Australian tour of India 2004 (1 Viewer)

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
Can't believe there's no thread for this. Gotta be the most hyped series of all time.

First test starts next week, I'm so pumped for it.

The big news so far is that Punter is definitely out for the first 2 matches and Tendulkar still might not make the series.

Indian team have been struggling of late, so I reckon this is our big chance of taking 'em for the first time in ages.

RiCe_GrOwEr

Designated Hitter
HSC
N/A
Rumour has it that Gillies gonna be batting first drop...........

Should be an interesting series......

Go Aussie Go.....

nerd2die4

HSC
I am soooooo excited for this tour. with footy over, cricket becomes my new religion.

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
I reckon Katich might get a go at 3, or maybe even Boof.

Still think we might be a bit short in the spin department, even with the Indian top order out of form, playing three quicks and Warnie who has a poor record against India might not get us 20 wickets a match.

The lineups I see happening at the moment:

Australia

Hayden
Langer
Katich
Martyn
Lehmann
Clarke/Hodge
Gilchrist
Warne
Gillespie
Kasprowicz
McGrath

India
Sehwag
Chopra
Dravid
Laxman
Ganguly
Yuvraj
Patel
Pathan
Kumble
Harbhajan
Nehra

with maybe Agarkar getting in ahead of Nehra.

Still think we may struggle getting through that top order, especially if Warnie isn't back to his best.

Seraph

Now You've done it.......
HSC
N/A
why is this tour so hyped about...

just curious....

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
Seraph said:
why is this tour so hyped about...

just curious....

The last series over there was voted the best Test series of all time. And all 4 matches when India came here this years were gold as well. Two talented teams who seem to bring the best out of each other when they meet.

Pretty much got all the cricket lovers I know jizzin' themselves with excitement

Seraph

Now You've done it.......
HSC
N/A
o .................................

yea i guess thats true

whats India's world rank anyway? they didnt do too well in the ICC trophy

hah... but then again neither did australia aye....

A_J_Gray

This is hyped (other than the reasons listed) Because this is one team who I think everyone believes can really Beat Australia. Im not so confident about beating the Indians. People say there out of form well to be honest when I look at our team I am really not confident PARTICULARLY in our batting.

We have a few batsman in the side who are really unprooven (Katich and whoever replaces Ponting) and alot of guys who are not comfortable against spin.

3 of the 5 batsman named so far will really find it tough (Langer , Martyn , Katich) as there not the greatest players of spin. Even guys like Gilchrist really find it tough over there , as the conditions they play in can not be experienced anywhere throughout the world. Gilchrist last series got a ton then scored 3 ducks and 1 in his next four innings in the test series.

With Ponting out I think you have three options:

1) Bring in an allrounder (Watson) , bat him 7 , and reshuffle the top 6 in some what.
2) Bring in Clarke as a straight replacement for Ponting (Maybe not bat three though)
3) Push Gilchrist up and play 5 bowlers (Lee , Kaspo , Gillespie , Mcgrath , Warne)

My Idea would have to play Clarke. Our batting isnt strong enough to just have 6 batsman including Gilchrist. Though I wouldnt bat him at 3. My side would be:

1) Hayden - Obviously

2) Langer - Obviously

3) Katich - Someone has to do this as theres no other options accept a inexperienced Clarke (Probably)

4) Martyn - cemented this spot

5) Lehmann -I think you need Lehmann down at 5 as he is a fantastic player (probably our best) of spin and not as strong against the quicks and could hold that bottom order down a bit more.

6) Clarke - noone else really

7) Gilchrist - I like him at 7. He batted 3 once in Sri Lanka and it worked but I wouldnt expect it to come off. Also there could be times when he has to keep with the pads in high temperatures in 30+ degrees. He cant be expected to come off then and have to pad up straight away to bat. ( oh and theres a difference in a 50 over one day match and fielding for 5 sessions in high temps )

8) Warne - obvious

9) Gillespie - obvious

10) Kasprowitz - cant drop him on form

11) McGrath - obvious

12) Lee - great cricketer but cant find a spot.

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
gilly_aj said:
This is hyped (other than the reasons listed) Because this is one team who I think everyone believes can really Beat Australia. Im not so confident about beating the Indians. People say there out of form well to be honest when I look at our team I am really not confident PARTICULARLY in our batting.

We have a few batsman in the side who are really unprooven (Katich and whoever replaces Ponting) and alot of guys who are not comfortable against spin.

