• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Australia's qualification to the World Cup (Analysis) (1 Viewer)

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
Circular Quay .... Patriotism + Football.
HSC
My word, those 'conspiracy theorists' got it right. :( Brasil were indeed drawn as seeds 'F1'. And FIFA actually mentioned the 'economic' basis for it. Didn't know they could do that. Haven't worked out the tree-route to the Final, but I understand that means Brasil and Germany can only face-off in the final, or smthg along those lines.

Historically, (a) the two nations have always been on the opposite sides of the draw; (b) the defending champions are drawn on the opposite side to the hosts. Well that's what I've been reading.

I don't endorse conspiracy theories, but they can be amusing, and maybe even, by the off-chance, correct. :rolleyes:

nedzelic

HSC
politik said:
I just bought me the'Super Socceroos' DVD. :)
yep mine came in th mail on monday. get this though, i orderded in on thursday (not last week but the week before) this dead shit on-line company said oh 2-3 days delivery and so i waited more than long enough(they hadn't talken the money out of my account admitedly) , emailed them three times and finally they respponded saying that they were sorry and that it was taking them over a day to answer emails??!! pull your finger out lads! and, to boot, they told me, while the delivery took an average of 2-3 days, they DON'T ACTUALLY STOCK ANYTHING!! wtf???? so it took them 3 days rto go and buy it and three days to sell it to me
fucking tossers

bJ_Bhoy 87

HSC
I really want to draw USA, not coz I think theyll be easybeats, but coz I want our boys to fix up that Amercian deadshit coach:'

"The last time around the easy games were China and Saudi Arabia," Arena said on the Sports Illustrated website.

"This time around you'd probably say Australia and Trinidad & Tobago are the weak ones."

"Just on your Australia comment: I was, obviously, misinterpreted,"

Hmm, must have misinterpreted weak ones do be a bad thing. Faggot.

nedzelic

HSC
those only one cunt-try in the world i would love to beat more than the poms; the fukin yanks

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
Circular Quay .... Patriotism + Football.
HSC
bJ_Bhoy 87 said:
I really want to draw USA, not coz I think theyll be easybeats, but coz I want our boys to fix up that Amercian deadshit coach:'

"The last time around the easy games were China and Saudi Arabia," Arena said on the Sports Illustrated website.

"This time around you'd probably say Australia and Trinidad & Tobago are the weak ones."

"Just on your Australia comment: I was, obviously, misinterpreted,"

Hmm, must have misinterpreted weak ones do be a bad thing. Faggot.
I think what he was trying to say was, not very eloquently though, is that last time around the weaker sides were China and S/A; and this time the WC is stronger because the 'weaker' sides are T&T and the Aussies. He's correct in saying that the WC will be tougher this time around; his dead wrong in saying we're one of the 2 weakest teams in the Comp. Like I said, I wouldn't mind drawing them in our Group.

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
what's everyones dream group? (despite it not being possible)

bJ_Bhoy 87

HSC
Even tho its not possible? Samoa, Fiji, Tonga and Australia.

From the set pots and everything, Id like to draw England, Croatia or Poland and Trinidad and Tobago. Any group is going to be tough, so as long as we avoid Czech Republic, Netherlands and Portugal, Ill be happy. Id like to play Croatia just to fix up Simunic and Didaluca that should be in the Australian squad. Poland look like the best team to draw in the Europe pot tho, perhaps marginally better than Croatia. T&T look the easiest team to play in the last pot, and itll be good coz Dwight plays for them, so that would be good for a local feel. England look the best to draw in the top group, and our boys will want it so much more.

Whoever we draw, I feel we can get to the second round regardless.

nedzelic

HSC
i would love to beat some yugoslavs - serbs or croats will be fine - i would never hear the end of it if we lost though

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
There always seems to be one 'group of death' in the world cup, namely a group with 4 world class teams where any two could be considered genuine contestants to make it to the next round. What do you guys think? Personally, given those four pots, i dont see any clear group of death situations this world cup.

- L1n -

HSC
i don't care who wins the world cup, as long as it's not brazil again. Brazil in soccer = Australia in cricket. It's time for a new powerhouse. Personally i want the dutvh to win, they been one of the best teams of the last century yet no world cup. I mean they produced playes like Johan Cruffy, Gullit, Van Basten, the lists goes on. They r like the european version of brazil, yet no dough where it counts, time for the oranje to step it up. Ruud Van Nistelrooy for golden boot. lol

stazi

Nightman
HSC
- L1n - said:
i don't care who wins the world cup, as long as it's not brazil again. Brazil in soccer = Australia in cricket.
Thank you for clarifying it for the soccer illiterate

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Australia in cricket > Brazil in soccer. We're like even money or odds on to win cricket world cups. :cool:

RyddeckerSMP

Go The Knights!
HSC
acmilan said:
There always seems to be one 'group of death' in the world cup, namely a group with 4 world class teams where any two could be considered genuine contestants to make it to the next round. What do you guys think? Personally, given those four pots, i dont see any clear group of death situations this world cup.
The one with Brazil/Argentina/Mexico and the two European teams (Serbia/another) will be the group of death.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
RyddeckerSMP said:
The one with Brazil/Argentina/Mexico and the two European teams (Serbia/another) will be the group of death.
Not necessarily, I wouldnt consider: Mexico, Serbia, Togo and Poland to be a 'group of death'

nedzelic

HSC
fuck, how can you speculate as to what the group of death could be - just chill and wait and asee - we will be in it no matter what it is

mark my words. will will get the hardest group for SURE

it's good to see one coach is giving us some credit - errikson, who, how funny is this, says that he didn't know of the sporting rivalry between england and australia. well i'm sure he dioes now, what a fucking idiot. he said he got a rude shock when we played them and rightly said 'it was no friendly match'. that's or sure; we blitzed them and wanted to win badly

stazi

Nightman
HSC
nedzelic said:
fuck, how can you speculate as to what the group of death could be - just chill and wait and asee - we will be in it no matter what it is

mark my words. will will get the hardest group for SURE

it's good to see one coach is giving us some credit - errikson, who, how funny is this, says that he didn't know of the sporting rivalry between england and australia. well i'm sure he dioes now, what a fucking idiot. he said he got a rude shock when we played them and rightly said 'it was no friendly match'. that's or sure; we blitzed them and wanted to win badly
for SURE? ummm...yeah? because random allocation from the pots will cause us to have the hardest teams?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
And personally I'd like:
Australia
Spain
Croatia
Iran

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)