Australia's qualification to the World Cup (Analysis) (1 Viewer)

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
The Australian leg is 16th November, I'm guessing the SA leg would be a week before hand or something

stazi

Nightman
HSC
bazookajoe said:
The Australian leg is 16th November, I'm guessing the SA leg would be a week before hand or something
I fucking hope it's in sydney. if it is I'm definately there

stazi

Nightman
HSC
bazookajoe said:
Yeah, it is. Tickets on sale October 19th
oh poop. i want to see how badly australia get fucked in uru-gay first. no point in wasting money for a decider only to see aus go down by 4 in the first game

bJ_Bhoy 87

HSC
shit, i go out one nite and come back to see a new thread. shouldnt this be in the official football thread?

anyway, i think id prefer to play uruguay over colombia. in the end it doesnt come down to the hostile crowd, the altitude, but how we keep our structure. colombia look much more likely to threaten our backline than uruguay. while uruguay are better at finishing, colombia will expose our defence like nothing we havent seen since... well, the confeds, i spose. so we cant afford to concede 4 goals like those games in the first leg.

even tho jamaica were disappointing, we can learn a lot from that game. before the game i would have said 3-5-2 would work better than 3-4-3, but last night proved that we can work well with 3 upfront. im disappointed that milicevic couldnt make an appearance, he has defended well for thun, getting regular games, and scoring me 6 points in the ucl fantasy league last week.

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
bazookajoe said:
From memory, the two games were played about four days apart last time.

So presumably a similar thing will happen this time ... chances are the away game is November 12 ?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
the urugay game is on sbs now. Colombia scored as well :(
Urugay have been dominating this game though.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
hmm this is interesting. anyway you never know, last time we made it to the world cup was in 74' in Germany as well!

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
If only Argentina had Heinze, they would have been much mo threatenin on the left wit Sorin given mo chancez to attack. Uruguayz goal also came from that side.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
I just hope our defense can handle the trickery and the counters :s

M'broughRockz

HSC
uruguay beat argentina 1-0, so it looks like australia are facing their nemesis Uruguay again. But dis time we have dutch coach Hiddink. The new 3-4-3 formation seems to be improving the socceroos performance. :)

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
What are you basing that on? a few matches against minnows in the solomons and a jamaica team who had nothing to play for? 3-4-3 aint gonna work against Uruguay.

tim price

HSC
there were glimpses that the socceroos could pull it off however i don't think this is our year. we'll probably win one leg, but this time we have the advantage of having the home leg second.

tim price

HSC
well they just beat argentina who were the first team from south america to qualify...

Numero Uno

HSC
as i predicted uruguay made it through

now to the aussie game .. well personally from the info coming from my house hold .. Aussies are gonna get smashed .. but .. i like to think otherwise i think we may have a chance ..
but boy australia needs a result at montevideo .. these aussie players dont know wut real atmosphere is .. if shit cunts like twaite , neil , emerton are playing ,
its over ,start getting some tissues .. but if the aussies show some passion once in a while we could see a real good game, and with hiddink in our team he'll know how to handle the situation.
just cant wait till wednesday novermber 17th !!

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
Numero Uno said:
just cant wait till wednesday novermber 17th !!
November 16th ;)

Argentina practically THREW the game away. I reckon it was a setup ... the facts are that it was 0-0 at halftime, and with news of a Columbian goal there followed a Uruguayan goal. The facts are that an Argentinian skied a shot over the bar from inside the six yard box.

And then the conspiracy is that if Argentina are struggling in Copa America or in WC Qualifying down the track, there is a higher probability that Uruguay will be in a better position that Columbia to 'return the favour' ...

But yeah ... in the end, that's the business of the South Americans and it is not our concern.

Recoba in the centre of midfield scares me even more than in 2001 ... we need Cahill marking him tight all game. We saw against Jamaica that Bresciano was too lazy in defence and quite often trailed far behind his direct opponent when the Jamaicans had the ball. Cahill will run all match and hopefully mark Recoba like a glove.

For the away leg, I get the impression that we are going to stack the defence and try to either play counter-attack or just hold up the ball across the defence and midfield when we get it. Wouldn't be overly surprised to see a 5-4-1 formation in Montevideo .. A draw should suffice. A goal draw (1-1, 2-2) would be even better, and even a 1-2 loss would be acceptable. If we lose by 2 goals or more, Uruguay will play an 8 man defence in Australia and shut us down.

November 12 awaits!

74DESTINY06

Glenn198718

would like to see Australia qualify for the world cup but i dont think they can. they will have to be playing at 110% or even more to win the game. should be good to see them go out there and give uruaguay a run for there money but and there place in the world cup

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I kind of like the fact that the first game is at Urugay. That's a giant fucking advantage for Australia.
4 years ago the Urugayans knew that they needed to achieve a certain result to qualify. This time Australia will know what is needed of them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)