• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

bcomm cut-off at mac (2 Viewers)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by soso
There is a major flaw i have seen in action. You can take extension subjects do badly in exam results and be scaled up.

It doesn't happen a lot because teachers talk students out of doing subjects they may do badly in. But studentd can do better by getting a poor grade in extension rather than a good grade in standard.

If the UAI is fair why is the drop out rate at Uni around 20%. Surely if it was fair it would be lower.
Well, we do have several forums here at BoS, if you want to discuss the UAI system.

Are you suggesting that if the UAI was "fairer" there would be less people dropping out. And where did you find out that drop out rate.

People drop out for various reasons.

The UAI is a measure of how capable a prospective student might be. It is an estimate.

Also if you are capable of undertaking an advanced subject (Advanced) you are advised to do so.

In regards to Standard, the Board of Studies determines whether Standard students deserve a Band 6 or not. And in 2003, there was 1. The marks for Standard and Advanced are based on the performances of both groups in Paper I. So if people in Advanced perform worse than Standard, there will be more people in higher bands than Advanced.

Furthermore, the marks given by BOS to students are not directly used in calculation of UAI. They are scaled.

Also the assumption that doing poorly in extension is equal in terms of marks to doing well in standard is an assumption. Perhaps the extension subjects require more rigour, which is why it'll apted called extension as opposed to standard or non-extension.

Take for example, Mathematics Extension 2 and Mathematics. Say someone does well in Mathenatics with a score of 90%. And let's say someone else does poorly in Mathematics Extension 2 with a score of 50%. Does that mean that the system is unfair when the person who just passed is scaled up? Perhaps the person who obtained 50% worked twice as hard as the person who obtained 90%.

Last edited:

soso

HSC
N/A
yes that is what i am saying about extension subjects. The point is students should take harder subjects because that choice alone is rewarded by scaling up.

aditya

HSC
it is a loss to unis when they have major failure rates within one faculty.......the good unis guide publish employment rates for uni courses at different unis and if one particular course at a particular uni had significant increases in their unemployment rate within a year.....it would be damaging on their reputation.....so yes...the unis are at a loss to a large extent

if the uai cut-off is 30 in the first place then that means the reputation is totaly destryoed....

*sigh*

its comments liek that i get upset at...

i sincerly appreciate your help... but i its the biased comments that are distubring... and the made up facts... which dont even make sense

and flyer? please?

santaslayer

HSC
If they are scaled the same can you explain why you cant get a band 6 in standard english you can only go as high as a band 5. You can however get a band 6 in Advanced english.

I have seena result where a band 1 in extension history was scaled above a mark of 60+ in Accountancy

How do you explain that

uh......there was someone last year who DID get a band 6 in standard........ what are u talking about? have u looked at the resluts of the 2003 hsc yet? :confused: :rolleyes:

santaslayer

HSC
yes that is what i am saying about extension subjects. The point is students should take harder subjects because that choice alone is rewarded by scaling up.
not if ur in the lower bands of the "scaled" subjects....u get what u deserve...not what subjects u did......

i did all the "crappy scaled" subjects as people might like to put it..but the fact of the matta is, is that i got a substantially higher uai then my fello classmates who were doing ext2 maths, physics, chemistry, adv eng, SDD.....as a combination. (for some strange reason this is percieved to be the dream combo?)
i did less "prestigious" subz like eng, G maths, eco, legal, biz and 2U RE..
the fact that they got all band 2's, 3's and 4's in a subject with such a high quality candititure is whats detrimental to ur uai in the end....

santaslayer

HSC
Santaslayer why do you quote your UAI?
so i can get big headed about it...i dunno, it WAS the trend afta the hsc so people didnt start msging u from BoS asking u what u got....hence, overloading my hotmail account.

i will take it off if u want me too :p

soso

HSC
N/A
No particular preference if you do or don't. Funny how quickly it reaches its use by date after looming so large on the horizon.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by aditya
and flyer? please?
Okay, to answer the very original question.

