B Chiropractic Science (1 Viewer)

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
Aren't breast exams pretty simple, though?

I would have loved to have done med, but I can't handle science and math very well.
Science + stat :|

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
yes and no
u kno tat of ppl tat turn up to medical practitioners for examination after they felt a lump.. tat only 20% are a tumour but half of them are cancers.. its the technique.. its hard to get right and educate a person tat there isnt a general case .. but with any lumps u shoud get it checked.. and if the cancer can be felt its quiet big already :( it why u need a mammogram if ure a woman over 50.

science is awesome in med if u enjoy it.. cos they kno tat u did it.. so they usualli dun assess it very well.. and its contextual and continuous..
we do very lil maths.. till later and it is all stats.. im not sure but wats it like in chiro?

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
mz_bubbletea said:
:p

btw... since ur a science boy, did anyone fail bio114?
You cant fail biol114

Make sure you study for it and get a D!
Wait you arent transferring :p

X

xeuyrawp

+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
yes and no
u kno tat of ppl tat turn up to medical practitioners for examination after they felt a lump.. tat only 20% are a tumour but half of them are cancers.. its the technique.. its hard to get right and educate a person tat there isnt a general case .. but with any lumps u shoud get it checked.. and if the cancer can be felt its quiet big already :( it why u need a mammogram if ure a woman over 50.

science is awesome in med if u enjoy it.. cos they kno tat u did it.. so they usualli dun assess it very well.. and its contextual and continuous..
we do very lil maths.. till later and it is all stats.. im not sure but wats it like in chiro?
A big problem is that now I see things as black and white. I used to like "sitting on the fence" on politics, news, essay writing, etc, but now I'm totally one way or the other. I think this is a result of too much law study (too much law study with too little actually doing law:p)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
yeah we get a lot of ppl who want clear cut answers.. but modern medicine changes very quickly and the borders are very blurred.."sometimes", "usually", "rarely" and very subjective adjectives are thrown in..

lik in osteoporosis.. if the threshold is sd -2.5. wat do u do with a person with - 2.49 in the hips and - 2.30 in their back? so u make a decision and pray it works then tat noone sues you for it..

X

xeuyrawp

+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
u make a decision and pray it works then tat noone sues you for it..
I'm just saving time and money by becomming a lawyer.

sillychikki

HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
Chiro is very very little maths, we're like the only science students that don't have to do statistics. The only maths we do is basic and part of scientific formulae, apart from a third year subject on Research Methodology which has a little in stats i think and then a major research study we do in fifth year. Very little maths is part of the reason why chiro's so great! I don't know why more people don't do it....

roger321

HSC
N/A
haha if preservatives make it shrink, the specimens we been looking at must of been hung like a friggen horse! the fact that its chopped in half tho... o_0 i feel its pain......

yeh apparently we get taught breast exams to test for cancer... i think there are also exams for the vagina as well... lol the communications lecture we got on this was hilarious.. haah

btw if u can use a ruler to measure stuff... you can do chiro.. thats as mathy as it gets i think

ReaveR

HSC
'Ruler to measure' and 'hung like a horse' in the same post seems a bit strange..

sillychikki

HSC
roger321 said:
i think there are also exams for the vagina as well... lol the communications lecture we got on this was hilarious.. haah
Lol i dont think so somehow... can you imagine getting informed consent for that? It's a bit more invasive than a breast exam... I think I'd leave that for +Po1ntDeXt3r+ to do. It would end up being like the lecture where the chiropractor got 'friendly' with his patient... that put the pat into patient.

roger321

HSC
N/A
didnt he say that it was okay for him to "insert his fingers into her vagina" because she had a complaint about it and he was just palpitating the region for something? it was just him banging her on the bed that got him sued ;p

sillychikki

HSC
roger321 said:
didnt he say that it was okay for him to "insert his fingers into her vagina" because she had a complaint about it and he was just palpitating the region for something? it was just him banging her on the bed that got him sued ;p
I was under the impression that it was ok to do static palp under the underwear (with informed consent of course) but that as soon as it became insertion that she should have stopped it..... naturally banging him on the bed was cause for complaint!!!

roger321

HSC
N/A
haha i actually cant remember that much from that lecture so you are probably right....
too bad stuff like that aint gonna be in the test =((

sillychikki

HSC
roger321 said:
haha i actually cant remember that much from that lecture so you are probably right....
too bad stuff like that aint gonna be in the test =((
Yeah it would be heaps easier to learn than biomechanics...... so many facts to learn before tomorrow......

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
ReaveR said:
'Ruler to measure' and 'hung like a horse' in the same post seems a bit strange..
hahaha you havent seen anything yet :p

We've given rectals.. though im sure the Golden retriever i practised on was quite happy for me to take a rectal, mainly because i had a pocketful of treats.. though i dont blame her for getting restless after a whole class of vet students practising

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
haha ... poor animal.. tats sodomising isnt it? u didnt hav consent..
why do chiros check for cancer? i didnt think tat was part of the deal with being in chiro?

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
haha ... poor animal.. tats sodomising isnt it? u didnt hav consent..
you're one to talk....so you giving a patient a rectal is also classified as sodomising

consent? we have owner consent and its a golden retriever, it lets you do anything to it (for clinical examination)

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
woah, i like only read the first pg of this thread, i had no idea chiropractors made so much money! this is news to me

roger321

HSC
N/A
ouch... anal penetration o_0

err i guess we learn how to do breast exam in case a patient comes in and says:
"hey i think there is a lump growing in my breast.. wtf is going on? pls help!" we would know how to diagnose it... (or something or othjer... sorry if not making too much sense... biomechanics is on my mind o_0)

EDIT: you're prolly gonna say well thats a GP's job... but the patients obviously trust the chiro to discuss such a vulnerable situation with em and it'll be quite cold and dismissing to tell em go away and see their gp (who they may or may not have such a faithful relationship with).

Last edited:

roger321

HSC
N/A
~*HSC 4 life*~ said:
woah, i like only read the first pg of this thread, i had no idea chiropractors made so much money! this is news to me
yeh i didnt know graduate salary were that high as well.... i mean 60-80k.. phwoah...

but i guess we need it to pay of the masters... =(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)