B BUS any good? (1 Viewer)

slab

HSC
One of my friends goes to UWS and he says everybody jokes about those doing Bachelor of Business & Commerce. Apparently they are "all dumb lebos and fobz laWLz~"

Please prove me wrong.

HSC
N/A
not all of them.
there are also mature aged students.

but yeah, there are also intelligent recent school leavers.
like people who got 95+ atars, (who just do the single degree and not combined with law) that live out west, and cbb going to usyd/unsw

so to answer your question: true to an extent.

Bananaberry

HSC
I did B Business, and I'm not a "dumb lebo" or "fob". You may find that there are people of Lebenese descent or as you put it "fob", but you will find them there becuase they mostly reside in the Western part of Sydney.

slab

HSC
I did B Business, and I'm not a "dumb lebo" or "fob". You may find that there are people of Lebenese descent or as you put it "fob", but you will find them there becuase they mostly reside in the Western part of Sydney.
I personally didn't say people were FOBS, I only heard it from a secondary source.

Did you enjoy the course?

EDIT: Were you able to get a good job afterwards?

melodi

HSC
I'm doing a B Business and Commerce (Human Resource Management) at UWS. The course is really quite good. If you want to study and you care about what you're doing, then it doesn't matter if the majority of people around you are from a certain ethnicity.

I'm trying to transfer at the moment mainly because of the huge amount of stigma and negativity attached to the name of the uni. Once people hear it's in the western suburbs they assume it is shit. Business is a competitive field and you need to have an edge over others when competing for a job. If that means going to a so-called 'prestigious' uni then I'll do it. It's a shame though, because I live like 5 mins away from the Parramatta campus.

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
I'm not in the BBC, but I did do a HRM subject for my elective this semester. A lot of the BBC students in my tutorial were either mature age students or working full time and I found them quite insightful and mature. I took the class in the evening though, I think I'd have had a different experience in daytime.

tubtub

HSC
well there tends to be heaps more "lebs and fobs" in the day classes, from my own personal experience. nothing wrong with that though. i have also done a number of evening classes, and there were definately more mature aged students or ppl who work full time/study part time. as for the actual business course, its has the most enrollments at uws. i personally found the quality of the business degree average. classes can be huge in some subjects and the quality of the teaching depends tutor to tutor. most of the time, the subjects ive done are self learning-ie you have to read the textbook and do the tutes to pass.

Bananaberry

HSC
I personally didn't say people were FOBS, I only heard it from a secondary source.

Did you enjoy the course?

EDIT: Were you able to get a good job afterwards?
Yes, I got a job pretty quick in a marketing assistant position, now I'm a marketing manager and also a CR manager with Toyota

Bananaberry

HSC
I'm doing a B Business and Commerce (Human Resource Management) at UWS. The course is really quite good. If you want to study and you care about what you're doing, then it doesn't matter if the majority of people around you are from a certain ethnicity.

I'm trying to transfer at the moment mainly because of the huge amount of stigma and negativity attached to the name of the uni. Once people hear it's in the western suburbs they assume it is shit. Business is a competitive field and you need to have an edge over others when competing for a job. If that means going to a so-called 'prestigious' uni then I'll do it. It's a shame though, because I live like 5 mins away from the Parramatta campus.
Having an edge over other people with business degrees is more about getting actual work experience in your related field what uni you went too. Someone who has done internships, work experience etc has more of an edge over someone who has none of that, no matter what uni they went too.
Thats something that UWS offers - a good internship program. I havent heard of any other uni's that offer such a good program

slab

HSC
Yes, I got a job pretty quick in a marketing assistant position, now I'm a marketing manager and also a CR manager with Toyota
Nice work.

So many people graduate from universities yearly in Business.

How is it that you got the managing position?
Was it from your good uni results, your interpersonal skills, or you unnerving skill?

Just curious, because there are only so many manager positions (and there have to be more workers than managers lol)

slab

HSC
Also, bananaberry, what's the social life like there?
I know two people who go there, one who does Business + one who does science. They are socially-apt people and they tell me there's no social life at UWS =[

Does anybody know what buses go to the uni from parrammata station and if they are good?

Bananaberry

HSC
Im not sure how many people graduate from business degrees every year, but it would be quite a lot.

I got my job simply by applying for it on seek. When I had the interview they were very interested in my past experience and extra curriculars, rather than my uni experience. A uni degree was a requirement, but there was not much emphasis placed on it. I got a credit average in uni. I also did 3 internships, as well as have experience from my marketing assistant job. I also had 10 years experience in customer service within a retail environment, which was important for the CR aspect of the job. I had a portfolio of my work put together which I took to the interview, which consisted of design projects (marketing collateral), major uni projects in marketing etc.

I guess I got lucky being able to advance to a management position so early in my career.

The social life at UWS is ok. I lived on campus so is was much more social than for someone who didnt. We had our own social events that were not related to the uni. But when the uni did throw stuff on it was decent - bands and bar nights, sports comps, the harbour cruise, pub crawls and the end of year ball were a good.
I have no idea if these still go on, I finished uni at the end of 2006.
I wouldent say it was as socia as UNSW/ USYD/UTS, but they do have stuff, and I guess its all up to what you make of your uni experience.
I did make ALOT of good friends though.

honsaw

HSC
N/A
so i assume there are not many asians that go to UWS..

muhahahahahaha

HSC
I really enjoy the business degree at uws. The experience does change though depending on whether or not you have day classes or whether you study at night. I go to uni during the day and yes, I must admit you do get some hardcore fully sick "lebos" and "fobs" but I'm sure you'll find people like that in any degree, not just the business degree. In saying that though, there are also a lot of highly intellectual students that go there. I personally don't find the degree very challenging, but then again I've only finished first year and the subjects were quite introductory. Experience of the degree changes depending on (as mentioned above) the tutor or lecturer that you have. Some tutors are really interesting and they make everything seem so easy, and others make it difficult and they do not give you much insight ton how a certain concept relates to realnlife situations and this is where the issue is.....you will find yourself losing interestnin the subject, and relying heavily on the textbook for information. I've experienced both excellent teachers and lets just say "less capable" teachers. I got a distinction in all my commerce classes last year but I found myself heavily unmotivated and more stressed when I had a worse teacher. Most teachers are okay though :)

allyoop

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm asian, I've got 2 subjects to go this sem till I finish my degree in BBC. I plan on doing either Honours and/or Masters when I finish, and taking up a tutoring position as a PostGrad next sem.

TBH I used to hate UWS only because of the reputation, now I couldn't be prouder. I'm not sure what changed. The quality of teaching, maybe. I've had some really excellent lecturers (granted there are some real bitches out there), and they've really helped me pick my grades up. Now it's my motivation has changed from 'I just want a pass' to 'The minimum I can get is a D'.

In terms of social life, yes it's all true and ugly. But we're working on that (I'm on the Student Campus Council, effective Jan 2012). So expect change. Big things will happen!

honsaw

HSC
N/A
So does it mean that uws exams and assignements are "easier" compared to other unis?/

RookieLaw

Audit.
HSC
All UNI teaching and examining structures are different, assuming you actually study and pay attention then you should be able to accomplish your goals easily anywhere.

mirin

HSC
Mate, there aren't barely any Islanders here, although there are more arabs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)