• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Back to the 70's for good rock? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
Okay, looking at it from that perspective, Shimmer didn't have that great of an argument at all.

Sorry AsyLum, from the sections in this thread which I read, I thought you were completely in love with new poppy music. But obviously, it seems that Shimmer is totally against it - and against new rock i think.

Shimmer, just tell me, do you compleletly dislike all new music. And do you think a song is complex only if YOU think it is complex. Complexity comes in many ways, something that appears simple can be far from it. And a song does not have to be complex to be enjoyed, some of the best songs are simple. As a matter of fact, a lot of new pop songs are so complex, with their electronic beat, that they get annoying after a few listens.

shimmerz_777

HSC
i finally get why everyone was criticising me over the original comment i made "not particularly the beatles" what i meant was listening to 70's rock, but not the band the beatles, i wasnt calling them crap, i was saying i wasnt listening to them much.

Ellie_Belly

HSC
gracie007 said:
shimmerz_777: hmm, i dont think simple plan and gc would even b classified as rock anyway, how do they come into it?
also, im disturbed by the fact that u say "but not particularly the beetles."
not only did u spell it wrong, but shit, NOT particularly the beatles? sorry to say but most 70s rock that u claim to enjoy was all influenced by the beatles. maybe u should look into them more.

ellie belly: "Unless you listen to 101.7 or 104.9" serious? listen to 104.9 for all of next week and u wont be saying that anymore.
Why? What do you mean, hey?

shimmerz_777

HSC
YBK said:
Okay, looking at it from that perspective, Shimmer didn't have that great of an argument at all.

Shimmer, just tell me, do you compleletly dislike all new music. And do you think a song is complex only if YOU think it is complex. Complexity comes in many ways, something that appears simple can be far from it. And a song does not have to be complex to be enjoyed, some of the best songs are simple. As a matter of fact, a lot of new pop songs are so complex, with their electronic beat, that they get annoying after a few listens.

not all new music, just a great deal of it. i wouldnt be against it if i enjoyed the music that was being produced. the dani california song by RHCP ive only heard twice, not in full though. it seems alright, i like the bit b4 the chorus the most in that song.

part of my hatred for bands like simple plan and them came after i saw the docco on the ramones at the vallhala theater. i just compared what punk lyrics were like then, and what 'punk' (now concidered emo) lyrics are now. and i came to the conclusion that punk bands arent really punkish anymore, which i didnt like.

The whole complexity argument was blown out of proportion.
as i tried to say, but i think i didnt do it very well, there are many songs which arent complex that i like, like the CCR band i was on about. i got protective over the whole issue because i was getting bagged for it and i overexaggerated it painting a picture that, as asylum said, if it isnt complex, its shit.

well i guess ill think a song is complex if i think it is, if someone else though a song was complex and i didnt well i guess you have youre answer there.

songs can be complex in many ways i agree, but i really really like songs which come from bands playing musical instruments, not computers. its something which i have a hard time explaining why, so dont ask. and for the songs with arent complex which i like, i find i get tired of them faster than others.
and yes, you can overlabor complexity until it just gets confusing.

shimmerz_777

HSC
AsyLum said:
John Cage.

(all good but doesn't fucking mean its a justified position, if it were, then Hitler shouldn't be judged as a tyrant) and ultimately we've got that his conception of 'music' seems to be relegated to a piss-poor effort of commercial radio and stereotypes.

. Furthermore, I dont think anyone has the right to tell people what to listen to,
based on a limited scope of what 'music' is. Saying rock is dead, and then quoting that Good Charlotte, Simple Plan is the embodiement of this is just fucking stupid don't you think ?

"oh noes, stop psychoanalysing my opinion, because I POSTED IT ON A PUBLIC FORUM, and I don't understand what you're talking about so please stop :(" I've been made into this "music nazi" FFS. Go read what I wrote and then come back and dispute.
that first bit, If i can justify my opinion myself doesnt mean you have to. if you think its flawed from all the reasons you put, then you can believe that, i just didnt appriciate the idea that you were claiming i dont have the right to think that, because it isnt justified in your eyes.

my limited scope of music i chose to use in this forum was done on purpose, as there is no good in trying to start a conversation with people by taking examples of things which they may not relate too. by trying to be genral in my comments i was trying to save time and whatnot because i didnt think it would be so important to people.

