B Design (VISUAL COMMUNICATION) [uai cutoffs/questions/help] (1 Viewer)

jaydot

HSC
2004: 92.30
2005: 92.70
2006: 86.05

What was the UAI cutoffs for VISCOM for the previous years...? (03,02....)

I've read from some relatively old topics that the UAI has been dropping ever since. Does this seem to be the relative direction this course UAI cutoff is reaching (as in decreasing)?

I wanna do this course so badly, and the only probable alternative (i dont really want to take the alternative) would be a college as i'm not relatively hyped up about UNSW, and USYD told me that they do not offer a course which lead to a career in "graphic design".

I believe i'll probably be able to reach an 80's UAI but i'm not sure where, low, mid or high (i still have some big question mark over that too.... if you want to view my half yearly marks ill punch them up)

If i am not capable of attaining the required UAI, what options do i have after this? I heard about INSEARCH @ UTS...?

Last edited:

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
For alternative courses, the only really decent places I can think of would probably be Billy Blue [BA in Visual Communications]or COFA[BVisual Design]. They're all great venues so all three institutions are worth looking into.

Otherwise you could take a Diploma from INSEARCH or TAFE and apply for entry to UTS, or you could transfer from another degree with a lower cut-off after a year.

jaydot

HSC
How does this whole transfering thing work? My brother suggested the same thing but i never considered it because i didn't know the clockwork behind it.

Also, are you sure that there is a B Visual Design at COFA? I can only see DESIGN. http://www.cofa.unsw.edu.au/college/ugprograms/

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
jaydot said:
How does this whole transfering thing work? My brother suggested the same thing but i never considered it because i didn't know the clockwork behind it.

Also, are you sure that there is a B Visual Design at COFA? I can only see DESIGN. http://www.cofa.unsw.edu.au/college/ugprograms/
With transfers, you basically use a mix of your uni grades and UAI to apply to a course(also a personal statement with uts transfers). If the courses were in similar areas you can recieve a certain amount of credit which would let you finish your new degree sooner.

And you're quite right about the B Design, I must have put the 'visual' there reflexively.

EDIT: This is what you'd be looking at if you went to TAFE first, and this at INSEARCH. This is the Billy Blue course, and this is the KvB course.

Last edited:

jaydot

HSC
You seem to know your stuff about Vis Comm and other related degrees/courses, but you don't do it yourself? lol

I know this is a very stupid question, but do you think you could tell me why the course dropped so much this year and if you think it'll drop any further the following?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
jaydot said:
You seem to know your stuff about Vis Comm and other related degrees/courses, but you don't do it yourself? lol
I only know about Vis Comm as it relate to the Communication industry in general, as for the rest, its just general knowledge alot of uni students acquire.

jaydot said:
I know this is a very stupid question, but do you think you could tell me why the course dropped so much this year and if you think it'll drop any further the following?
UAIs are determined by supply, demand and caliber of the applicants. If less people apply or more places are offered then the UAI cut-off will by neccessity drop. In my faculty, there has been something of an increase in places offered. I couldn't tell you whether the same would happen/did happen with the Vis Comm as with my Comm degree but its very possible.

jaydot

HSC
Nup, and that UWS option is depressing.
Hehehe. UTS :)
I might go through the INSEARCH course at UTS if i cant get into the degree.

Such a sucker how there arent any good/reputable places that offer it

spillargroove

HSC
It's amazing how people pre-judge a degree without knowing much about it. The reason why Visual Communication at UWS is 60 because they are allowing a greater number of people who aren't good with academic marks to do it because they understand their creative abilites outweight. If you don't make it and it means you have limited options, you should consider UWS because the degree is the same and UTS should hold UWS highly because it is the only other university offering the course.

The only thing I am a shamed about is there are a number of people doing Visual Communication at UTS because they want to play around with the adobe products or think its a bludge. Wait until there out in the industry. UTS should seriosuly only take in people who are actually that serious about a design career.

juni

juni
HSC
spillargroove said:
It's amazing how people pre-judge a degree without knowing much about it. The reason why Visual Communication at UWS is 60 because they are allowing a greater number of people who aren't good with academic marks to do it because they understand their creative abilites outweight. If you don't make it and it means you have limited options, you should consider UWS because the degree is the same and UTS should hold UWS highly because it is the only other university offering the course.

The only thing I am a shamed about is there are a number of people doing Visual Communication at UTS because they want to play around with the adobe products or think its a bludge. Wait until there out in the industry. UTS should seriosuly only take in people who are actually that serious about a design career.
Are you currently at UTS? Because I don't think anybody takes vis comm lightly there...

juni

juni
HSC
oh also, the reason for the dramatic drop in the uai in 2006 is because UTS actually accepted too many people.. (said the lecturer)

On the first day of inter disciplinary design studies the Gutherie theatre that accomodates about 300 and something seats were full and people had to sit on stairs or stand up at the back.

I think the demand remains constantly strong and competitive, it's just that in 06 they accepted way too many people that's all.

juni

juni
HSC
hmm.. I can't tell how many people they are going to choose to accept this year but from what the lecturers were saying, they don't want to accept too many like last year..
The possibility of getting a place as a non current school leaver is apparently harder than those year 12s who apply directly with a uai as they only accept about 10~15 non curent school leavers.
However they aren't biased against anyone and if they see real passion and talent, they should accept you. (After ranking the non current school leavers in order)
I know a few that got in... One person transfered from UWS and still made it, others from UNSW Design, UTS Design etc... They all maintained about Credit/distinction average.

juni

juni
HSC
If you didn't get an interview that means you didn't make it to the second round of selection....Hence you didn't make it :(

juni

juni
HSC
oh ok that's good then :)
well I asked the course director and I was told that response. I also asked the student admin and they also said about 10 or so non current school leavers. Hence the fierce competition. They rank candidates based on the 70% statement+interview and 30% Academic merit (UAI + GPA) and then choose the best candidates.

juni

juni
HSC
well i haven't seen your portfolio/read your statement/ know your uai, so I can't judge...
Basically if you felt confident at the interview then you obviously have a chance :)

Calla

HSC
I would think it would be more than 25 people being interviewed. I mean interviews were cast along 2 days (for viscomm), and if each interview was 20 mins long, that makes for a lot of participants (assuming the whole day was used) .. dont you think

Calla

HSC
i guess....hellomike, just out of curiosity what UAI did u get ?

hellomike

HSC
It wasn't that good but not really bad either - well I hope they accept around 15 people because that would mean half of people. I'm not sure if they said a quota but I hope if there are still places, they would consider given more places to NRSL.

Are you going to find out tonight? I'm going to wait tomorrow for the offer letter

Last edited:

Calla

HSC
im definitely finding out tonight....i dont think i can wait another day in suspense

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)