B Comm/B Laws (1 Viewer)

Jawa

HSC
I am filling out the internal undergraduate proposed program form for B Commerce/B Laws as suggested in the enrolment and I am wondering about "ACST101" whether it should be in my best interests to complete "MATH123" prior to this unit because I did not complete HSC Mathematics however I did do HSC General Mathematics (Mark 94).

Would it be better to complete "MATH123" first? If so, can it be done in one semester in conjunction with 4 other units of 3 credit points? (In other words is it a large course that would make a normal workload simply too much?)

Or would it be better to attend the Numeracy centres if I am having trouble for particular units because I am fairly confident in my mathematical ability, I just have not learned the HSC Mathematics content?

Or is there an alternative HSC Mathematics or equivalent bridging course I can complete before commencement on the 25th Feb?

Thanks.

Salliea

HSC
From my experience, I think those who did anything below 'Maths 3U' found 'ACST101' challenging, so I would personally recommend you to do MATH123.
That being said, doing 4 standard units a semester is pretty time requiring if you want to do really well in the subjects. I have seen some people do 5, but during the finals, it gets pretty hectic for them - then again, it depends on what units you're doing, if you just want to Pass, do really well, and if there even is a final examination for it.

ACST101 is under a PAL (Peer Assisted Learning) system, where you get extra tutorial help with peers, lead by somebody who previously got a Distinction+ result in the unit. I attended that and thought it would be quiet helpful for those struggling in the maths side of it.

Unfortunately, MQ Uni just finished their Summer Session (Nov-Jan) so I don't think there's a course you can complete before the 25th of Feb.

Hopes this helps ^^

Jawa

HSC
From my experience, I think those who did anything below 'Maths 3U' found 'ACST101' challenging, so I would personally recommend you to do MATH123.
That being said, doing 4 standard units a semester is pretty time requiring if you want to do really well in the subjects. I have seen some people do 5, but during the finals, it gets pretty hectic for them - then again, it depends on what units you're doing, if you just want to Pass, do really well, and if there even is a final examination for it.

ACST101 is under a PAL (Peer Assisted Learning) system, where you get extra tutorial help with peers, lead by somebody who previously got a Distinction+ result in the unit. I attended that and thought it would be quiet helpful for those struggling in the maths side of it.

Unfortunately, MQ Uni just finished their Summer Session (Nov-Jan) so I don't think there's a course you can complete before the 25th of Feb.

Hopes this helps ^^
Thanks for that, I think it seems pretty logical to do MATH123 and have it replace one of my 100 level units for the first year? (That I would do in 2nd year)

By any chance do you know much about MATH123? Is it pretty much a refresher for what I have missed during the HSC or does it directly apply to the Uni Course?

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
You should do MATH123, as you may find it slightly challenging as it's assumed knowledge that you did at least 2U Mathematics in high school.

On the plus side, you can use MATH123 as your planet unit, therefore you will not be wasting any graduation time!

HI-5 btw, welcome to Comm/Law!

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
I would highly advise you not to do 4 + units in conjunction with MATH123,

MATH123 has 4 lectures (1 hour sessions) and 1 tutorial, which you may find quite intense.

Jawa

HSC
You should do MATH123, as you may find it slightly challenging as it's assumed knowledge that you did at least 2U Mathematics in high school.

On the plus side, you can use MATH123 as your planet unit, therefore you will not be wasting any graduation time!

HI-5 btw, welcome to Comm/Law!
Ok cool, what does that replace? (planet unit)

Also, which level 100 unit would you recommend leaving until second year?

Thanks mate.

Salliea

HSC
A planet unit doesn't replace any units. It's an extra subject you have to pick up before at anytime before your graduation.
This also applies with the people unit.

Jawa

HSC
A planet unit doesn't replace any units. It's an extra subject you have to pick up before at anytime before your graduation.
This also applies with the people unit.
I see, I've just noticed my Commercial Law first year unit is a planet unit also, unlucky I guess.

Salliea

HSC
^ The subjects that you have to do in your degree don't count towards your planet and people units.
So say like me:
I'm doing Applied Finance/Com-Prof. Accounting, that means as part of my degree I have to do STAT170.
STAT170 is a planet unit. But it doesn't count as my planet unit.
Therefore, for my planet unit, I had to do ISYS100, another planet unit ( which was a really interesting yet some what relaxing subject btw :D)

People and Planet units have to be outside your faculty.
Apparently though, I think you can take one of them within your faculty. <-- I'm not sure about that though :\ you'll probably have to ask somebody more official.

kkmok

HSC
Uni Grad
If you are doing stat170 and acst101 only and you don't like maths, you don't really need math123.

Basically acst101 require you to understand the questions and apply the formulas ( you don't need to understand where this formula come from and in 2Unit mathematics you HAVE to DERIVE the formula for superannuation and annuity.)

Just do a few more past papers, you will notice the questions in class test & final are very similar.

Proteus

HSC
Put your time into ACST, learn the Elements part of it as it's easy marks.

Techniques should be very ROTE like

Jawa

HSC
If you are doing stat170 and acst101 only and you don't like maths, you don't really need math123.

Basically acst101 require you to understand the questions and apply the formulas ( you don't need to understand where this formula come from and in 2Unit mathematics you HAVE to DERIVE the formula for superannuation and annuity.)

Just do a few more past papers, you will notice the questions in class test & final are very similar.
So it is more or less just substituting values into formulas given to come up with answers? That is the extent or the easiest?

Put your time into ACST, learn the Elements part of it as it's easy marks.

Techniques should be very ROTE like
So I should be fine as long as I focus on my weak points?

Last edited:

kkmok

HSC
Uni Grad
So it is more or less just substituting values into formulas given to come up with answers? That is the extent or the easiest?

So I should be fine as long as I focus on my weak points?
Yes, you need to know which formula to use (such as using the compound interest formula when the interest is compounded) and read the question carefully like whether the interest compounded yearly or month or weekly. Also always draw a timeline (like invest from 1/1/2006 to 1/1/2012 is 6years, some tricky date timeline will be useful to substitute the value for t correctly.) This should be apply for the most topics.

If you read the question correctly, use the right formula and substitute the right value. You should be able to do acst101 well.

For me, elements are much harder LOL :p

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)