• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

bcomm cut-off at mac (1 Viewer)

aditya

HSC
HAHAHA!! JLH u cant be serious?? ill accept it if u actually got the imfromation from a rep at USYD otherwise it sounds like total garbage...

firstly... engineering is probably more intensive than law...

secondly... unis want money, they are dying for money... they arent just gonna not let people in... what do they care???? y do u think they took away prerequisites?? they'll let people in with 30UAI... the people won't get far.. but its at absolutely no loss to the instutiution itself...

and thank u so much machtitte (wateva it sez), i jsut needed confirmation on that...

and that person that said u cant compare UNSW with MAC... ur post was exactly the same as my question./.... because of the fact mac is better at acturial stds raised the question in my mind in the first place...

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Actuarial at Macq is more of a stand-alone course, and for a reason. Whereas at UNSW Actuarial is just part of Commerce, and for a reason.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
and you aditya, what prestigous uni course are you enrolled in?

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
well i got similar information from a reputatable macq uni representative. i did just use that as an example. i'm assuming usyd would do the same, i mean they have a reputable standard to uphold. they arn't just gonna let any joe blow into law. please, while its true that it appears the uni's are money hungry bastards, they do have standards to uphold not only to the general community but also to the different industries that are going to hire these graduates..

yes i like you do think engineering is must more intensive than law, but then again it takes a type of person with that engineering knack to be able to do an enginnering course...

highpingbastard

Lag me hard!
HSC
they do have standards to uphold, but only on giving out degrees.....

letting people in is a different manner. I mean, why would they refuse to let in a guy with 30UAI who was willing to pay for it? They pretty much get free money from this guy who will likely fail and fail and fail and keep paying.

Rahul

Dead Member
Originally posted by highpingbastard
I mean, why would they refuse to let in a guy with 30UAI who was willing to pay for it? They pretty much get free money from this guy who will likely fail and fail and fail and keep paying.
lol!
*thinks why he is in uni*

soso

HSC
N/A
Rooly people do you understand a UAI. It like many things is not what it appears. It is not a true test of intelligence or ability to cope at Uni.

A major factor in any UAI is subject choice. A result in standard english is scaled down, a result in advanced or extension english is scaled up. AS a result if you enrolled in extension and avanced subjects you could get a good UAI even if you did badly.

This is recognised by uni's who have other methods of entry such as mature age, non-award, diploma in languages etc. At Macqarie if you want to go into open award they take UAI's of between 40-62 pass the course and your in and strangely these poor people who can't boast a UAI of over 70 pass and do just as well as the 90 and above.

Get over your UAI of 90+ the only ones interested in it are you. No-one cares soon. Yes you worked but it is not a measure of your humanity in fact flaunting it is a measure of your inhumanity

aditya

HSC
QUOTE:
yes i like you do think engineering is must more intensive than law, but then again it takes a type of person with that engineering knack to be able to do an enginnering course...

OMG?! what the hell is that?... nah seriously, ur an idiot for saying that... totally contradicted urself... for engineering u need prowess in maths... in law - english... seriously, think about wat u say???

*anooyed*

AND FLYER!

could u please tell me wat those reasons are?

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Originally posted by Grizzly
and you aditya, what prestigous uni course are you enrolled in?
meh, nm, i just read in another thread your in yr12. =|

Last edited:

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Originally posted by ...
who da fuck cares bout the cut off

i'll laught if u can get out of the course alive
Good point. :hammer:

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by soso
Rooly people do you understand a UAI. It like many things is not what it appears. It is not a true test of intelligence or ability to cope at Uni.

A major factor in any UAI is subject choice. A result in standard english is scaled down, a result in advanced or extension english is scaled up. AS a result if you enrolled in extension and avanced subjects you could get a good UAI even if you did badly.

This is recognised by uni's who have other methods of entry such as mature age, non-award, diploma in languages etc. At Macqarie if you want to go into open award they take UAI's of between 40-62 pass the course and your in and strangely these poor people who can't boast a UAI of over 70 pass and do just as well as the 90 and above.

Get over your UAI of 90+ the only ones interested in it are you. No-one cares soon. Yes you worked but it is not a measure of your humanity in fact flaunting it is a measure of your inhumanity

advanced and standard english courses are scaled the same...

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by aditya
QUOTE:

OMG?! what the hell is that?... nah seriously, ur an idiot for saying that... totally contradicted urself... for engineering u need prowess in maths... in law - english... seriously, think about wat u say???

*anooyed*

AND FLYER!

alright man.........relax, y the hell are u giving everyone such a hard time?.......like, i mean, if u dont agree with people u dont have to full on criticise them and tell them their idiots!......u've basically insulted everyone who has sincerley and thoughtfully tried to help u in this thread.....u sound like u are an individual who knows more then people in this thread...y are u posting a million questions in this forum when u sound like u know all the answers already.......???

santaslayer

HSC

secondly... unis want money, they are dying for money... they arent just gonna not let people in... what do they care???? y do u think they took away prerequisites?? they'll let people in with 30UAI... the people won't get far.. but its at absolutely no loss to the instutiution itself
it is a loss to unis when they have major failure rates within one faculty.......the good unis guide publish employment rates for uni courses at different unis and if one particular course at a particular uni had significant increases in their unemployment rate within a year.....it would be damaging on their reputation.....so yes...the unis are at a loss to a large extent

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
AND FLYER!

Ahhh, nevermind.

The thing about Macquarie is, they may seem to give out degrees. But if you want good grades you'll need to work for them. I mean, sure you can get a degree at Macq, but it isn't going to look good, if all you get a Passes and Fails.

And soso, the UAI is a (relatively) fair system.

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by flamin'
Who cares about UAI now? We're uni kids - its GPA now and UAI counts for jack crap. You can easily change courses.
unless ur wanting to transfer

soso

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by santaslayer
advanced and standard english courses are scaled the same...
If they are scaled the same can you explain why you cant get a band 6 in standard english you can only go as high as a band 5. You can however get a band 6 in Advanced english.

I have seena result where a band 1 in extension history was scaled above a mark of 60+ in Accountancy

How do you explain that

soso

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by flyin'
Ahhh, nevermind.

The thing about Macquarie is, they may seem to give out degrees. But if you want good grades you'll need to work for them. I mean, sure you can get a degree at Macq, but it isn't going to look good, if all you get a Passes and Fails.

And soso, the UAI is a (relatively) fair system.
There is a major flaw i have seen in action. You can take extension subjects do badly in exam results and be scaled up.

It doesn't happen a lot because teachers talk students out of doing subjects they may do badly in. But studentd can do better by getting a poor grade in extension rather than a good grade in standard.

If the UAI is fair why is the drop out rate at Uni around 20%. Surely if it was fair it would be lower.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)