Australian Politics (3 Viewers)

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A
His political egoism. He undermined Nelson from the outset, and his display after losing the leadership has shown deep flaws in his personality. This partly explains why the electorate was disinterested.

His campaign is not founded on any genuine belief in the necessity for action on climate change. It is all about self-interest and self-preservation. He risks losing his 'green' seat if he adheres to the party position.

Turnbull is highly intelligent, charismatic and driven. It's just a shame these qualities are overshadowed in the political sphere by his natural arrogance and narcissistic tendencies.

Lentern

HSC
Turnbull gearing up for another crack post abbott martyrdom?
It seems like it, he's not the kind of bloke to wait around for a good job offer or the pension but its a kind of weird way of going about it. After Downer became leader Hewson supposedly made it a habit to speak regularly to the press about how fabulous he was and how many problems the liberal party had under Downer and Costello. In the end he just pissed everyone off.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Malcolm Turnbull is running for NSW Premier in 2011. This will cause me to vote Liberal for the NSW state election.

Lentern

HSC
Just saw on mumble that Niki Sava has launched a memoir on her time as a Howard government employee. As some might remember and as Brent reminds us on mumble Sava was a refreshingly blunt interviewee in the otherwise nauseatingly contrived "Howard Years."Most of the interviewees seemed keen on using the gentle interview to enshrine the Howard legacy, promote Peter Costello's leadership ambitions, take a few swipes at the ALP or to fulfil some other self serving agenda.

Selling a book aside she seemed uninterested in climbing the greasy poll, not telling a narrative but criticising both Howard and Costello for clumsily managing the succession dilemma. In short she didn't seem to be trying to secure future jobs in the liberal party and as such I reckon this might be one of the most candid and insightful memoirs since the Latham diaries with the added bonus of lacking bitterness and a personal legacy to protect.

Some of the books claims include:
-Howard had a 18 billion Healthcare policy up his sleeve in 07 which he dropped once Rudd attacked the government for reckless spending.
-Costello tried to keep Howard out of the budget process as much as possible, Howard only found out about the 2007 tax cuts hours before the press did.
-It was her idea to put one nation last on Costello's preferences knowing that Howard would be furious about it.
-Costello's smirk was because he had terrible teeth.

Infamous Costello smirk `a cover for insecurity over bad teeth' | The Australian

How Howard was spooked by Rudd in 2007

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Just your luck, eh, Rafy? :p

Don't worry, knowing Abbott, he'll probably insult someone else fairly soon with his 'people skills'.

badquinton304

HSC
Just your luck, eh, Rafy? :p

Don't worry, knowing Abbott, he'll probably insult someone else fairly soon with his 'people skills'.
Yeah. I was thinking it was gunna give the libs a short term boost, but after that its just a matter of waiting for tony abbott to open his mouth.

Lentern

HSC
The liberal party shouldn't be popping any champagne corks, much the opposite. No poll in isolation is worth the paper its printed on but if you did read much into this one you'd note that the primary vote of the ALP and Greens remains unchanged, three percent of "other" voters now support the liberal party.

Lower "other" voters and unchanged government figures would generally mean the playing field is being polarized: "all or nothing" "with us or against us" "left versus right".

That isn't always a bad thing but it normally is, for it to be a good thing you'd hope Abbott's approval rating was quite good and his preferred pm rating was making good inroads from that left behind by his predecessor. Abbots improvement of 1% on approval ratings is pretty useless and on preferred pm "undecided" has dropped by 2 and he and Rudd pick up one each, no inroad whatsoever but a more polarized playing field.

I think polarized playing fields tend to favour incumbents (2004, 1993, 1977) so heading into the actual campaign I expect most of the undecided and others to flow through to the government.

On a different note Abbott's parliamentary strategy is downright idiotic. Rudd might be boring but at least he comes across as organised, intellectual and belonging. Abbott seems jumpy, disingenuous and immature compared to the last three liberal leaders and the prime minister.

atreus

HSC
On a different note Abbott's parliamentary strategy is downright idiotic. Rudd might be boring but at least he comes across as organised, intellectual and belonging. Abbott seems jumpy, disingenuous and immature compared to the last three liberal leaders and the prime minister.
I agree - watching him today he was a bit like an impatient little kid.

The coalition looked like a pack of salivating dogs when the government "agreed" to an immediate debate on climate change. And then when the government said that was not what they'd agreed to, the opposition started sooking like 10 year olds. They all came off looking a bit desperate, which makes it all worse because it was only the first day. Even when Abbott got to move his motion he was jumpy and overexcited.

BlackDragon

HSC
I wish the filter proposal was making the news more. It won't be an election issue unless it gets some coverage.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I pray there's a televised debate between barnaby joyce and lindsay tanner in the lead up to the federal election.

BlackDragon

HSC
I was watching Q&A where it was 200 students talking to Kevin Rudd in old parliament house but not a single one mentioned censorship.. How disappointing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)