Bad Lecturers (1 Viewer)

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
dion7789 said:
yeah i learnt that from philosophy...which i will continue with coz its kinda fun compared to science...and yes some of the stuff ur like "i need to know this why?" but what can u do?
Then try some STS subjects. They make PHIL subjects look like they're content filled, structured and totally practical.

dion7789

Dodgy Pen Dealer
HSC
Raiks said:
Then try some STS subjects. They make PHIL subjects look like they're content filled, structured and totally practical.
yeah considering starting that next year...seems interesting enough and may help with the science part of my degree

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
For the love of god, DON'T DO IT.

Just ask anyone in a science degree who has done an STS subject for that reason. They'll all warn you.

HSC
Terra_Niux said:
ECTE182: Internet Technology 1
Christian Ritz: Average This guy is pretty good, not the best but not the worst, his exams suck though.

David Stirling: Bad Does this bloke know what a microphone is? Seriously, I don't think I ever heard him speak a proper sentence without mumbling. He can be helpful one on one though.
i didn't do this ecte subject but i've had those lecturers though. christian's better than average, but yeah i agree with the rest. i stopped going to davids lectures after well not very long, because his lectures would come directly from the slides, and he would mumble all the time, no matter if the whole class was talking loudly or what not.

dion7789

Dodgy Pen Dealer
HSC
Josie said:
For the love of god, DON'T DO IT.

Just ask anyone in a science degree who has done an STS subject for that reason. They'll all warn you.
is it realy that bad is it? in which case it may be an idea to consider another major

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Yeah, seriously, just do a STS subject as an elective and then make your mind up... you might like it or you might want to stab yourself in the eye, cut your ears off and slit your wrists...

cjwrighty

Look out UOW here I come!
HSC
I did a STS subject last semester, and it helped because its very laid back and doesnt have a final exam, which helped a lot during exam time. It was only had 2 essays and 3 point form things. Which didnt take a very long time.

golo2008

HSC
N/A
MuffinMan said:
lecturer: tianbing xia
subject: itcs213
reason: lectures have nothing to do with the course :(
More additions on BAD LECTURERS list:

Philip Ogunboona: One of the worst lecturer's I have ever come across at uni. I took Engineering Programming with him. Knows nothing about programming, I have no idea why uni employs these kind of guys. Always used to mumble something in the class (he took few lectures only - this was consolation - other people were much better than him). Never finished contents of lecture on time. His accent also have problems. Some of the stuff he taught had nothing to do with the course. Always used to rave about things nothing to do with the subject matter. What a waste of time and money! Guys if you see him taking any subject just run miles away from him.

Peter Vial: Not too bad. Knows stuff. His lectures usually have lots of slides though. Sometimes very difficult to comprehend.

There are group of Asian lecturer's in the faculty. Most of them are useless. They can't even speak a single sentence of English correctly. Take proper caution before going to their lectures. On contrary, I must admit, I have heard lecturers like Willy Susilio is very good.

Kebabci Oglu

Professional member
HSC
Ye i had Willy Susilio. He is a excellent lecturer for programming. He would give examples all the time, then ask if we understood and since no one would reply he would show us again to make sure we get it. He also had great humour so the lecture wasnt all boring, he had great jokes about fried rice. Oh ye he had good English.

T-mac01

HSC
N/A
dawso said:
considering the fact that lecturers take more ythan one subject.....i beleive its best to name names, even if it opens myself up for potential disaster.....

last session i had this lame guy for maths, and now have had him again a few times this session, ken stevenson, the dude has np passion and makes lame jokes, talks in monotone, just overly bad

also, rodney vickers ive had a few times and although he tries hard, his lectures are always boring and not structured, he releases his notes on the net and they make absolutely no sense, also quite lame
I don't really mind lecturers with no passion coz it doesn't affect me as long as I'm passionate about it but what really pisses me off is when their lessons are unstructured, unorgnised loads of facts. I hate those lecturers that keeps on asking questions and then say "come on I want to hear some ideas" I mean I appreciate their efforts in motivating people's creativity but those kind of exercises is really ineffective when it comes to a one or two hour lecture per week.

goldsamba

HSC
N/A
golo2008 said:
More additions on BAD LECTURERS list:

Philip Ogunboona: One of the worst lecturer's I have ever come across at uni. I took Engineering Programming with him. Knows nothing about programming, I have no idea why uni employs these kind of guys. Always used to mumble something in the class (he took few lectures only - this was consolation - other people were much better than him). Never finished contents of lecture on time. His accent also have problems. Some of the stuff he taught had nothing to do with the course. Always used to rave about things nothing to do with the subject matter. What a waste of time and money! Guys if you see him taking any subject just run miles away from him.

There are group of Asian lecturer's in the faculty. Most of them are useless. They can't even speak a single sentence of English correctly. Take proper caution before going to their lectures. On contrary, I must admit, I have heard lecturers like Willy Susilio is very good.
I had Philip Ogunbona for a subject Coding for Secure Communication. He was pathetic as a lecturer LOL!. I fully agree that he mumbles something during the lectures which nobody understands. I doubt he knows anything in computer science. If you ask him anything in class- will discourage you till death man (you guessed right ------ so that you won't ask anything in future LOL!). I understand he is head of SITACS. You can imagine if head is such a shitty lecturer, others are ..................:burn:

George Zhou Very bad lecturer. This guy is a joke. Knows nothing, bad pronounciation etc etc (nothing kidding complete package man!). But makes exams easy. He is friendly too.

Willy Susilio and Jo Abrates Awesome lecturers. They are complete lecturers. Very good in first year subjects. They care a lot about students. They explain everything in steps.

Some tutors are great in SITACS!

HSC
Scanorama said:
CSCI114/124 tutors were great.
Maybe when you did it (well at least with 114)....

In 114 I asked one of the tutors (I think it was Cindy?) how the rand() function works (it was in that weeks lab), and she told me to look it up on google....

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
chinesefireball said:
Maybe when you did it (well at least with 114)....

In 114 I asked one of the tutors (I think it was Cindy?) how the rand() function works (it was in that weeks lab), and she told me to look it up on google....
Why *didn't* you look it up on google to start with? :(

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
poloktim said:
It's true. Computer Scientists anticipated bad teachers so they made the greatest most extensive manuals known to man which have propagated throughout the internet.

HSC
poloktim said:
Because lab tutors get paid to help students. I had already had tried to help myself by looking through the lab notes and lecturenotes. If I am meant to look up everything on google then what are the point of the tutors? Why should I go to labs (or even bother going to uni) if I'm not going to get help.

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
Well you should go to management tutorials. The tutors dont know anything and they cant even step up a projector.

Scanorama

HSC
chinesefireball said:
Because lab tutors get paid to help students. I had already had tried to help myself by looking through the lab notes and lecturenotes. If I am meant to look up everything on google then what are the point of the tutors? Why should I go to labs (or even bother going to uni) if I'm not going to get help.
I had Cindy when I did 114 too back in 2005. She and another Korean guy were very helpful, helped me got through the assignment as well as lab tasks.

In CSCI124 Spring 2005 I had Diana and Jessica, they were exemplary.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)