• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Back to the 70's for good rock? (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ellie_Belly

HSC
AsyLum said:
You really do fail to see the underlying concepts at hand don't you?

Your first post:

Premise 1: ...music everywhere, since 2000.

Premise 2: Music which is dumbed down, ala simplistic in nature, which reduces the talent required to be a 'successful' guitarist or musician.

Premise 3: There are bands, but they are few, which are ok. Emphasis on 'everything else gives me the shits'.

Premise 4: Reversion to rock during the 60s, 70s, reasoning included that these were 'far more complex, powerful and better quality' as opposed to 'what is being created now'.

Premise 5: Distinction between Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix and The Beatles. Reasoning given via 2nd post: 'I found that the beatels got a bit boring with some of there silly songs, but they had a fair few good ones.'

2nd Post:

Premise 6: Being in a school jazz band makes your tastes unique, and appreciation for songs which are really 'unique, complex in either theory or style.'

Premise 7: Offers reasons for 'dislike' of contemporary rock.
- over use of repetition
- subject matter
- solo's being too 'rigid'
- chord patterns > riffs
- uniqueness is gone

Premise 8: Additional criteria, lack of sentences = lack of creativity.

From here on, things get interesting :)

Admission that there are in fact musical likes which stem from non-technically proficient bands. (Probably a misunderstood point here, since the original quote was saying exactly what I had said).

Musical technicality leading to musical enjoyment, given.

Given.

Now we come to the crux of the matter:

So:
- Simple is ok, but no bands to your knowledge have done this.
- it is 'all' just raw chords, simple nature again.
- More technical stuff will be appreciated more, but the simple stuff, which can be ok, isnt present in contemporary music.

Conclusion: Technical skill therefore should be used as a medium for musical appreciation.

Now, I've been arguing that this is a flawed way of logic. It has nothing to do with individual tastes, perspectives and all that other crap.

You've surmised that a) the contemporary rock scene is overtly simplistic, b) low quality, c) does not hold up to older bands/releases.

Yes, calling you a musical elitist was meant as an insult. Why? Because as I stated, the logic is flawed. Technical appreciation is one thing, but to throw a blanket over and say that the contemporary music is all just simple 4 chord chuggers is a pretty big statement.

Then you throw in, the "back in the old days" argument, by saying things were better back then. Now you have said that the reasons for these are a) they were technically better b) more original c) better quality.

I retorted by asking what is wrong with simple songs, you answered nothing. So therefore, there is nothing wrong with simple songs, like the creedence clearwater revival. But what exactly made these songs better?

It manages to produce a unique sound. So here we have it.

The one remaining point, you want more 'unique' sounding music. See I would agree with you, that there are more things which need more uniqueness to them. But is it really that bad to sound like someone else? Especially since the early trend-setters basically laid the foundations for contemporary music, and some continue to do so. The Rolling Stones' unique sound has been replicated by many bands. Led Zeppelin's songs contained unique raw vocals and use of new effects, same as Jimi Hendrix.

But where were these artists getting their influence from? Probably country, through players such as Chet Atkins, big-bands like Duke Ellington, soloists like Chuck Berry.

So my point is, for contemporary music to 'give you the shits' is not a fault of contemporary music, but rather your own. As you and others have stated, commercial channels focus on a minute level of exposure. So go find something unique, music isn't just what's on the radio.

And to discount the Beatles as the driving force for most of the contemporary music world. For shame.
Shutup.

shimmerz_777

HSC
You have way way way too much time on your hands. i cant be bothered to explain myself much more.

Is it a crime to make generalised statements so you dont go on and on and on and on about why you believe something?

Is it a crime to have a thought about something, state your opinion, give a reason?

Stop treating me like a history source or a psycology subject and go post something about what this forum was about before you took it out of context by trying to deconstruct me like an english text to discover bias and all this other shit which is just wasting your time, and trying to make you feel good about yourself.

For fucks sake you left the HSC in 2002 or something get a life and go to a forum with peopl your age instead of trying to demonise one person who wanted to say something about an area he had strong beliefs about. you pathetic because you devoted all this time into trapping me to sound like im some kind of idiot instead of doing something useful with your life, and ill ive tried to do is just explain why i think of something.

if you want to argue is it my fault or musics fault that i dont like it then go ahead but youre again just wasting your time.

Last edited:

shimmerz_777

HSC
Besides, you started insulting me before you even said my logic was flawed. to me, and again i stress this is subjective, you seem to be a power hungry individual who enjoys trying to make fun of people younger than yourself through trying to contradict, analyse and discredit what they say. im sure your diploma of psycoanalitical expertice really came in handy when you decided to start arguing with a person who just doesnt like mainstream contemporary music

what do you want to achieve from me. do you want me to throw down my arms and repent my sins? do you want me to listen to pop music? do you want me to stop listening to music in such a way that i don think about the theory and structuring behind it?

for christ sake do something constructive with your life other than sit in a forum for peopl who are still at school and picking arguments with people yet to be enlightened by your words of wisdom.

i never said anything really bad about the beatels. the songs i were refering to were the ones like yellow submarine. for shame on you for taking my quotes out of context to help your petty argument.

Gangels

HSC
I went through the same stage in yr 9 and 10. All i wanted to listen to was Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Dragon, Santana and original punks like Sex Pistols.

But i ended up looking for more bands and i stumbled across radiohead, Muse, Portishead etc. And then loved the new bands lik Arctic Monkeys, Franz and Wolfmother, And now i have everything from Mozart to Metallica. Look around the CD store. Listen to random CD' sor bands you thought you wouldnt like. Im sure you'll find something.

