Being both Mathematics and English teacher? (1 Viewer)

lolwhatever

HSC
I was just wondering if if it's possible to become both a Mathematics and English teacher by studying a Bachelor of Education (Secondary: Humanities and Social Sciences)/Bachelor of Arts at USYD?

Peeik

HSC
Yep, you picked the right degree. In this particular case, you will major in english and minor in mathematics. But you will be able to teach all levels of english and math when you graduate.

lolwhatever

HSC
YAY cool :D But I only did Adv Eng and 2u Maths in high school..would that make it difficult for me to follow?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
However when you get to a school you will probably find that you will only teach one of them - for the simple reason that you would be in two faculties and that can cause problems - not saying you wouldn't get to teach both just that is it very hard to work in two faculties. Schools rarely need both English and Maths teachers at the same time so you would be put in one faculty and probably only get those classes - e.g. at my school most of our English teachers have History as a second subject and don't teach it because they are needed to cover all the English classes and the HSIE faculty covers all the History classes, same with our Maths/Science teachers many of whom are qualified for both but only teach one due to the need to cover their own faculty and the difficulty of working across two faculties - particularly the big ones like English, Maths and Science - even the fact that you would probably have a desk in one staffroom and have to go to the other to even have a discussion about what you are teaching in that faculty would mean that you would miss the incidental conversations that happen about the subject.

I am not trying to dissuade you but pointing out some of the realities of a school environment and what happens on the ground rather than the theoretical situation of doing that combination.

lolwhatever

HSC
Hmm, that is true...I guess I should rethink it. But thank you!

donnawhite

HSC
Uni Grad
I think as the cem says you have to choose on from Math and English because of a school's rules and regulations. You can accept one which you have more experience and interest in teaching than other!

Iruka

HSC
N/A
You do occasionally meet people who teach both. But they are rare. I suspect that if you qualify to teach both you will find that most of the time you are teaching maths, as that is where the big shortages are.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
You do occasionally meet people who teach both. But they are rare. I suspect that if you qualify to teach both you will find that most of the time you are teaching maths, as that is where the big shortages are.
My maths teacher is qualified to teach both english and maths, however has never actually taught english at school for this point that they're shortages in maths teachers.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
My maths teacher is qualified to teach both english and maths, however has never actually taught english at school for this point that they're shortages in maths teachers.
"there are shortages" not "they are shortages"

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Yep, you picked the right degree. In this particular case, you will major in english and minor in mathematics. But you will be able to teach all levels of english and math when you graduate.
If you minor in maths will you be able to teach 4U?

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Just wondering but what degree do you have to do if you want to teach 4U maths, Physics and chemistry at school?

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Just wondering but what degree do you have to do if you want to teach 4U maths, Physics and chemistry at school?
Not sure if you can get all those three in a double degree but why don't you do a double degree of any two which you find and do a masters for the third one?

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Not sure if you can get all those three in a double degree but why don't you do a double degree of any two which you find and do a masters for the third one?
Takes too long, I guess. Can't I do a major in one and a minor in another?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)