You posted about how people with lower UAIs being capable of doing well. I mentioned Actuarial Studies, because even people with high UAIs struggle. So people with a UAI of 60, wouldn't really stand a chance.

I understand that Macquarie does have a system in place for those who want to study at a university level but haven't been granted the chance for whatever reason.

I was merely highlighting that there are courses where the UAI exists for a reason.

flamin'

Most the people with high UAIs in ACST also have a high, if not perfect GPA. People with higher UAIs probably work harder and are willing to put in more of effort. They may not necessarily be smarter.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
The UAI is an indicator of both ability and how much one can work. If someone obtained a 60 UAI then one would question their ability and how much they can work, if they do a course with a UAI cut off of 90.

flamin'

Originally posted by flyin'
The UAI is an indicator of both ability and how much one can work. If someone obtained a 60 UAI then one would question their ability and how much they can work, if they do a course with a UAI cut off of 90.
and etc. etc. etc.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC

Take for example, Mathematics Extension 2 and Mathematics. Say someone does well in Mathenatics with a score of 90%. And let's say someone else does poorly in Mathematics Extension 2 with a score of 50%. Does that mean that the system is unfair when the person who just passed is scaled up? Perhaps the person who obtained 50% worked twice as hard as the person who obtained 90%.
LOL , i gotta agree as i am a living example.
I nearly failed (raw) every single Extn 2. internal assesment, came 2nd in class, but probably beating in HSC/UAI every other 2u'er in my school that was getting 90+ internally. :D

soso

HSC
N/A
Haven't some of you heard of special provisions. Some students with ability do not get good UAIs because of disability.

They may have encountered disatrous health problems, bereavement, excessive family responsibility etc etc The UAI does measure accurately for some but not for others.

SHould a student who is stricken with meningicoccal, gets a low UAI have to repeat when the ability is there

Should a student who loses a parent or more have to repeat

My point exactly

Also consider the student with special needs. Special provisions only compensate to a point. any assessment that involves an exam, only measures what happened on that day.

What about the student who had a poor teacher or a number of teachers who takes responsibility for that.

THe UAI is flawed. In Darwin they don't use it at all for Uni entry

soso

HSC
N/A
YES Iwas wrong saying there is a drop out rate of 20% On the front page of the Herald today it states the drop out rate for UNi is 40% Great job the UAI is as a predictor. Must be right 60% of the time.

There nust be another way

santaslayer

HSC
Haven't some of you heard of special provisions. Some students with ability do not get good UAIs because of disability.

They may have encountered disatrous health problems, bereavement, excessive family responsibility etc etc The UAI does measure accurately for some but not for others.

SHould a student who is stricken with meningicoccal, gets a low UAI have to repeat when the ability is there

Should a student who loses a parent or more have to repeat

My point exactly

Also consider the student with special needs. Special provisions only compensate to a point. any assessment that involves an exam, only measures what happened on that day.

What about the student who had a poor teacher or a number of teachers who takes responsibility for that.

THe UAI is flawed. In Darwin they don't use it at all for Uni entry
what do they use?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
soso, I reckon you're right. They should let people just walk into whatever they like. I mean, the drop-out rate would be same anyway. ;) Actually scrap the UAI, that's just for those smart kids with ability. :p

soso

HSC
N/A
soso, I reckon you're right. They should let people just walk into whatever they like. I mean, the drop-out rate would be same anyway. ;) Actually scrap the UAI, that's just for those smart kids with ability. :p
Right idea wrong reason. some people are smarter than others. I suggest that the UAI doesn't effectively tell us which is which.

You know some people who are dumb are smart enough to know this. They are so smart they find the niche that suits them. Some really smart people never find the happy medium.

Still people who are willing to give it a shot should get the chance one way or another. They may drop out but so do the so called smart people. Thats my point

It is naive to think it is the smart ones and the dumb ones, its facist to think the smart should be the only ones to have opportunity

soso

HSC
N/A
Special provisions can add up to 5 points to your UAI.

In some instances a UNI may ignore your UAI altogether but it is rare

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)