Gangels

HSC
shimmerz_777 said:
Thank you for getting back on topic.
Dude, i personally dont see the point in reading all that. If they wanna take the time i say go for it but i aint readin it. I havent got that much attention for even one of their posts. By the way, talking 70's, Hippie crazy day is tomorrow. Gives you a great chance to play Jimmy Hendrix for no reason.

shimmerz_777

HSC
If it wasnt about me, id be saying the same thing as you, but i just started trying to defend my character and got a bit carried away in the end.

jooobl

crazy cat lady
HSC
skipped arguements and would like to add:

80's music and alot of 90's rock music is good as well imo :)

As for 2000+ music rock: I am not a real fan of anyone 'rock' or anything else really- cept for Foo Fighters

Lots of love for the fooeys

Gangels

HSC
Oh ok. But i understand. These guys just start shit anyway. I say you blast the shit out of them with some LED.

HAPPY CRAZY HIPPIE DAY TO ALL!:)

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
I was an avid 60's and 70's fan when i started playing guitar, but 80's thrash and hair metal would be my favourite genres to listen to nowadays. I never really got into the popular 'rock' in the 90's (all that alternate, grunge, indie stuff). Nowadays, pretty much the same thing, there seems to be a bit of a revival of grunge i think...although i can hear alot of led zeppelin and black sabbath coming around in wolfmother's riffs, and scott from the living end is pretty underrated as far as a guitarist goes...music is totally subjective anyway, one listener's trash is another's gold, and arguing about it will only lead us in circles (as we've seen :p).

old school rock from the 60's-80's isnt dead at all, if you know where to look there's a HUGE underground scene of young bands influenced by that era waiting to get into the mainstream. I reckon music works in cycles, around 10 years ago when the alternative scene was in swing, DJs were mainly underground...and 20 years ago, when metal and glam rock acts were numerous, grunge, indie and alternative bands were underground...and 30-40 years ago when 70's classic rock/rock n roll was going around, the metal scene was just starting to come around.

Who knows what will be next ;)

spiny norman

HSC
shimmerz_777 said:
Besides, you started insulting me before you even said my logic was flawed. to me, and again i stress this is subjective, you seem to be a power hungry individual who enjoys trying to make fun of people younger than yourself through trying to contradict, analyse and discredit what they say. im sure your diploma of psycoanalitical expertice really came in handy when you decided to start arguing with a person who just doesnt like mainstream contemporary music

what do you want to achieve from me. do you want me to throw down my arms and repent my sins? do you want me to listen to pop music? do you want me to stop listening to music in such a way that i don think about the theory and structuring behind it?

for christ sake do something constructive with your life other than sit in a forum for peopl who are still at school and picking arguments with people yet to be enlightened by your words of wisdom.

i never said anything really bad about the beatels. the songs i were refering to were the ones like yellow submarine. for shame on you for taking my quotes out of context to help your petty argument.
I've handily bolded all grammatical/spelling errors for your attention. Hopefully you won't be as much of a whiney douche about this as you are about music.

shimmerz_777

HSC
I will probably be crucified for this, and again, i stress that this is my opinion.
Since the real kick off of rap music i find that rock essentially has been forgotten. i do not like the style of rap, as i am all for the idea that music should be played, not created electronically through computors only. Rap musicians have saturated the music industry, and i really really dislike their music.

The thing that i find really really stupid though is the lyrics to songs like P.I.M.P, or Its getting hot in here so take off all your clothes.

Personally, i thought that PIMPS were disliked and being a pimp was a lifestyle that was shunned by prettymuch every moral and ethical code in society. yet he made his song, and it topped the charts, contrary to legal/religious/moral/ethical beliefs.

as for nelly, well i thought that to get a girl to bed or something, a cheezy pick up line aint going to work on them. however, "its gettin hot in here so take off all your clothes, It is getting so hot i wanna take my clothes off"!?!?!?!?!? Dont you think that that is the most ridiculous song title youve ever heard? am i a complete idiot or is this actually really offensive and degrading for women?

one may even be as bold to claim that rap is fast becoming a new version of pop music, created for commercial reasons. if you disagree, concider fiddy's album and movie title, "get rich or die trying". everything about 50cent seems to be about money, ironically, his name is to.

something even worse i heard on the radio once was some dudes rapping to edgar allen poe's "the raven" i thought that was a bit stupid.

any thoughts?

G

Gavvvvvin

Yawn.

Your elementary knowledge of music theory is impressing no one. Shutup.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
God, and I thought I was talking to a musical genius, you know cos he's in a Jazz band at school!

ezrin

HSC
shimmerz_777 you are exactly correct in all ways... rap etc is crap.. there is not musicianship involved anymore.. its just all speaking fast... woohoo (not)

as a drummer and musician i reckon its important that we support local live acts... and get some decent stuff playing on the radio etc

Some_Guy

HSC
the 70s had its fair share of crap too... just not as much

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Man, you lot are either absolutely sheltered or just ignorant.

shimmerz_777

HSC
spiny norman said:
I've handily bolded all grammatical/spelling errors for your attention. Hopefully you won't be as much of a whiney douche about this as you are about music.
And the world is now a better place thanks to your contribution? i bet it took alot of courage to present youre opinion to this forum. perhaps it would be better if you underline the subject and highlight the predicate of each sentence, and translate it into french for all of those who dont understand what im trying to say.

moral of the story: No-one gives a shit, nothing is gained from youre pointless spellcheck.

shimmerz_777

HSC
I'm not out to impress, im just saying what i like and dislike about music. what i find is that people who play instruments tend to agree with me more than those who dont.

G

Gavvvvvin

Well I play an instrument and I think your a bloody idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)