• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Back to the 70's for good rock? (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
shimmerz_777 said:
I'm not out to impress, im just saying what i like and dislike about music. what i find is that people who play instruments tend to agree with me more than those who dont.
Do you like classical? As for all the muso's that agree with you, they're tools. Audiophiles that think old school music is all that and that music technology stopped at vinyl.

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
ezrin said:
shimmerz_777 you are exactly correct in all ways... rap etc is crap.. there is not musicianship involved anymore.. its just all speaking fast... woohoo (not)

as a drummer and musician i reckon its important that we support local live acts... and get some decent stuff playing on the radio etc

ignorance *shakes head* let me guess you are forming an opinion of rap on the bullshit you hear on the radio, ie, 50 cent, black eyed peas etc?

the roots
common
old nas
KRS-One
the pharcyde
OLD OutKast (and no not ms jackson, fucking kids)

i'm guessing you do not know what rap actually is, only the commodified version of it.

Therefore, you and shimmerz are ignorant little punks who have no business commenting on any type of music.

And for your information i love jazz, folk, old country, old rock, modern rock, acoustic rock, pop rock. All 'real' music genres, and i find hip hop (REAL hip hop) is an extremely beautiful genre that suffers at the hands of ignorant wannabe-music elitists like shimmer and probably yourself.

by the way, ROFL at how stupid shimmer is.

shimmerz_777

HSC
classical music i havent really had a look through, i dont really mind it though. I did like beethovens toccata, which was the one played for all the transelvania movies. probably cause my teacher taught me it on guitar though.

shimmerz_777

HSC
And if i dont like hip hop that makes me a bad person because?

if no-one can acknowledge that everybody likes differnt styles of music for different reasons then theres no point talking about anything in this thread. ofcourse people arent going to agree with me.i know im not some universal music guru, which everyone should be like because i know everything. all im trying to do is talk about music, and clearly im not allowed to do so because whatever i say some one may not agree with it. for fucks sake just give up on the whole im right and youre wrong idea because its bloody stupid.

Gangels

HSC
shimmerz_777 said:
I will probably be crucified for this, and again, i stress that this is my opinion.
Since the real kick off of rap music i find that rock essentially has been forgotten. i do not like the style of rap, as i am all for the idea that music should be played, not created electronically through computors only. Rap musicians have saturated the music industry, and i really really dislike their music.

The thing that i find really really stupid though is the lyrics to songs like P.I.M.P, or Its getting hot in here so take off all your clothes.

Personally, i thought that PIMPS were disliked and being a pimp was a lifestyle that was shunned by prettymuch every moral and ethical code in society. yet he made his song, and it topped the charts, contrary to legal/religious/moral/ethical beliefs.

as for nelly, well i thought that to get a girl to bed or something, a cheezy pick up line aint going to work on them. however, "its gettin hot in here so take off all your clothes, It is getting so hot i wanna take my clothes off"!?!?!?!?!? Dont you think that that is the most ridiculous song title youve ever heard? am i a complete idiot or is this actually really offensive and degrading for women?

one may even be as bold to claim that rap is fast becoming a new version of pop music, created for commercial reasons. if you disagree, concider fiddy's album and movie title, "get rich or die trying". everything about 50cent seems to be about money, ironically, his name is to.

something even worse i heard on the radio once was some dudes rapping to edgar allen poe's "the raven" i thought that was a bit stupid.

any thoughts?
Man you just hit the nail on the head. Technology is making music nothing but an untalented Money machine. And new rap is full proof of that. I agree with Hip hip hooray though, There is some good rap out there, even jack johnson or Ben Harper can be classed as a rap act, but bands like Arrested Development i love.

Everyone who thinks your opinion is idiotic then they are the idiots. I wonder have they seen that in just about everyone of your posts you stress the fact that is your "opinion". If they cant accept that then fuck em

Happy Crazy Hippie Day:)

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
shimmerz_777 said:

if no-one can acknowledge that everybody likes differnt styles of music for different reasons then theres no point talking about anything in this thread. ofcourse people arent going to agree with me.i know im not some universal music guru, which everyone should be like because i know everything. all im trying to do is talk about music, and clearly im not allowed to do so because whatever i say some one may not agree with it. for fucks sake just give up on the whole im right and youre wrong idea because its bloody stupid.
i didn't say it made you a bad person, but it seems you are trying to belittle the genre with your ignorant opinions...and that, is not on.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
shimmerz_777 said:

God, its annoying hearing this crap from you.

You keep proclaiming individual choices, and then come up with some sweeping generalisation. Then back-track and claim we're the hypocrites.

