N/A
mz_bubbletea said:
lol! i looked it up on ebay..
:p a good one is about $1300.. though u can get an alright-ish one for ~300

and gosh.. u guys know more about chiro than me.. :chainsaw:
you and your ebay ... :|

X

xeuyrawp

I honestly couldn't stand a profession where you're constantly touching both extremes of people (hot, and old).

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
haha we hav beds lik them for examining .. altho i almost broke the old manual hospital beds with lik 100 levers on it trying to make it work with an intern :S ... but it came with my hospital lolz..

i dunno.. touchin ppl is an awesome skill..
heres sumfing tat make grad med courses suck.. when ure 18-19 u can still appriciate how its kinda funny when u watch a digital rectal exam and the patient wretch a lil.. after the whole "look how tough i am" routine

we are taught :) but im yet to find someone brave (read: stupid) enough to let me do it.. interestingly.. if u dun lik them.. u can control how cold ure hands are ;)

X

xeuyrawp

+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
haha we hav beds lik them for examining .. altho i almost broke the old manual hospital beds with lik 100 levers on it trying to make it work with an intern :S ... but it came with my hospital lolz..

i dunno.. touchin ppl is an awesome skill..
heres sumfing tat make grad med courses suck.. when ure 18-19 u can still appriciate how its kinda funny when u watch a digital rectal exam and the patient wretch a lil.. after the whole "look how tough i am" routine

we are taught :) but im yet to find someone brave (read: stupid) enough to let me do it.. interestingly.. if u dun lik them.. u can control how cold ure hands are ;)
I've always wondered this, and there's no better place to ask. A rectal exam: it's to detect prostate cancer, yes? Traditionally, it would be done by a GP with gloves and lube, I assume they do it with a camera or something now? In the old days, how would feeling a guy's prostate allow you to detect cancer? Is it enlarged or something? What abotu with a camera?

bubble_tea

lol wow.. this is goin on..

i wouldn't mind touching people.. its just their backs..

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
ok.. i cant believe u are making me talk about this..
simply.. we use it as a screening test
a) its cheap
b) detects alot of things... rectal cancers, pelvic inflammatory diseases in women, prostate in men
c) u feel and u kno wat a prostate will feel lik.. after a couple of normal ones..
in tumours (both the nasty one (cancer) and the not so nasty one (benign)) it swells up because of the rapidly incring cells in the prostate..
d) we send for a blood test and then a biospy ( via rectal and using a ultrasound) to confirm diagnosis
e) with a camera .. this is for removal of the prostate if the cancer if it is advanced.. its done laproscopically.. (think minimal surgery and with robotic hands at the end of chopsticks).. low blood lost.. and no open surgery just 4 hole lik scars..

heres the news.. prostate cancer is diagnosed in as many men as breast cancer for women.. but usualli 60+ men compared with 50+ for women..
usualli if its small the guy will dies from something else..
im not an expert in prostate cancer.. i did alot of the others.. and the priniciples are similar..

should hav a rectal if ure a man over 50.. and if ure wondering about gettin ure jollies off?... im not sure.. im yet to see ;) and its usualli an old fairly ugly doctor

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
ok.. i cant believe u are making me talk about this..
simply.. we use it as a screening test
a) its cheap
b) detects alot of things... rectal cancers, pelvic inflammatory diseases in women, prostate in men
c) u feel and u kno wat a prostate will feel lik.. after a couple of normal ones..
in tumours (both the nasty one (cancer) and the not so nasty one (benign)) it swells up because of the rapidly incring cells in the prostate..
d) we send for a blood test and then a biospy ( via rectal and using a ultrasound) to confirm diagnosis
e) with a camera .. this is for removal of the prostate if the cancer if it is advance.. its done laproscopically.. (think minimal surgery and with robotic hands at the end of chopsticks).. low blood lost.. and no open surgery just 4 hole lik scars..

heres the news.. prostate cancer is diagnosed in as many men as breast cancer for women.. but usualli 60+ men compared with 50+ for women..
usualli if its small the guy will dies from something else..
im not an expert in prostate cancer.. i did alot of the others.. and hte priniciples are similar..
You will need practice explaining this to people :D

Thanks for the info, but how do you know what a normal one feels like? Do you practice on other med students?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
no we hav actors and volunteers
... i dun hav to do them for real till 5th yr
lik the vaginal exam...

to be honest.. sex has lost all meanin after these lolz

X

xeuyrawp

+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
no we hav actors and volunteers
... i dun hav to do them for real till 5th yr
lik the vaginal exam...

to be honest.. sex has lost all meanin after these lolz
Yeh. I'd get over it pretty quick, I can be a very practical person. I wonder how much the actors are paid. It would be worse for me doing the vagina exam- "oh... this is interesting, I've never seen this before!"

