Australia's sliding educational performance (1 Viewer)

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
too much paperwork/administration shit
most graduate teachers are shit, especially from the lower tier unis with 50atar req - go to any education lecture and see for urself
No rewards for the good teachers, u get paid the same whether ur at selective school or some rank 600 shithole in west syd (doesnt include indep)
Following up, most good teachers quit quickly and ur left with shit
Most students are shit - regardless of the system
Parents are also shit
Good teachers also move overseas for better opportunities
too many cunts like Waheed Aly and other similar lefties who want to remove critical thinking from students

If you give teachers more powers like they do overseas you will see results
Even better avoid welfare for parents unless students reach a certain mark (good for abos as well)

finally, even KAZAKHSTAN IS BETTER LOL

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
-Too much paperwork + Admin
- Too much useless professional development
- Lack of respect for "Education"
- Teaching is considered something "anyone can do" or a something to do "later in life".
- Too much time wasting especially in junior years when if the teacher's were stricter a lot more could've been completed.

enoilgam

HSC
Overall, I think students and society are largely to blame for this issue. A lot of pundits and politicians refuse to admit the underlying cause of these issues simply because there are easier scapegoats. The left blames a lack of funding whilst the right blames teachers.

The harsh truth is students are largely unmotivated because Australian culture promotes an environment where academic success is not truly valued or properly rewarded. Australia has a very laid back, "She'll be right mate" type culture and ultimately, academic success isnt as valued as it would be in say China, Japan etc. I think that's why outcomes are better for 1st generation Australians (second link).

Having completed a degree and worked for several years in HR, I've seen first hand how little academic performance matters to success in Australian society. Almost anyone can go to university and get a degree these days as the threshold for entry into most courses is extremely low. Ultimately, what incentive is there to get a high ATAR and perform well in school when you can pretty much get into any course with a low grade or transfer in to your desired course after 6-12 months? I myself received a relatively high ATAR and realistically, I finished university with the same degree as some people who got in the 50s and 60s. In countries that do perform better from an educational standpoint, Im willing to bet that a poor score on their high school exams would probably condemn a person to a lifetime of sweeping toilets for a living.

Furthermore, academic performance counts even less for getting a job post-graduation. Beyond graduate programs (which make up only 20% of the graduate recruitment market), university grades are a complete non-factor in getting an entry level role. Even in the case of graduate programs, the standard is usually quite low (Credit average) and grades are usually a checkbox item. At the end of the day, businesses in Australia emphasize that university grades aren't really a key factor for them and it's more about soft-skills. Whether that's right or wrong is a separate issue, but the effect essentially minimizes the value of education.

At the end of the day, necessity is the mother of all innovation. With the attitude and values of Australian society, you cant blame students for being unmotivated. If you raised the academic standards needed for uni entry and the jobs market, I'm willing to bet that performance will increase markedly.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Teachers that get good pay at independent schools are often also shit and just got there because nepotism.

So basically
The entire teaching/learning system is broken
And Australia is too full of dumb fucks to fix it
It's a positive feedback system
Not that most aussies would know what that means.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Overall, I think students and society are largely to blame for this issue. A lot of pundits and politicians refuse to admit the underlying cause of these issues simply because there are easier scapegoats. The left blames a lack of funding whilst the right blames teachers.

The harsh truth is students are largely unmotivated because Australian culture promotes an environment where academic success is not truly valued or properly rewarded. Australia has a very laid back, "She'll be right mate" type culture and ultimately, academic success isnt as valued as it would be in say China, Japan etc. I think that's why outcomes are better for 1st generation Australians (second link).

Having completed a degree and worked for several years in HR, I've seen first hand how little academic performance matters to success in Australian society. Almost anyone can go to university and get a degree these days as the threshold for entry into most courses is extremely low. Ultimately, what incentive is there to get a high ATAR and perform well in school when you can pretty much get into any course with a low grade or transfer in to your desired course after 6-12 months? I myself received a relatively high ATAR and realistically, I finished university with the same degree as some people who got in the 50s and 60s. In countries that do perform better from an educational standpoint, Im willing to bet that a poor score on their high school exams would probably condemn a person to a lifetime of sweeping toilets for a living.

Furthermore, academic performance counts even less for getting a job post-graduation. Beyond graduate programs (which make up only 20% of the graduate recruitment market), university grades are a complete non-factor in getting an entry level role. Even in the case of graduate programs, the standard is usually quite low (Credit average) and grades are usually a checkbox item. At the end of the day, businesses in Australia emphasize that university grades aren't really a key factor for them and it's more about soft-skills. Whether that's right or wrong is a separate issue, but the effect essentially minimizes the value of education.

At the end of the day, necessity is the mother of all innovation. With the attitude and values of Australian society, you cant blame students for being unmotivated. If you raised the academic standards needed for uni entry and the jobs market, I'm willing to bet that performance will increase markedly.
Agree with you 100%.

Orwell

HSC
It's more of a 'There's life after the HSC/School' type of mindset with students.

But I do think the quality of teachers is a large problem. I know a lot of great teachers who've really helped me, the kind of teachers that can really help a student excel. But I also know a lot of teachers who just made the cut. Frankly, teaching isn't a revered, respectable position anymore. It's a, if you can't get into law do teaching, type of gig.

Also, what are people's thoughts of technology as a contributor?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)