• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Beijing Olympics 2008 Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Gold.

Women's 4x100m medley. WR.

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
Zrap said:
His on drugs,
Hackett could barely breathe and the tunisian guy was fine and looked like he could race again.
DRUGS!
mellouli actually did get suspended for drugs a couple of years ago.

I hope someone (anyone) can pip the americans today in the relay to deny phelps number 8 for the lulz

atreus

HSC
is anyone else getting annoyed when they hear that phelps is the greatest olympian ever?
i dont see how the no. of gold medals won make him the greatest. i would think winning the same event at 3 consecutive olympics, or something that actually requirees long term ability and ocmmitment would be 'greater'. and its only cos hes in swimming. how is a basketballer, footballer, volleyballer, tennis player, etc. meant to win 8 gold medals in the same olympics?

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Silver. Men's 4x100m medley.

Phelps 8 Gold.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
atreus said:
is anyone else getting annoyed when they hear that phelps is the greatest olympian ever?
i dont see how the no. of gold medals won make him the greatest. i would think winning the same event at 3 consecutive olympics, or something that actually requirees long term ability and ocmmitment would be 'greater'. and its only cos hes in swimming. how is a basketballer, footballer, volleyballer, tennis player, etc. meant to win 8 gold medals in the same olympics?
he won a lot of those events at athens i think, and im sure he'll win them at the next olympics too. also, medals contributed probably is the best measure of being the best olympian. After all, we pay the most attention to medal tallies. he contributes the most to his country's medal tally

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
phelps won 3 gold in athens i think (2 or 3? medley, butterfly and relay?)

He's probably the greatest swimmer to have graced the pool, but i reckon he won't be considered as the greatest olympian until we see how he does in London. Dominating an event for 3 or more olympics consecutively rather than dominating several on just a single occasion.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
So swimming over and all our golds were won by the girls. The men contributed none.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
brilliant work by the women in the medley. excellent work by the men too: we went under the WR, too, and we were the underdogs.

nice work by phelps.

we're third on the medal tally by total medals (29) by a fair margin

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Rafy said:
So swimming over and all our golds were won by the girls. The men contributed none.
Yeah, the men didn't go too well this year. There are some long distance swimming events left, though. We don't have much of a chance in them, unfortunately.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
goony said:
phelps won 3 gold in athens i think (2 or 3? medley, butterfly and relay?)

He's probably the greatest swimmer to have graced the pool, but i reckon he won't be considered as the greatest olympian until we see how he does in London. Dominating an event for 3 or more olympics consecutively rather than dominating several on just a single occasion.

He won 6 gold in Athens which makes 14 gold now and 16 all together.

The closest for golds was 9 and for total is 18 I believe so he will need to go to London to get that many.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
yeah just looked it up. He got 6 gold in athens. In terms of % of gold medals contributed to the USA team, or any team, I'm sure he'll top it after the next olympics (only needs two). That would make him the greatest olympian in my books.

HSC
Good game ladies in women's basketball vs to Russia. Great comeback from 1/2 time.

I missed our fave guy from Ned, Pieter Van De Hoogenband. He is not good at swimming anymore now.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
cycling really is awesome to watch.

and fuck the olympics for screwing up my uni study

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)