my earlier quotes against you were made cause i was getting pissed off with your ongoing attacks against my argument, and when i did a couple of posts trying to resolve it, you kept asking questions. i got tired of answering them and blew my cool. plus i thought it was a bit ridiculus in regards to the depth you would go to say that my argument isnt justified, hence the pscyoanalitical bit.

ive been made into a music nazi too, first by you. isnt very nice, is it?

i wanna end all arguments of complexity, cause im really tired of it.

shimmerz_777

HSC
robbie1 said:
well, 50 Cent cant control wat kids do
also, what pisses me off is that in my experience, 50 Cent haters hate him because of candy shop and P.I.M.P which leads me to believe that people who hate him only hear his radio singles and judge him based on that handful of songs
i dont think we can be blamed for not reasearching an artist if our initial judgements are made from songs like those two. i mean, if we dont like what we hear, it would seem very reasonable to not investagate any furthur. yes this may mean we might miss out on some good songs of his but i dont think we should be called unreasonable for doing so.

the other reason why i hate him is his glorification of gangster life, done through his videogame and movie. he seems to make himself heroic in heaps of ways, for doing things i dont think are very morally correct. plus i heard he used to sell drugs, which is a big no no.

and i hate the way people get out of hand when it comes to imitating those types of rappers, i.e snoop dog, eminem, ja rule. id rather be a bit more individualistic than that. all that does is again make me dislike him even more. this may not be done on reasonable grounds but i cant help it if it is the truth.

YBK

HSC
shimmerz_777 said:
not all new music, just a great deal of it. i wouldnt be against it if i enjoyed the music that was being produced. the dani california song by RHCP ive only heard twice, not in full though. it seems alright, i like the bit b4 the chorus the most in that song.

part of my hatred for bands like simple plan and them came after i saw the docco on the ramones at the vallhala theater. i just compared what punk lyrics were like then, and what 'punk' (now concidered emo) lyrics are now. and i came to the conclusion that punk bands arent really punkish anymore, which i didnt like.

The whole complexity argument was blown out of proportion.
as i tried to say, but i think i didnt do it very well, there are many songs which arent complex that i like, like the CCR band i was on about. i got protective over the whole issue because i was getting bagged for it and i overexaggerated it painting a picture that, as asylum said, if it isnt complex, its shit.

well i guess ill think a song is complex if i think it is, if someone else though a song was complex and i didnt well i guess you have youre answer there.

songs can be complex in many ways i agree, but i really really like songs which come from bands playing musical instruments, not computers. its something which i have a hard time explaining why, so dont ask. and for the songs with arent complex which i like, i find i get tired of them faster than others.
and yes, you can overlabor complexity until it just gets confusing.
Yeah, I think it was just a misunderstanding. I know what you mean now :)

YBK

HSC
shimmerz_777 said:
the other reason why i hate him is his glorification of gangster life, done through his videogame and movie. he seems to make himself heroic in heaps of ways, for doing things i dont think are very morally correct. plus i heard he used to sell drugs, which is a big no no.

and i hate the way people get out of hand when it comes to imitating those types of rappers, i.e snoop dog, eminem, ja rule. id rather be a bit more individualistic than that. all that does is again make me dislike him even more. this may not be done on reasonable grounds but i cant help it if it is the truth.

I agree. Especially with the statement about how people imitate rappers, I actually find it funny sometimes :D

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
shimmerz_777 said:
i dont think we can be blamed for not reasearching an artist if our initial judgements are made from songs like those two. i mean, if we dont like what we hear, it would seem very reasonable to not investagate any furthur. yes this may mean we might miss out on some good songs of his but i dont think we should be called unreasonable for doing so.
See, no theres nothing wrong with it. Again, IF YOU PROCLAIM THAT THE MAJORITY OF ROCK IS SHIT, when you haven't made the effort to find other shit, then obviously the onus is on you.

