Australia's Obesity Epidemic (2 Viewers)

inasero

Reborn
HSC
Actually cancer is preventable to a certain extent- lung cancer, by taking adequte occupational precautions and not smoking, skin cancer by regular checks and protecting yourself, bowel cancer by eating less red meat and getting screened, breast and prostate cancer by getting screened, pretty much all cancers by stress management, screening, healthy diet and exercise.

Which is a further argument for incoporating those lifestyle changes in combating obesity.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Student Mum said:
Maybe an overweight person beat you in your exams and you want to get back at all of them.
:confused: lol wut

if you are fat, you have a health problem. if you are too lazy to do anything about it before you end up in hospital, that's a character fault, also. and one that shouldn't be the responsibility of the rest of the community to bear.

Student Mum

HSC
Your comment proves I must have hit a raw nerve. You have proven me right. If anyone agrees with the previous post then you're really shallow and thinking I must be overweight because I don't see it your way shows that the blinkers are on and you can't see it any other way. The only gay I know is happy, and I'm not into the kinky unnatural stuff.

K

katie_tully

To Katie Tully (who has posted about twenty times on this particular forum subject) and all those who obsessively write about weight problems in the community: I'm not overweight, and I don't have issues with people who are. I'm not that shallow. I really don't care how much a person weighs, I judge them on other things, like what they have to say and what kinds of people they are. Their weight is the thing I notice the least.
Man, you're missing the entire point of this thread. This isn't about aesthetics. If it were we'd be in Non School making fat jokes. This is about the very serious health issues associated with an increasingly large bust line. Google central obesity and tell me there are no serious health risks associated with it.
Thats fantastic that you consider yourself so benevolent and kind that you're willing to overlook a persons weight. Most people can and do. This is not about aesthetics.

The hospital system is not necessarily clogged up with people who are overweight, it would be simplistic to put it all down to weight. Most of you who write on these sites are more than likely to be at school or going to uni, are you all working full-time paying the level of taxes that worry you so much about paying for the health problems of overweight people?
I work in the hospital system. It is clogged up with people who are overweight and have preventable lifestyle diseases. It's not simplistic. What other diseases do more than half the population run risk of developing?
Also I'm at uni, and I work and I get taxed and I pay for my own health insurance. Blase argument though, who cares if they're non working students. This epidemic is going to affect them in the years to come, so theyre more than welcome to comment.

Your intense loathing of people larger than yourselves is a character fault that prevents you seeing people for their true selves. I can't see that any of you have any real concern for the community or the health of anyone who is overweight. You just want to vent your spleen at someone. Maybe an overweight person beat you in your exams and you want to get back at all of them.
Oh no. An overweight person beat me in my exams.
/end life

K

katie_tully

inasero said:
Actually cancer is preventable to a certain extent- lung cancer, by taking adequte occupational precautions and not smoking, skin cancer by regular checks and protecting yourself, bowel cancer by eating less red meat and getting screened, breast and prostate cancer by getting screened, pretty much all cancers by stress management, screening, healthy diet and exercise.

Which is a further argument for incoporating those lifestyle changes in combating obesity.
They're preventable to an extent yes, but I don't think the prevention of cancer and the prevention of weight related diseases are on par.

It's suprising how many overweight people also smoke, it's like they're trying to burn the candle from both ends.

'HOW QUICKLY CAN I KILL MYSELF?!??!?'

inasero

Reborn
HSC
Look guys please let's keep it civilised- zimmerman stop posting vitriolic ranting unless you have something productive to add. Same goes for you jb.

Student mum- nobody's loathing overweight people as such, we're just having an educated discussion about the obesity problem at hand, and I think it's great that we've got this topic out in the open. Sure it might touch some raw nerves but obesity is a very serious problem and if we're to tackle it we need to be upfront and honest about it.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Student Mum said:
Your comment proves I must have hit a raw nerve. You have proven me right. If anyone agrees with the previous post then you're really shallow and thinking I must be overweight because I don't see it your way shows that the blinkers are on and you can't see it any other way. The only gay I know is happy, and I'm not into the kinky unnatural stuff.
i don't think you're overweight.

i think you should think before you post and realize that obesity is a more serious community problem than it might appear on the surface.

