Bad Teachers? (1 Viewer)

aceer

HSC
enoilgam, you perfectly described the students that my teacher tries to help, they are just unmotivated and do not care..
I spoke to the head of curriculum today and he said that they are trying to reduce the spread of marks.

Should have chosen advanced

Lina3

HSC
I am lucky to get pretty good teachers overall. My Advanced English teacher actually 'had a chat' with people who were in the bottom 20 for the course...she must have been very persuasive because all of them ended up dropping to standard. There were 46 people in the course at the beginning of year 11...now there are about 30 spread over 2 classes. Not to be mean, but for those of us who are left it's good to have a small class.

Just another question...did anyone have a teacher who just knew too much?? It sounds stupid but my Music teacher always goes off track, talking about stuff that even he admits is 'first and second year uni' and is not part of the syllabus, but he still teaches it -_- it is really getting on my nerves. He just springs all these hard concepts at us, that even I (who had been doing music since 5) have trouble grasping. Sometimes I just switch off, as does everyone else. The worst part is, that he has been teaching the Music 2 course for 13 years and every year, most of the people end up dropping and 'wonders why'...is there anything I can do?? :(

Last edited:

Aysce

HSC
I am lucky to get pretty good teachers overall. My Advanced English teacher actually 'had a chat' with people who were in the bottom 20 for the course...she must have been very persuasive because all of them ended up dropping to standard. There were 53 people in the course at the beginning of year 11...now there are about 30 spread over 2 classes. Not to be mean, but for those of us who are left it's good to have a small class.

Just another question...did anyone have a teacher who just knew too much?? It sounds stupid but my Music teacher always goes off track, talking about stuff that even he admits is 'first and second year uni' and is not part of the syllabus, but he still teaches it -_- it is really getting on my nerves. He just springs all these hard concepts at us, that even I (who had been doing music since 5) have trouble grasping. Sometimes I just switch off, as does everyone else. The worst part is, that he has been teaching the Music 2 course for 13 years and every year, most of the people end up dropping and 'wonders why'...is there anything I can do?? :(
I had a teacher who thought he knew a lot but in the end he just blabbered about random concepts that weren't in the syllabus (poorly) as you said and he failed to actually teach the content adequately. Terrible teacher, it's from this that I actually became independent and self-taught - not that that is a bad thing, moreso good. I completely understand where you're coming from. it's really frustrating not being able to have a teacher that can help you with the course. What you can do is just self learn from a wide variety of resources and post here on BOS, although i'm not sure if the music forums are even active.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Anyone else have terrible teachers who would rather waste their time helping students who will do miserably in the hsc rather than helping the better students get top end marks?

My English teacher ignores myself and a few other students so she can spend all her time with the bottom kids who don't even listen to her.
Yeah, how dare she try and focus on the ones that actually need the attention to pass the subject.

elissajean

HSC
Uni Grad
If students are likely to fail (as in your description) surely they are the ones who need the most help. Considering the number of students teachers have to help (almost all our schools are understaffed, in my opinion) you can understand their giving the most attention to the ones who most obviously need the help. Besides, by helping them, she is helping you because their marks can affect yours. I recommend you tell the teacher you feel you need more help (if this is the case), but otherwise I would take matters into your own hands and start a study group or get tutoring help or something. EVERY student deserves to be given the help they need to succeed. Just remember that.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
As a teacher I believe that I am failing in my duty if I don't give equal attention to all students and that that attention should be focused on their own personal area/s of need so the very top students might be pushed to do more practice essays while the ones at the bottom might have me explaining stuff to them again and again in class which appears that I am giving them more help when the fact is that they can't move to the next level on their own while the top students need to be encouraged and pushed to be proactive in doing more about developing their skills.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)