Yeah.
=)
Well...
I have't -tried- them yet.

So my opinion's not valid.

PrettyVacant

HSC
Re: Science Olympiads

=( I got really put off by my friend who did the Chem and was all like, "YEAH I'M GETTING THEM ALL RIGHT".

=| And I don't even understand them.

z600

Sigh.....
HSC

Physics is the hardest out of them all, the last page of questions are just a huge WTF. All the science teacher agree that phy>chem>bio

I highly i doubt i will qualify (0.0000000000000000000000000000001%), i just did it because I have a physics teacher that talks about criket all lesson.

DayOT

HSC

They've been making Bio NQEs progressively easier, and now they're just moderately hard rather than OMGWTFBBQ hard.

Difficulty: Chem > Phys > Bio

Heliotrope

HSC

I really want to do this, but looking at those past papers, damn. I'm probably too stupid.

Have you been nominated by your school to take the exam, PrettyVacant?

HSC
N/A

Heliotrope said:
Have you been nominated by your school to take the exam, PrettyVacant?
You do a test to be nominated. If you want to take this test, you should see your science teacher(s)/Head, if you're wondering.
Also, some schools choose their students by academic ranking, as is the case with my school.:)

And no, don't say you're stupid; after all, this material is Uni stuff.:) There, there. I bet you'll do well in science(s).
z600 said:
I highly i doubt i will qualify (0.0000000000000000000000000000001%), i just did it because I have a physics teacher that talks about criket all lesson.
I feel for you. Maybe you should seek a class-transfer. Good luck.
LottoX said:
Chem is too much reading and fucking tricky shit, Physics is Mathsy, which is much loved, Bio is stuff I can actually do.
IMO, they're all reasonably difficult and easy. I personally find that Bio is too much writing, so I can't be bothered with it; at worst, some of the time, it's mind-boggling; at best, painlessly ok. Chem and Phys is, well, to be frank, undemanding.
Sure, Phys and Chem have their own writing sections, but Bio's is comparatively larger, as I have deduced from all the exam papers I've seen (regardless of school).

Also, with writing, I tend to get so picky that I get stuck on questions/essays, finding the best word. I hate goddamned English now; I now <3 Maths. Odd.

Last edited:

PrettyVacant

HSC

=D Training session = NERDFEST =)

My favourite.

I had a silent gasm under the table.

HSC
N/A

LottoX said:
I can imagine what you'd be like at the olympiad camp if you get in... =P
Oh my, why yes.
PrettyVacant said:
=D Training session = NERDFEST =)

My favourite.
What's that? So you passed your school's selection process, right?
Well then, congrats...

cccclaire

HSC

oooh. first post =]

I'm doing the biology one, I reckon I'd have to agree that Phys and Chem are harder, but I enjoy Bio the most =]

I'm doing a training program at Sydney Uni I think.
It doesn't add points onto your UAI, but most universities would rank a good mark in it pretty highly. So if you're looking at scholarships for Uni or getting into something like Medicine (where its not entirely UAI based) doing an olympiad's a really good idea.

HSC
N/A

ccclaire said:
So if you're looking at scholarships for Uni or getting into something like Medicine (where its not entirely UAI based) doing an olympiad's a really good idea.
Few courses are entirely based on the UAI.
Also, 99.90/100.00 isn't that difficult.
oooh. first post =]
'Gratz.
I'm doing the biology one, I reckon I'd have to agree that Phys and Chem are harder, but I enjoy Bio the most =]
Were you actually selected by your school, or are you just saying that you're doing this training that isn't authorized by your school?

I am doing all threeeeee... also, there's a Math one and a couple other Olympiads.
It doesn't add points onto your UAI, but most universities would rank a good mark in it pretty highly.
Heck no to points, but it's wishful thinking.
I believe the only circumstances they 'award', if you will, points to your UAI is if you have a particular debilitating condition. Even then, more often than not, it's just more time.

cccclaire

HSC

Lucid Scintilla said:
Few courses are entirely based on the UAI.
Were you actually selected by your school, or are you just saying that you're doing this training that isn't authorized by your school?
My biology teacher is the one who asked me to do it, so i assume the school approves? My biology teacher's also going to give me and one other girl lessons each week.

Good luck doing all three, I know a girl who sat her HSC last year who did all three, she got a credit in chem and phys and a distinction in bio. She got a scholarship to sydney Uni I think for some sort of engineering.

HSC
N/A

My biology teacher is the one who asked me to do it, so i assume the school approves? My biology teacher's also going to give me and one other girl lessons each week.
Okay. Good luck with that.
Good luck doing all three, I know a girl who sat her HSC last year who did all three, she got a credit in chem and phys and a distinction in bio. She got a scholarship to sydney Uni I think for some sort of engineering.
Thank you.

Scholarship to USyd for some Engineering... sounds good, though not something for one like myself.
I still have to read up on the SAT's...

HSC
N/A

cccclaire said:

You can't actually do the science olympiads during your HSC year. :rolleyes:

And heaps of people have done two or three, brilliantly.

DayOT

HSC

cccclaire said:
It doesn't add points onto your UAI, but most universities would rank a good mark in it pretty highly. So if you're looking at scholarships for Uni or getting into something like Medicine (where its not entirely UAI based) doing an olympiad's a really good idea.
I don't know about the other sciences, but if you make internationals in Bio, USyd allows you to skip first-year Bio subjects, which is pretty cool =] And yeah, scholarships big time..

DayOT

HSC

That's their choice, I guess. The Phys people I know went and did Med at UNSW/UniMelb; a majority of the Bio people I know did Science or combined variant thereof at USyd.

cccclaire

HSC

vulgarfraction said:
You can't actually do the science olympiads during your HSC year. :rolleyes:

And heaps of people have done two or three, brilliantly.
I didn't say she did it in her HSC year.

HSC
N/A

vulgarfraction said:
You can't actually do the science olympiads during your HSC year.
Yes you can.
cccclaire said:
I didn't say she did it in her HSC year.
HSC year being the year in which you graduate, then no... but you can get most of your subjects done.
You do the stuff in Yr11, then in Yr12, if you make the cut and the team, then you travel and compete.

DayOT

HSC

In any case, it's not hard to do well in NQEs. Just answer more than half the questions and you'll get at least Distinction.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A

Lucid Scintilla said:
Yes you can.
HSC year being the year in which you graduate, then no... but you can get most of your subjects done.
Yeah, and qualify for team selection to compete in the following year when you're most likely formally enrolled in a tertiary educational institution. They just don't allow it in Australia.

HSC
N/A

Precisely what I was to say. GJ on finding the holes in my oh-so painstakingly constructed fallacy, in which I have, perhaps deliberately, omitted information.
Anyway, thanks for pointing that out, for whatever that's worth.
DayOT said:
In any case, it's not hard to do well in NQEs. Just answer more than half the questions and you'll get at least Distinction.
Oh my, yes, yes, why of course.

I don't think it's justifiable that SydU can allow one who rep's Australia to just do their sophomore year, i.e. skip.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)