BComm at which unis?? (1 Viewer)

Monstar

HSC
Hey i'm in yr 12 and i've definately made up my mind that im going to do a BComm. Now i need to start shifting through the bs people throw at me.

BComm at Macq- This looks really attractive, its close to where i live and the campus looks pretty mad, it also has a relatively easier UAI compared to other unis (85?). IM just wondering, people tell me Macq is one of the best Unis for business and commerce and stuff and i was just wondering is there any substance to this statement?

BComm at USYD/NSW- Both have good reputation and prestigous name.. but the UAI is crazy (93) and i feel it is really difficult for me to achieve that considering the position im in. Is it much better than Bcomm at Macq?

thanks. for your inputs.

HSC
N/A
My friend does B.Commerce (accounting) at Macquarie and I'm doing Arts/Commerce at Sydney. I think they are both solid degrees. My friend reckons that Macquarie's the best for commerce too....not sure why. She's doing an accounting cadetship with PriceWaterhouseCoopers and was told by many people that Macquarie is the best for accounting and all that. It depends on what you want to major in. Are you considering doing a CA or CPA (if you're interested in accounting)?
Don't be so hard on yourself with the UAI thing, I never thought I'd get near 90 either. Besides, the difference between 85 and 93 isnt THAT great, well maybe it is a bit. Just give it a shot, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Monstar

HSC
im actually gonna do a major in finance and another major in business law (can you do that?)

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Monstar said:
im actually gonna do a major in finance and another major in business law (can you do that?)
I'm pretty sure you can, although it will be hard work and take up alot of time. If you're determined to do them, then go for it.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
do you mean the areas of finance and bus law is hard work (and time consuming) or the fact that completing two majors within B Comm is, Riviet?

ishq

brown?
HSC
What about UTS? B. Bus is a pretty good degree too :)

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Since Monstar is a little concerned abotu UAI cut offs, the B Bus cut off was around the 90 mark, higher than MQ's B Comm.

But even so, just don't under estimate yourself!

SSaint

shoconomics
HSC
I agree, just apply yourself over the year and you will be able to choose which uni to go to - getting in the early 90s is not too difficult. UNSW, USyd, UTS, MQ all have good business/commerce degrees, but if you want my opinion - you would be looking at UNSW or Sydney for finance.

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
dont think mac is that good in finance compared to new south / sydney

haha.. this is coming from someone who studies finance at mq =P

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Sarah168 said:
do you mean the areas of finance and bus law is hard work (and time consuming) or the fact that completing two majors within B Comm is, Riviet?
I was alluding to both :p I have a cousin who's taking that exact path and she said it basically constitutes most of her life.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Monstar said:
Hey i'm in yr 12 and i've definately made up my mind that im going to do a BComm. Now i need to start shifting through the bs people throw at me.

BComm at Macq- This looks really attractive, its close to where i live and the campus looks pretty mad, it also has a relatively easier UAI compared to other unis (85?). IM just wondering, people tell me Macq is one of the best Unis for business and commerce and stuff and i was just wondering is there any substance to this statement?

BComm at USYD/NSW- Both have good reputation and prestigous name.. but the UAI is crazy (93) and i feel it is really difficult for me to achieve that considering the position im in. Is it much better than Bcomm at Macq?

thanks. for your inputs.
What do you mean what position your in? If i believe i can get a uai of 93 considering the subjects i do, you can too ! of course, saying something is different from actually doing it, but i will apply myself throughout the year. From people that i know, they tell me that the content of the course is the same at all unis, but it's just the recognition and experience you get from it that's different. I did however hear that actuarial studies is the best at maq and double major at unsw. Anyways, I'm planning to major in marketing at unsw

H

housemouse

hopeles5ly said:
What do you mean what position your in? If i believe i can get a uai of 93 considering the subjects i do, you can too ! of course, saying something is different from actually doing it, but i will apply myself throughout the year. From people that i know, they tell me that the content of the course is the same at all unis, but it's just the recognition and experience you get from it that's different. I did however hear that actuarial studies is the best at maq and double major at unsw. Anyways, I'm planning to major in marketing at unsw
If only it were that simple. That must mean I should be getting a UAI well over 93.

volition

arr.
HSC
housemouse said:
If only it were that simple. That must mean I should be getting a UAI well over 93.
Sure, but at least preference them the 'right' way, that's the whole point of the 9 UAC preferences. I have friends who stupidly didn't put preferences in because they thought they wouldn't make it in, and it turned out that their UAI was actually good enough to get in, so there you go.

H

housemouse

I meant actually getting the UAI.
See you can have a lot of motivation and determination to get into a course and you work your ass off for the whole year, the truth is some people will never be able to get there.

And i agree with that, if you want to get into a certain course, do put it in your preferences even it looks impossible.

Also with this BComm, after the three years, do you get a job already or something?

SSaint

shoconomics
HSC
Jennyness said:
OK in my opinion:

For Finance: UNSW

For Accounting: UNSW/UTS

For Economics: USyd/UNSW

For Actuarial: Macquarie/UNSW

For Marketing: UNSW/USyd/UTS

For Management: UNSW

For International Business: UNSW/UTS

For industry links: UNSW/UTS (particularly the B.Accounting at UTS)

For graduate school: AGSM (MGSM is pretty crappy)
LOOL! narrow-minded bitch, lets guess which uni you go to, perhaps unsw? why didnt you just post:
Jennyness said:
go to unsw
wouldve saved you typing all that out.

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I heard Mac's commerce degree will teach the best stuff, but when it comes to getting a job, I've heard graduate surveys have found UNSW Commerce has a much higher regard in big firms/companies.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
with commerce no employers really care unless you got PCs dotted all over your academic record

Raginsheep

HSC
:: ck :: said:
haha.. this is coming from someone who studies finance at mq =P
lol but you also wave the club mac actuarial banner :p

In my opinion, aim for UNSW or Usyd for the simple reason that half the people in this world care alot more than they should about reputations.

Last edited:

phrred

HSC
Is USYD as good as commerce as you all make it out to be, their commerce degree is very generalised which matches the USYD philosophy wif 7 core comm subjects.
are you only sayin its good coz its a degree from the UoSYD

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
phrred said:
Is USYD as good as commerce as you all make it out to be, their commerce degree is very generalised which matches the USYD philosophy wif 7 core comm subjects.
are you only sayin its good coz its a degree from the UoSYD
USYD isn't too bad from what i've seen... a mate of mine from PwC came from there. But I also heard their course isn't so great but then that's subjective of course- in my own experience doing ABW at USYD, they seem to have pretty good lecturers and facilities. Time will tell if their course will become well recognised in industry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)