, the Australian electorate is far too sharp for that.

The only way to force a change of government is conviction, and Bronwyn has enough of it for a whole frontbench. If people want moderate, centre left, pro environment, unionised workplace, multiculturalism then they will vote Labor and no spin campaign will help that. If the libs are ever to take back government they need to offer a genuine alternative government, a party of staunch fiscal conservatism, that takes a hardline against illegal immigrants, that believes in family values, that won’t let our Australia culture be compromised by gooks, wogs and fags. You have to fight Rudd on the issues, the very reason he is such an invincible political force is because he has more ticker than Crean, Beazley, Latham, Nelson, Turnbull and Hockey rolled into one.

Rudd was ready to really change Australia and the people knew that, there was no mucking about. He marched into parliament and made it his own. He’d been in office a matter of days before he signed Kyoto, at parliaments first sitting he smashed the barrier to reconciliation with the apology, he passed judgement on President Bush in a way that Beazley and Crean had been terrified of. Even Latham distanced himself from his own views of the President once taking the leadership. Rudd brought up troop withdrawals with Bush, republics with the queen and talked the talk with the Chinese. He cut through the red tape like a hot knife through butter. When the financial crisis struck many would have been afraid of giving credence to the liberals scare campaign about budget deficits, not Kevin, he knew what had to be done, and he did it. What chance does a namby pamby opposition leader have against such political dynamite! The liberals need someone who will take the challenge to Rudd, knock him off his game, fight him on values, if the libs return to their Howard/Peacock/Downer kind of opposition leaders instead of Bishop then Keating will cruise to another election victory and probably take the one after that.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Seriously, it's not clever or insightful. It's just bullshit plucked from your ar- thin air.
You know shit and are a toxic bore, Lentern :eek:

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Is Lentern Iron's troll?

Lol, I don't think you are a troll Lentern. You are like a chameleon though.
Oh, NO YOU DIN'T!!!

You're a disgrace. You know nothing of my posting style or my knowledge of Australian politics.

:spzz:

/rant.

Last edited:

Lentern

HSC
As in he changes his position often?

I meant nothing in regards to you. Soz.
Perhaps the inability for sarcasm to be noticed in writing proves problematic, but I like to think my genuine positions are quite consistant. I think what may seem contradictory is I happilly praise political abilities but criticise governing abilities and vice versa. And well may you dismiss it Iron but the lesser known Bishop was once the prefered leader of the opposition, beating both Johns and Downer in newspolls. Whilst I hammed it up a bit, the sentiment was she had the balls to knock Keating off his game.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
citation neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-e-e-e-e-e-e-eded (not that I doubt that a 17yo with poor grammar and spelling is intimate with the finer details of Australian politics at the time of his birth)

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
Perhaps the inability for sarcasm to be noticed in writing proves problematic, but I like to think my genuine positions are quite consistant. I think what may seem contradictory is I happilly praise political abilities but criticise governing abilities and vice versa. And well may you dismiss it Iron but the lesser known Bishop was once the prefered leader of the opposition, beating both Johns and Downer in newspolls. Whilst I hammed it up a bit, the sentiment was she had the balls to knock Keating off his game.
And yet this is ironic because you didn't notice the sarcasm in my posts.

Lentern

HSC
citation neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-e-e-e-e-e-e-eded (not that I doubt that a 17yo with poor grammar and spelling is intimate with the finer details of Australian politics at the time of his birth)
I'm a prodigy, at the wee age of 14 I think whilst the pundits were talking about Latham being all that I was sitting there thinking "this bonehead is going to scare off all the middle voters." But you've asked me to stop talking about Latham, so another instance of my brilliance was the liberal leadership. Heading into the election I said if the coalition loses it'll probably go to Nelson, Turnbull being too left and Costello being a senior figure in the liberal party for too long. Oh and here you go, call my bluff will you.
http://www.newspoll.com.au/image_uploads/cgi-lib.12643.1.4011B.pdf

Edit, interestingly this one actually has her prefered to Keating.
http://www.newspoll.com.au/image_uploads/cgi-lib.14094.1.4012B.pdf

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I'm a prodigy, at the wee age of 14 I think whilst the pundits were talking about Latham being all that I was sitting there thinking "this bonehead is going to scare off all the middle voters." But you've asked me to stop talking about Latham, so another instance of my brilliance was the liberal leadership. Heading into the election I said if the coalition loses it'll probably go to Nelson, Turnbull being too left and Costello being a senior figure in the liberal party for too long. Oh and here you go, call my bluff will you.
http://www.newspoll.com.au/image_uploads/cgi-lib.12643.1.4011B.pdf

Edit, interestingly this one actually has her prefered to Keating.
http://www.newspoll.com.au/image_uploads/cgi-lib.14094.1.4012B.pdf
Lol it's not interesting. Only proves how unpopular Labor was at the time and also how dead Hewson was after the defeat. Though congrats on sourcing! Dont you feel better having someone else's air, other than your own, behind your posts?

Lentern

HSC
Lol it's not interesting. Only proves how unpopular Labor was at the time and also how dead Hewson was after the defeat. Though congrats on sourcing! Dont you feel better having someone else's air, other than your own, behind your posts?
I think it's very interesting, the sought prime minister of Australia in 1994 can no longer get a frontbench gig in a hapless opposition. Hence my theory about firebrands attracting initial popularity before crashing and burning. Bishop didn't just beat Hewson she also beat Howard, Reith, Costello, Woodridge and Downer in the polls that year. Do you believe she had buckley's against Keating?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Mate, 96, it was unwinnable, see? Forget Bishop, it was a vote against Keating Labor - all else is pretty insignificant.

I also assume that you know that youre talking about Bronwyn, not Julie, yeah?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)