Cos of course, bands in the 60s and 70s were the fucking images of Arch-angels and choirboys :rolleyes:

Again you're looking at what is simply a MAINSTREAM view of rap, so stop stereotyping it like its the collective at fault

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
shimmerz_777 said:
that first bit, If i can justify my opinion myself doesnt mean you have to. if you think its flawed from all the reasons you put, then you can believe that, i just didnt appriciate the idea that you were claiming i dont have the right to think that, because it isnt justified in your eyes.
You have no idea what I'm talking about do you?

my limited scope of music i chose to use in this forum was done on purpose, as there is no good in trying to start a conversation with people by taking examples of things which they may not relate too. by trying to be genral in my comments i was trying to save time and whatnot because i didnt think it would be so important to people.
Ignorance is not a form of defence.

my earlier quotes against you were made cause i was getting pissed off with your ongoing attacks against my argument, and when i did a couple of posts trying to resolve it, you kept asking questions. i got tired of answering them and blew my cool. plus i thought it was a bit ridiculus in regards to the depth you would go to say that my argument isnt justified, hence the pscyoanalitical bit.
Wah, wah, you analysed my opinion :bomb:

ive been made into a music nazi too, first by you. isnt very nice, is it?
No the term was Music Elitist

i wanna end all arguments of complexity, cause im really tired of it.
Yeah and I'm sure the Ramones would hate you for going on about how complex music rules

vanush

kdslkf
HSC
People are being too rational if they can't see mainstream rap as shit. The music videos, the lyrics, everything; its almost a parody of itself. They aren't songs. You can compare mainstream rap with novelty songs (crazy frog etc) - because they aren't (and arent meant) to be taken seriously.

I tried listening to some late 80s/early 90s old school rap. jesus. JESUS. thank god for smells like teen spirit.

Last edited:

Some_Guy

HSC
vanush said:
People are being too rational if they can't see mainstream rap as shit. The music videos, the lyrics, everything; its almost a parody of itself. They aren't songs. You can compare mainstream rap with novelty songs (crazy frog etc) - because they aren't (and arent meant) to be taken seriously.

I tried listening to some late 80s/early 90s old school rap. jesus. JESUS. thank god for smells like teen spirit.
name this crappy old school rap

vanush

kdslkf
HSC
ANything by KRS-One

eg. http://youtube.com/watch?v=7u2ZclzSgiU

hey, the message might be good but fuck the song is no good
the beat is like.. reason or FL newb can make that

and to clarify, i dont worship smells like teen spirit, nor do i worship kurt cobain. infact i think kurt was a deluded stoner who died because he overrated the intelligence of his audience. smells like teen spirit (& nevermind) is an important part of contemporary music history for being grunge and eventually alt. rock to the fore.

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Except FL or Reason wasn't invented till post-1993 at least...idiot.

vanush

kdslkf
HSC
AsyLum said:
Except FL or Reason wasn't invented till post-1993 at least...idiot.
The simplicity of the beat is such, that it could be replicated by a FL or reason newb...fucking pseduo-intellectual shitkicker.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
vanush said:

Yeah but look at that paragraph and replace "mainstream rap" with "all current mainstream pop music" and it's just as true; rap isn't really much worse than the rest of it. (I'm clearly referring to current MAINSTREAM pop music, like the stuff on VideoHits, etc. not all music from today, so don't start!).

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Captain Gh3y said:
Yeah but look at that paragraph and replace "mainstream rap" with "all current mainstream pop music" and it's just as true; rap isn't really much worse than the rest of it. (I'm clearly referring to current MAINSTREAM pop music, like the stuff on VideoHits, etc. not all music from today, so don't start!).
Haha don't worry theres no ambiguity with your responses :p

shimmerz_777

HSC
AsyLum said:
You have no idea what I'm talking about do you?

Ignorance is not a form of defence.

Wah, wah, you analysed my opinion :bomb:

No the term was Music Elitist

Yeah and I'm sure the Ramones would hate you for going on about how complex music rules

1. ok then, what was your whole argument against me, in a shortened version instead of the 25 posts which i found hard to follow by the end of it.

2. no i wasnt defending my quotes, saying whether they were right or wrong. i was just describing why i put them there. i agree they should have been more specific.

3. your point being?

4. pot-ate-o, pot-tat-o, your just arguing for arguments sake.

5. ive tried to clarify this point for so fucking long now but you are so ignorant that you refuse to acknowledge it. ill put it in black and white now.

I DO LISTEN TO MUSIC WHICH IS NOT COMPLEX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

is it that hard to come to terms with? as ive said, the whole matter was blown out of proportion.

and if you can quote me saying that all contemporary rock music is shit then i will apologise to you, because im fairly sure you assumed it. and if you do find a quote, include all of it so im sure its not taken out of context.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
rofl.

Im not going to repeat myself, its all there, go read it.

Calling you a musical elitist isn't calling you names, when its correct isnt it ? Even to your admission...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)