• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Bachelor of Actuarial Studies at UNSW (1 Viewer)

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
If this degree was introduced, with a 99+ cut off, "roughly 99.3-4", would doing actuarial studies seem a lot more appealing?

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
isn't that way everyone wants to do law and med cause the cut-off is 99+

HSC
Uni Grad
Bump. They're introducing it to students commencing in 2013. So, what do you think of it?

http://www.educators.unsw.edu.au/app/webroot/uploads/file/Bachelor of Actuarial Studies 2013.pdf

I personally think that the degree program lacks flexibility, and it's like another marketing technique (heck, I wouldn't be able to do human resources and Chinese along with actuarial) to try and get high achievers into UNSW. I think they should just stick with the actuarial major as part of the commerce degree.

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
Fuuuuuuuuuark, means I NEED To get atleast a 98... fml.

wolfspirit

HSC
N/A
What are the implications for a student that's about to commence transition studies in Sem2 for provisional entry into BCom for 2013? It is my goal to do Actuarial Studies as well.

ZeeZee3

HSC
I might sound like a noob but what is the difference between
- Bachelor of Actuarial Studies - 3 years
- Bachelor of Actuarial Studies(Professional/ Honours) - 4 years
- Bachelor of Actuarial Studies (Co-Op) - 4 years
what does it mean when its "professional/honours and "co-op"?

I think this is a great program and im considering it as one of my options after highschool.

TheStallion

HSC
CO-OP is the co-op program, look it up
Honours is an extra year with more prestige, generally available with any degree

wolfspirit

HSC
N/A
I'm not 100% sure about the co-op program, but as you might know by now, to become a fully qualified actuary, you'll need to clear 3 stages of professional exams.

The first stage can be cleared by taking a degree in actuarial studies (or the relevant modules in some other programme). Take note that you need to fare a certain grade within the relevant module(s) to be considered "exempt" from taking the exams. If you miss the opportunity during school, then the only option would be to take it post-graduation. The second stage is cleared during your honour year, or by juggling the exams while working. If you clear these two stages, you're considered an "associate".

The third stage requires some work experience so you'll have no choice but to do it post-graduation.

HSC
Uni Grad
I might sound like a noob but what is the difference between
- Bachelor of Actuarial Studies - 3 years
- Bachelor of Actuarial Studies(Professional/ Honours) - 4 years
- Bachelor of Actuarial Studies (Co-Op) - 4 years
what does it mean when its "professional/honours and "co-op"?

I think this is a great program and im considering it as one of my options after highschool.
The 1st one implies the Standard degree that you are doing. The 2nd one is based on the co-op program, giving you an internship throughout your uni study at an actuarial firm. The 3rd one is a year added on top by doing honours year + thesis.

But as wolfspirit said, to be a fully qualified actuary, you have to meet exemptions for part I and part II of the IAA, as well as to complete your part III's.

qwerty44

HSC
Would you be able to double major AND double degree with Maths?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)