Ban P-Platers from driving on Friday and Saturday nights? (1 Viewer)

kfnmpah

HSC
Curfew proposed for NSW P-platers
By NSW political reporter Mark Tobin
Updated October 19, 2011 13:57:36

The New South Wales auditor-general has proposed a curfew for P-plate drivers to help reduce deaths on the state's roads.

Peter Achterstraat has prepared a report on improving road safety for young drivers.

The number of fatal crashes involving young drivers has halved in the past decade, but they are still more likely to be involved in serious crashes than older drivers.

Young drivers are involved in one in four fatal crashes, even though they make up only 16 per cent of licensed drivers.

Mr Achterstraat has made a number of recommendations, including the introduction of a curfew for provisional 1 (P1) drivers on Friday and Saturday nights.

"There's a small minority of rev heads and hoon boys who seem to think they are the only people on the road," Mr Achterstraat said.

"Thirty per cent of fatal crashes of young people occur on Friday and Saturday nights."

The auditor-general has also suggested psychological testing for young drivers who repeatedly flout the road rules.

"You wouldn't let a person with a bad attitude use a chainsaw, so we can't let a person with a bad attitude drive a car," he said.

"You do a practical test to see if you have the skills to drive a car. You should do an attitude test to see if you have the maturity."

Mr Achterstraat's report includes a graph showing a massive jump in the number of recorded crashes when drivers progress from their learner to P1 licences.

Figures also appear to show inconsistency in p-plate testing, with a higher pass rate at country motor registries than city ones.

Narooma Motor Registry, on the state's south coast, had the highest pass rate at 91 per cent, while the Maroubra Junction office in Sydney's east passed 43 per cent of test subjects.

It is not all plain sailing in the country though, with 51 per cent passing at the Lake Cargelligo registry in the state's west.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-10-19/curfew-proposed-for-nsw-p-platers/3579454

Unlikely.
Does anyone think this is justified/fair?

Elliee

Crazy Kid
HSC
That is a complete joke.. they could not possibly let that go through. Just because there are a few retarded "hoons" that drive irresponsibly shouldn't ruin it for the rest of us! I highly doubt this would every go through, and if it did, the retaliation from the public, (both parents and students) would drive it back to normal restrictions.

cpwincess19

HSC
If this happened , seriously my social life would be cut down to the bare minimum which is good for times like these (HSC) but wtf am I gonna do in the long holidays ... it's like not having freedom to do anything . Isn't a car with a safe driver wiser than using public transport and getting raped ?
I don't think it's fair .
Launch more public campaigns and posters etc advertise the impacts / possible factors that could occur due to wreckless driving ...
They're already doing that , and as the article above read "The number of fatal crashes involving young drivers has halved in the past decade" - clearly they're working , so continue doing it and see the long term effects .
Even if they do end up banning p platers from driving on fridays and saturdays , people will still do it - and many will probably just take their p plates off ... which is stupid but people will probably do it .
I say good luck to the idiots trying to implement this !

Politic

HSC
N/A
if it did, the retaliation from the public, (both parents and students) would drive it back to normal restrictions.
with a parliament with a majority like nsw, id doubt it.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Should be interesting with the Riders.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
P platers have a curfew?

This is news to me.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
If this happened , seriously my social life would be cut down to the bare minimum which is good for times like these (HSC) but wtf am I gonna do in the long holidays ... it's like not having freedom to do anything . Isn't a car with a safe driver wiser than using public transport and getting raped ?
I don't think it's fair .
Launch more public campaigns and posters etc advertise the impacts / possible factors that could occur due to wreckless driving ...
They're already doing that , and as the article above read "The number of fatal crashes involving young drivers has halved in the past decade" - clearly they're working , so continue doing it and see the long term effects .
Even if they do end up banning p platers from driving on fridays and saturdays , people will still do it - and many will probably just take their p plates off ... which is stupid but people will probably do it .
I say good luck to the idiots trying to implement this !
hahahhahahahahhaha shit good luck with your HSC
P platers have a curfew?

This is news to me.
yeah red platers can't have more than 1 passenger after 11pm

one of the most retarded laws I've ever heard of, especially considering the ones that are adhering to this rule aren't going to be the ones speeding

boris

Banned
HSC
1 passenger after 11pm

This is probably going to become law

It's not unprecedented for completely unproven p plate legislation to be passed. You can thank fuckwits for ruining it for everyone.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Oh ok good thing i cant take passengers.

Its for drivers (shrugs)

minzoir

HSC
"Thirty per cent of fatal crashes of young people occur on Friday and Saturday nights."
Friday + Saturday = 2/7 nights in a week.
2/7 = 0.29
= 29%

dionb2014

HSC
I'm going to say the average p plate driver is between the ages of 18 and 25. If they are not driving on Friday and Saturday nights then when are they driving?

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
I'm going to say the average p plate driver is between the ages of 18 and 25. If they are not driving on Friday and Saturday nights then when are they driving?
5 of the other days?

What is this ill informed idea that all P platers drive on weekends only?

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Article claims that 30% of deaths occur on a fri and sat. Fri/Sat is pretty much 30% of the week.

boris

Banned
HSC
Lol
Nsw auditor general or whatever stated that 30% of p plate crashes occur on fri or sat

Fri and sat are approx 30% of the week

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)