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
haha well its like tat.. i dunno its lik tat when Bphysiotherapy or Bsci kids walk into our classes.. they are like "Wtf..".. we are lik lookin at vaginas and penises specimens.. and they are doing arm muscles..

yeah in 5th yr.. most schools make u deliver a baby too :)..
the actors get paid heaps.. sometimes its so expensive its just a regular patient we can get consent from.. we lik them better.. cos they arent being paid ^^.. we are real nice to them :)

X

xeuyrawp

+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
yeah in 5th yr.. most schools make u deliver a baby too :)..
the actors get paid heaps.. sometimes its so expensive its just a regular patient we can get consent from.. we lik them better.. cos they arent being paid ^^.. we are real nice to them :)
You've gotta be nice to those about to pass on :p

Ah, it's 3:20, and I haven't finished my study.

roger321

HSC
N/A
lol hahah.. i find it funny how huge the penis/ball sacks are after embalming... i always have to giggle when the demonstrator has to flop it over hahaha....

(btw chiro touch more than the back... you leanr how to do breast examinations also their is some groin static palp

X

xeuyrawp

roger321 said:
lol hahah.. i find it funny how huge the penis/ball sacks are after embalming... i always have to giggle when the demonstrator has to flop it over hahaha....
You get a whole embalmed body?

roger321

HSC
N/A
nah the body is chopped up into smaller bits.... ie arm, leg, knee, elbow. theres quite a few different prosections

X

xeuyrawp

roger321 said:
nah the body is chopped up into smaller bits.... ie arm, leg, knee, elbow. theres quite a few different prosections
If you get genitalia, do they just cut a triangle from the waist down? This is fascinating. I should have done med.

Last edited by a moderator:

sillychikki

HSC
PwarYuex said:
If you get genitalia, do they just cut a triangle from the waist down?
I'm guessing you get the lower half of a torso or half a lower torso to look at the structures inside and out? When we were doing the leg we got half the lower torso and naturally half the genitalia to go with it, you should have seen the way the guys reacted, they had to cover it up straightaway....

Touching people can be weird.... the toes and moving the joints in the fingers are bad enough (much worse than backs!), but you do get used to it. Since we practice on each other and not on patients or actors, I'm guessing we do the breast examination on each other too. Hmmm......

PS: mz_bubbletea: I cant think of anyone who failed biol 114, you can easily get a D without even trying, its the easiest subject you'll ever do......

Last edited:

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
PwarYuex said:
If you get genitalia, do they just cut a triangle from the waist down? This is fascinating. I should have done med.
umm i just had vagina and penis pointed at me.. no legs.. interestingly.. because these ppl are normally older from natural deaths.. their bits hav shrunken either from the preservatives or the hormonal cycle hav made them strink heaps too.. .. or in the case of a prostate.. expand :p

well mabbe u should hav.. i was goin to do either BVetSc at usyd or law at macq :) but better judgement told me id like med more..

//edit: interestingly.. my male anatomy tutor couldnt quite get the labia minora open... to show us.. one of the bits :|.. .. surprising how many guys couldnt quite see the clitoris.. and desparately wanted to kno.. :p

Last edited:

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
sillychikki said:
I'm guessing you get the lower half of a torso or half a lower torso to look at the structures inside and out? When we were doing the leg we got half the lower torso and naturally half the genitalia to go with it, you should have seen the way the guys reacted, they had to cover it up straightaway....

Touching people can be weird.... the toes and moving the joints in the fingers are bad enough (much worse than backs!), but you do get used to it. Since we practice on each other and not on patients or actors, I'm guessing we do the breast examination on each other too. Hmmm......

PS: mz_bubbletea: I cant think of anyone who failed biol 114, you can easily get a D without even trying, its the easiest subject you'll ever do......
umm interestingly why do u guys do a breast exam for?

im have done it on other med students and myself.. and actors for our practicals..
its weird because apparently since the kylie breast cancer thing.. alot more young women are having breast checks..
yes so i kno how to do a breast exam .. for tumours tho...
i think my girlfriend got a lil worried.. thinking it was 20-something girls.. then i told her 60-something women.. she eased up pretty quickly lolz

X

xeuyrawp

+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
umm interestingly why do u guys do a breast exam for?

im have done it on other med students and myself.. and actors for our practicals..
its weird because apparently since the kylie breast cancer thing.. alot more young women are having breast checks..
yes so i kno how to do a breast exam .. for tumours tho...
i think my girlfriend got a lil worried.. thinking it was 20-something girls.. then i told her 60-something women.. she eased up pretty quickly lolz
Aren't breast exams pretty simple, though?

I would have loved to have done med, but I can't handle science and math very well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)