bad school good ranks VS good school bad ranks (1 Viewer)

anulik

HSC
Hi guys and girls,
I am really curious, Say the school is ranked pretty low (like 600, but considering that the school is new, and had only last year graduates), and ranks are really high and consistent, first in almost every subject, and marks are around 90s and above....
In terms of scaling, ATAR, mark moderating, etc...Is it better to go to the High ranked school , where obviously the competition is high, and ranks would be low, but marks are Ok, around 90s.?
And how this works? What are your ideas?

Mu5hi

Banned
HSC
well also depends on your marks? Because ranking is from last years year 12. Your cohort could be alot stronger than there's.

Its a hard choice, also depends how high is the ranking of "high ranking" school

anulik

HSC
Ok, well..
sorry, what is exactly cohort, how it works?

0bs3n3

HSC
Ok, well..
sorry, what is exactly cohort, how it works?
Cohort is the body of students in your year. Your year (or cohort) might be stronger than last years, I think that's what he was getting at.

So anyway, I was reading the "All About Your ATAR" thing and it reckons your school rank doesn't matter?

duckcowhybrid

HSC
It's hard to say, because in good schools bad ranks still correspond to marks of around 90s.

0bs3n3

HSC
At my school it is messed up because there is a lot of dropkicks yet in the SC we had the highest amount of Band 6's ever at our school. I can only imagine what the other years must have been like. We are ranked 250, though.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Your school has no effect on your ATAR. It's your rank, and your cohort's ranks - along with the HSC results of your school.

Mu5hi

Banned
HSC
At my school it is messed up because there is a lot of dropkicks yet in the SC we had the highest amount of Band 6's ever at our school. I can only imagine what the other years must have been like. We are ranked 250, though.
SC =/= HSC

SC is just luck on a particular day. Also your teacher might have covered an essay which got tested or something like that.

HSC
ATAR is mostly judged upon your internal ranks, i don't think ranking of school will have that much of an effect.

h3ll h0und

HSC
SC =/= HSC

SC is just luck on a particular day
. Also your teacher might have covered an essay which got tested or something like that.
not to mention a whole lot of bsing...esp for geo and history :devil:

turntaker

HSC
Hi guys and girls,
I am really curious, Say the school is ranked pretty low (like 600, but considering that the school is new, and had only last year graduates), and ranks are really high and consistent, first in almost every subject, and marks are around 90s and above....
In terms of scaling, ATAR, mark moderating, etc...Is it better to go to the High ranked school , where obviously the competition is high, and ranks would be low, but marks are Ok, around 90s.?
And how this works? What are your ideas?
As long as you do well it shouldn't matter.

Hope my reply isn't too late

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)