3 of the 5 batsman named so far will really find it tough (Langer , Martyn , Katich) as there not the greatest players of spin. Even guys like Gilchrist really find it tough over there , as the conditions they play in can not be experienced anywhere throughout the world. Gilchrist last series got a ton then scored 3 ducks and 1 in his next four innings in the test series.

With Ponting out I think you have three options:

1) Bring in an allrounder (Watson) , bat him 7 , and reshuffle the top 6 in some what.
2) Bring in Clarke as a straight replacement for Ponting (Maybe not bat three though)
3) Push Gilchrist up and play 5 bowlers (Lee , Kaspo , Gillespie , Mcgrath , Warne)

My Idea would have to play Clarke. Our batting isnt strong enough to just have 6 batsman including Gilchrist. Though I wouldnt bat him at 3. My side would be:

1) Hayden - Obviously

2) Langer - Obviously

3) Katich - Someone has to do this as theres no other options accept a inexperienced Clarke (Probably)

4) Martyn - cemented this spot

5) Lehmann -I think you need Lehmann down at 5 as he is a fantastic player (probably our best) of spin and not as strong against the quicks and could hold that bottom order down a bit more.

6) Clarke - noone else really

7) Gilchrist - I like him at 7. He batted 3 once in Sri Lanka and it worked but I wouldnt expect it to come off. Also there could be times when he has to keep with the pads in high temperatures in 30+ degrees. He cant be expected to come off then and have to pad up straight away to bat. ( oh and theres a difference in a 50 over one day match and fielding for 5 sessions in high temps )

8) Warne - obvious

9) Gillespie - obvious

10) Kasprowitz - cant drop him on form

11) McGrath - obvious

12) Lee - great cricketer but cant find a spot.

To be honest, I reckon taking wickets might be a bit of a problem.

Haydos will pull out the broom again and sweep just about everything in sight, Boof is a top player of spin bowling as well.

Marto has improved tremendously against spin this year as well. Played one of the toughest knocks i've ever seen against Murali and Chandana this year which got us home in that match, but Harbhajan has troubled him before so it's a top challenge for him.

Katich was brilliant against Kumble at the SCG this year, he's got great footwork and tremendous eye so he should be alright in India.

Langer doesnt seem to have the range of shots required to face a spin duo in India and Agarkar does seem to get him out a lot these days.

Despite this I'm pretty confident Hayden, Martyn,Gilly, Lehmann and Katich will get us plenty of runs..

I'm just concerned about our spin backups. If Warnie has a shocker we'll be relying on seamers to do the work on unforgiving tracks which hasn't worked for touring teams in the past and with the tremendously talented batting lineup they have I don't know if we can take wickets with our current bowling lineup as it is.

lusciousghia

HSC
Yep, 1969-70 was the last time Australia beat us at home...

I thought we were gone last time midway through the 2nd test, but Laxman and Dravid were amazing. We better win again, or we're gonna have to cop it from everyone :(

GO INDIA!!!

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
2 days to go. John Buchanan says the wicket is a bit of a dustbowl, so India might go in with Kumble, Harbhajan and Kartik.

Fark, i'm excited now ;)

H

Horndog_AJ

a good first day in the end but have to be carefull not too collapse on day 2

at 4\149 we were in a fair bit of trouble , but well down to clarkey and katich and to a lesser extent gilchrist.

hayden and lehmann - i love them but man they should hang there heads in shame

ahmad

HSC
N/A
What a match so far

How good is australia going......... man even their debuton's are match winners

Then again shouldn't underestimate any team even india anythin can happen in sports

Foxtel digital makes it even better

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
1. clarke owns marto and is infinitely better than him.

2. im betting lehmann will be dropped for punter (when he returns)

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
how good is macgrath...34 and he was at 7 overs, 6 maidens, 1 run, 2 wkts at 1 stage... finished with a respectable 2-9 off 12 overs with 8 maidens... he was certainly the difference last time around

martyn has always been a background player.. he averaged over 50 a couple of years ago, while clark remains rather fresh and untested... in a few years clarkes would be way better tho

HSC
The Sehwag decision was ridiculous. If he had stayed in who knows what could have happened anything was possible. But it's India's fault, absolutely collapsed like they tend to do way too often. When Australia is batting noone looks like getting out, but when India is in you're just waiting for the next wicket. Need Tendulkar badly, apparently he probably won't play a test at all???

I don't actually like Mcgrath but he's bowling pretty damn good. I reckon Martyn has to go. I've never been a fan of his either, and Lehmann always seems to get wickets with his shithouse bowling. Clarke and Katich definitely have to stay in the side.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)