Seriously, shut the fuck up. All you've illustrated in this thread are kids nowdays are listening to an even narrower band of music with the mentality that everything outside of this is some sort of product from the evil media or some slaphackeys who got lucky.

spiny norman

HSC
shimmerz_777 said:
moral of the story: No-one gives a shit, nothing is gained from youre pointless spellcheck.
I dunno, I was hoping you could at least learn how to spell The Beatles.

shimmerz_777 said:
am i a complete idiot or is this actually really offensive and degrading for women?
Unlike the 1960s/1970s, with The Rolling Stones releasing "Under My Thumb" and The Beatles "Run For Your Life", both sterling examples of feminist anthems.

Mongke

HSC
no, i gree with you shimmer. "its getting so hot so i will take my clothes off" is quite passibly the stupidest and most pathetic excuse to get people to whatch your music video i have ever heard. Rap music is cool tho. this tho, this is just shit. it started of with a group of black americans who turned their poetry into music, The Last Poets. good stuff.

i dont think much of pop or bnb or most hip hop, and its not cos i dont like the style, its cos the stuff you hear on Today FM really isnt worth much more than changing the station. as a genre, doesnt cut it, but there IS some good stuff tho. i like Scribe, The Gorillaz, Bloc Party, some Korn, some Marilyn Manson, and hey, if youre into jaz there is also The Cat Empire. if you look hard enough you can find it. i just wish all the good stuff was played on the radio instead of hid away at HMV!!

shimmerz_777

HSC
You cant expect every person in the world to be as open minded you claim to be, and listen to every different music genre they can find. isnt it too hard to believe that people become impartial to music styles if they simply do not like them. must i have to hear every single song before i can pass a judgment on it? i have a brother who listens to rap, i have to hear some of it too because he plays it on his stereo. its not like i never gave it a chance.

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
yeah and what rap does he listen to? the stuff they play on 96.1??? radio mainstream rap???

and listening to that means you gave rap a chance???

pffft

you gave mainstream rap a chance. Don't knock the ACTUAL genre.

shimmerz_777

HSC
Yes he does play mainstream rap, i did give that a chance but i did not like it. but can i be blamed for not delving into a music style in which everything i have currently heard from it hasnt been to my liking? next time i will be as specific as i can possibly be when i say something, so my statements cannot be taken out of context into things i wasnt reffering to, like the pure rap or the real rap you are talking about.

but If we were talking about movie genres or something else, we wouldnt get fired up if a guy said he doesnt like romance movies, or a girl said she didnt like action movies. why should music be any different?

and youre right i was highlighting how stupid i thought rap lyrics were becoming, which you claimed was belittleing it. im not going to argue that for arguments sake.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
but can i be blamed for not delving into a music style in which everything i have currently heard from it hasnt been to my liking?
That's just silly.

"I have seen cows"
"I have only seen red cows"
"Therefore all cows are red"

spiny norman

HSC
shimmerz_777 said:
but If we were talking about movie genres or something else, we wouldnt get fired up if a guy said he doesnt like romance movies, or a girl said she didnt like action movies.
I would. You're throwing out the baby with the bathwater, as the saying goes.

iwannarock

HSC
shimmerz, for someone that is obviously against "pop" music, i find it rather ironic that the places you searched for or observed to see the state of rock music was infact pop music providers. radio tv etc etc. simple plan and good charlotte are on the radio wah wah wah.......there must be no good rock bands then wah wah wah.

are you an idiot? just because its not on the radio or tv doesn't mean there aren't bands out there playing stinky old bars and tiny basement rooms. its people like you who get music force fed from the radio that should actually go see these bands.

rock n roll bands in the 70's vein do exist you just need to look harder to find them.

and to the other posters enough of the malmsteen bashing or any technically proficient musician. i don't get it, there are world class pianists that have superb techincal skill. they ofcourse play fast as well as slow and such because they're technically proficient at their instrument. i've never heard somebody say about a world class pianist "oh what a wanker he/she is playing so fast, what fast soulless runs". why the fuck do people all of a sudden do this to guitar players?

Gangels

HSC
spiny norman said:
I would. You're throwing out the baby with the bathwater, as the saying goes.
I find it quite hilarious that you are bagging him out when you have a picture of Prince in his underwear for an avatar. I like Prince but seriously. Get a job.

I once again notice that everyone is taking this to heart. If the guy doesnt like hip hop then he doesnt like hip hop. Is he bagging it out? NO, he is expressing an opinion. Have some respect or i will have to tread on you:)

Some_Guy

HSC
Gangels said:
I find it quite hilarious that you are bagging him out when you have a picture of Prince in his underwear for an avatar. I like Prince but seriously. Get a job.

I once again notice that everyone is taking this to heart. If the guy doesnt like hip hop then he doesnt like hip hop. Is he bagging it out? NO, he is expressing an opinion. Have some respect or i will have to tread on you:)

your absolutely right, norman get an avatar of prince without his underwear (like on the lovesexy cover :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)