Australia's 2010 World Cup Qualifying Campaign (2 Viewers)

shannonm

HSC
N/A
^ Agree with the above. We need to take the hint that 2018 has almost already been decided (likely europe -> england)

It's a bit of a shame because it seems the whole world would like the see the world cup played down here

btw for the 2000 olympics football we had a total attendance of something like 1.2million people - and noone gave a shit back then so for sure we can get the asses on seats

Peartie

HSC
Also the Fifa boss just told Australia it would be "unwise" for us to try and get 2018 - Whilst id love 2018 to be in AUS Im thinking 2022 more likely..... But by 2018 i might be at FIFA level for reffing and just young enough to be involved so who knows :) :p

Peartie

HSC
FFA Email said:
You may be aware that last week FFA hosted the FIFA Congress in Sydney, involving around 2,000 visitors to Australia including the top off-field football people from 201 of the 208 member nations of FIFA.

It was a highly successful occasion, with delegates and FIFA executives all commending FFA on the management and friendliness of the occasion.

This was a very important event for FFA, as it gave us the opportunity to get to know more people in the wide world of football and to show them a little of what Australia has to offer. We were also able to have many one-on-one meetings with members of the FIFA Executive, as well as other delegates, and we also announced the establishment of a collaborative arrangement with the Italian football association which includes their support for our bid to host the 2018 FIFA World Cup.

We were very delighted that the feedback we received was overwhelmingly positive, and we believe this is a strong base from which to build a bid. The 2018 FIFA World Cup was, of course, one of the issues that arose during the week, and we wish to let you know of the reasons why we intend making it.

We believe that hosting a World Cup would be a very powerful way to set up football in Australia and in the Asian region.

The Asian Football Confederation is the fastest growing region in world football, and Asia also has the fastest growing economy.

As we all know, from events such as the Sydney Olympic Games and others, Australia has the capacity and expertise to host a major sporting event in this timeframe.

A World Cup would have enormous economic and social benefits for Australia. While a bid comes with a cost, if successful it is an investment that would pay enormous dividends for Australia and for future generations – our children, our grandchildren and their children.

As a guide, a 2004 study on the economic impact of the 2003 Rugby World Cup found that the total 'value added' to the Australian economy was $289 million. By comparison, the same study showed that the total value added for the Sydney Olympic Games was $6.5 billion, and for the FIFA World Cup held in Japan and Korea in 2002 was $27.7 billion.

We are confident we have strong support from around the world.

FFA will be formally launching its bid for the 2018 FIFA World Cup towards the end of the year but, in the meantime, we would invite you to lend your support to the cause and become an advocate for 'Australia 2018' at home, at school, at work and at your football club.

We will write to you with more detail later in the year. In the meantime, if you require further information please contact the FFA Head of Corporate and Public Affairs, Ms Bonita Mersiades by e-mail to 2018info@footballaustralia.com.au

On another note, we hope you enjoy the performances of the Qantas Socceroos and the Matildas in their respective World Cup qualifying and Asian Women's Cup matches over the next few weeks.

Frank Lowy AC

Chairman

Ben Buckley

Chief Executive Officer

stazi

Nightman
HSC
nice :) hope there's some good ways to get involved soon.

blakegman

HSC
N/A
Seems like a waste of time imo. its not gonna be 3 southern hemisphere countries in a row. England deserve it more then us first anyway.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
does it really matter what hemisphere it is held in, though? i would think that fifa reason according to region, not hemisphere.

blakegman

HSC
N/A
stazi said:
does it really matter what hemisphere it is held in, though? i would think that fifa reason according to region, not hemisphere.
it sort of does in a sense. Aside from the obvious time zone differences and thus difficulty in seeing live games in the northern hemisphere, FIFA want to spread it all around the world. Until last year they had a rule that stated the WC could not be held in the same hemisphere twice in a row.

Basically 12 years is a long time to go of watching world cup games at 3am, and the countries in these hemispheres would feel cheaped.

Europe is the home of football, they like to host is there every 12-16 years.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
... i hope you're joking. you do realise that time zones aren't affected by hemispheres?

it is the same time in johanesberg as it is in geneva right now, and one hour after london time. Brazil is only 4 hours behind London.

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
we are 10 hours ahead of london, so lets say the game starts at 1930, then thats 9-30 am in the morning?

probably push games back to lunch time for europe, start games at 9pm. then it will be morning for south america and near-our time for asiaa

Last edited:

blakegman

HSC
N/A
stazi said:
... i hope you're joking. you do realise that time zones aren't affected by hemispheres?

it is the same time in johanesberg as it is in geneva right now, and one hour after london time. Brazil is only 4 hours behind London.
Yeah technically your right, wasn't really thinking literally. More that if its to be in the northern hemisphere it would likely be in America or Europe, which are in very difference time zones to say Asia or Australia.

Obviously time zones arent determined by latitude not longitude, but you see what i mean yeah ?

blakegman

HSC
N/A
A High Way Man said:
we are 10 hours ahead of london, so lets say the game starts at 1930, then thats 9-30 am in the morning?

probably push games back to lunch time for europe, start games at 9pm. then it will be morning for south america and near-our time for asiaa
Id say if it was in london they woud be 3pm games, so midnight here.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
what time is the iraq v australia game? is it today? is anyone showing it on tv/interwebz?

Peartie

HSC
Iraq game is at 8pm tonight - I think thatll be Iraqi time - im going off FFA's website.....

If its going to be on TV itll be on Pay TV.....

blakegman

HSC
N/A
would rather watch euro but i thin ktis a shit game. Plus i wont be awake at 2am anyway and if i am it wont be at home

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)