Student Mum

HSC
If you work in the hospital system, why are you so fanatical about this subject? You seem obsessive to me, and not benevolent about the health system.

You're not going to let up and you will keep posting on this particular forum until your computer explodes from rage against overweight people. If you were in a position of power in the government, you would be one of those people who would implement a way to execute anyone who weighed more than yourself. You're out to prove a point and you will keep going...with the blinkers on. For what it's worth, I'm not going to bother anymore. You're not worth arguing with, Katie Tully. I've got better things to spend my time with.

Last edited:

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Student Mum said:
your gay

stop posting

no one cares

go care for your children before a paedophile seduces them

K

katie_tully

Student Mum said:
If you work in the hospital system, why are you so fanatical about this subject? You seem obsessive to me, and not benevolent about the health system.

You're not going to let up and you will keep posting on this particular forum until your computer explodes from rage against overweight people. If you were in a position of power in the government, you would be one of those people who would implement a way to execute anyone who weighed more than yourself. You're out to prove a point and you will keep going...with the blinkers on. For what it's worth, I'm not going to bother anymore. You're not worth arguing with, Katie Tully. I've got better things to spend my time with.
If I work in the hospital system why am I so fanatical? MAYBE BECAUSE I SEE FIRST HAND WHAT IS ASSOCIATED WITH OVERWEIGHT/OBESE TEENAGERS AND ADULTS. God, it's like you're so ignorant you refuse to believe that there is anything wrong with being obese, and that if anybody comments on the health aspects then they automatically hate fat people.

I'm not benevolent about the health system. Google benevolent while you're at it. I am completely aware that the health system is flawed, tremendously so.

I am not posting any rage towards overweight people. Did I once post in this thread and say 'god i hate fat people, what a bunch of useless no hopers'

That entire post was just ridiculous, you're completely clutching at straws. You havent once validated any reason as to why we should not discuss the health risks associated with obesity. Not once. Claiming I was beaten by an overweight person in exams doesn't phase me. I was, I was beaten by lots of people. Big deal?

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Student Mum said:
If you were in a position of power in the government, you would be one of those people who would implement a way to execute anyone who weighed more than yourself.
what the fuck. nobody actually does this. you are deluded. remember that, as has already been said, this is not about aesthetics. i couldn't give a flying fuck what you look like. but people who get fat who can prevent it get no sympathy from me, and i hope they do feel bad enough about themselves to eventually be motivated to do something about their own health.

by the way, what's with these obesity-revenge scenarios you keep posting. someone sounds paranoid...

inasero

Reborn
HSC
if you worked in the health system, you would realise just how much of our modern illnesses are due to the same things causing obesity, namely a poor diet, not enough exercise, stressful work place conditions, smoking, drinking etc.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
inasero said:
if you worked in the health system, you would realise just how much of our modern illnesses are due to the same things causing obesity, namely a poor diet, not enough exercise, stressful work place conditions, smoking, drinking etc.
Living longer???

Most people would be dead before 30 and never get these modern diseases.

HalcyonSky

HSC
noone but the parents can be blamed for childhood obesity. We need moar mums like katie

as for middle aged obesity, thats just pure gluttony and laziness, its disgusting that they blame everything but themselves

Last edited:

inasero

Reborn
HSC
in light of the interesting turn this thread's taken, and to answer the original post, maybe we should do more to educate the public and raise awareness regarding what defines obesity, the causes and effects. chuck in a few stats for good measure, numbers always seem to scare people :)

K

katie_tully

Oh, she has gone.

I feel slightly defeated, she took this entire thread the wrong way.
Do I need to redesign?

K

katie_tully

inasero said:
in light of the interesting turn this thread's taken, and to answer the original post, maybe we should do more to educate the public and raise awareness regarding what defines obesity, the causes and effects. chuck in a few stats for good measure, numbers always seem to scare people :)
Numbers and some pictures of atherosclerosis.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
what does your work with the health department involve?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)