Australian Science Olympiads (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
Re: Olympiads

theodore223 said:
my school didnt even tell us of the maths one. im so annoyed. maths is pretty much the reason i go to school
Unless you live in a cave, everyone gets pretty much the same opportunities. (Ie. DO AMC.)

flowergrl

HSC

SoulSearcher said:
I see then.
I thought you did an accelerated course in maths.

anyway. I attempted physics and chem. did maths last year and failed. i'm not too bothered- it's not going to affect your HSC and besides, I like my social life.:)

DayOT

HSC

Somebody requested a Yr 11 (oops, Yr 12 now) Rusian?

Of those I know:

Phys: 1 (Yr 11)
Chem: 4 (2 Yr 11, 1 Yr 10 and Yufeng, who's the next Harry Yan =D)
Bio: 3 (2 Yr 11, 1 Yr 10)

I thought the school course would be easier after Olympiad, but it also makes enduring Bio lessons a lot more annoying/boring, knowing what one knows after the camp.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC

vulgarfraction said:
=( You worked hard for that..

I gave up when i bumped into a past bio olympiader Vincent Mok and a few chicks from sydney girls who were doing the olympiad, they knew atleast 3x as much stuff so i kinda give up a few weeks before the olympiad.

HSC
N/A

Wooz said:
I gave up when i bumped into a past bio olympiader Vincent Mok and a few chicks from sydney girls who were doing the olympiad, they knew atleast 3x as much stuff so i kinda give up a few weeks before the olympiad.
Meh, that's not really a good reason, considering that you're in Year 11. How much stuff did you know? Did you know the whole syllabus in some level of detail?

Also, did you get a HD?

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC

vulgarfraction said:
Meh, that's not really a good reason, considering that you're in Year 11. How much stuff did you know? Did you know the whole syllabus in some level of detail?

Also, did you get a HD?
To be honest i kinda burnt out for a while during that period because of the competition, major investigations/projects, yearlys and family illness.

I didn't know the syllabus content that well and couldnt be bothered since it was quite broad. I didn't get a HD, i got worse than i expected but oh well. Anyway bio isnt my best subject and i already missed a whole term of it before starting it.

Last edited:

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC

Wooz said:
To be honest i kinda burnt out for a while during that period because of the competition, major investigations/projects, yearlys and family illness.

I didn't know the syllabus content that well and couldnt be bothered since it was quite broad. I didn't get a HD, i got worse than i expected but oh well. Anyway bio isnt my best subject and i already missed a whole term of it before starting it.
Don't worry Wooz, one contest doesn't mean everything :) As you said bio is still your best subject :D

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC

airie said:
Don't worry Wooz, one contest doesn't mean everything :) As you said bio is still your best subject :D
Bio isn't my best subject, modern history is. I wish i had the oppurtunity to do bio olympiad in yr 10 then i would have prob taken it more seriously.

HSC
N/A

Doing them earlier does helps a lot.

But, yeah, if you weren't set on making the camp anyway, don't worry about it..

shepwarp

HSC

Yeah... oh well for the camp thing... I didn't get in but I'm not that fussed... :) just sitting around waiting for results to come through about TCEs!

haque

HSC

those of u who made the camps congrats, u guys did really well, lol i only did phys, got an HD but it wasn't enough to get into the school lol. Well done

haque

HSC

vulgarfraction said:
You'd probably want to find a copy of the Halliday text to look through... or at least any first year text. Obviously it's good to go through stuff to some level of detail first or you'd be extremely overwhelmed.

Hey, I know most maths olympiad people don't frequent this forum (apart from a few) but if anyone gets an invitation to School of Excellence... post here. They're meant to be out around now.
Yeah Resnick and Halliday are the standard olympiad book for physics, u'll want Zumdahl for chemistry(i took preparation for chemistry until i broke a knuckle and couldn't do it-ying chan from our grade got in-he got a silver medal at the international)., as for bio i have no clue. For this year 2 guys from tech got picket for chem(one of them is 13 years old-he did his ext2 maths hsc accelerated last year) and a bio offer-no phys though. A new 6 book edition by walker, resnick and halliday are also available now.

Last edited:

PrettyVacant

HSC
Science Olympiads

Hey Guys,

Just wondering if anyone is considering doing the entrance exam & if you're also doing training for it.

Well I'll need training. =D But I was also wondering how much commitment one would need to undertake "training" in 1, 2 or 3 sciences as "preparation" for the science olympiad exam? Would it severely affect schoolwork and study?

Anyone have any experience?

=) Thanks.

purple.hippo

HSC
Re: Science Olympiads

well at my school we have training programs
most people just go to help themselves in the sciences they do at school

the people who try do actually study hard for the nqe
just depends how much you want to get in.
if you don't really want to, then it really doesn't take much time - maybe 1.5 hours a week/science for the classes

van.tango

HSC
Re: Science Olympiads

Where could one find information about doing the entrance exam for this thing? I saw that show on the ABC last year with the Science Olympiad kids and thought it was amazing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)