Belonging Creative Writing Ideas (1 Viewer)

BECBEC1992

HSC
i was actually thinking about doing mine from the perspective of a young child who is from a family of abuse and what not, and talk about how they are taken away from their family and how they struggle but eventually find a sense of belonging.
What do you think of that>?

Mr. Bojangles

HSC
I was thinking about daing a story that has to do with both familial belonging & communty belonging. Maybe something along the lines of a girl/boy who's parent's had migrated to a country (let's say Australia) but now there is political unrest between his/her parent's native country & Australia. They are asked to do a report on the conflict for school but has an internal struggle of whether her opinions lie with the Australian community or her homeland & parents.

I suck at creative writing & I seem to get solid ideas, but fall short when it comes to the actual writing of the story. I wanted to encorperate some verrasamilitude but couldn't think of any recent wars that wasn't something cleche' like Afganistan.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.:)

jellybelly59

HSC
encorperate = incorporate
verrasamilitude = verisimilitude
cleche' = clichéd

spelling might help...

think its a good idea, but remember that the immigration thing will probably be done to death - I reckon it's a good idea to have the whole report for school thing (adds something else in rather than just someone reflecting).

In terms of writing, I guess what works for me is to just sit down and write. Write as much as you can. Doesn't matter if it's not perfect yet, or if it's clichéd, just write it.

Once you're done, leave it for an hour, do something else, go back to it and edit it. Then repeat until you're happy with it. That way you can change the clichéd stuff etc.

I don't know the best way, but that's just what works for me (and creatives are my worst section in english)
lol omg sikhman you sound exactly like my good ex english teacher :tongue:

Ariga

HSC
I was going to write about a gay couple going to a dinner party, and how one half is worried about not being accepted by his partner's family, for obvious reasons.
Is this a valid idea? Does it fit into the belonging concept?
Any suggestions would be awesome :>

Last edited:

romaan

HSC
biianxsh thats actually a pretty smart idea.. go for it

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I was going to write about a gay couple going to a dinner party, and how one half is worried about not being accepted by his partner's family, for obvious reasons.
Is this a valid idea? Does it fit into the belonging concept?
It is valid and it fits. However, be careful with how you write it, as it can become very hackneyed if not written with conviction.

jessicalysenko

HSC
Mine is kind of lame and totally generic and badly written and uncompleted. :haha: It's about a 2nd generation migrant who was born in Australia and still feels connections towards her homeland. She struggles to find a place where she really belongs because while she has grown up around her Australian friends and peers, her parents' ethnic background and cultural values have significantly influenced her.
Have you read the Namesake by any chance? as in, one of the PRESCRIBED TEXTS which is about EXACTLY that. For gods sake, do NOT do that as your creative, unless you want 0.

Namesake is more about perceptions.. and a novel, so it is longer.. but don't go near the whole second generation 'riding the fence' type of thing..

This is an old post anyway, so my reply is irrelevant ><

Livvy-Jane

HSC
burns victim, with scares over 85% of his body, who lives in rual austraila can only find peace swiming alone in a billobong, in the very forest that he was burnt in during the christmas bushfires.....=)

CataFi

HSC
you can't really not be cliche, there dont seem to be mnay original ideas left in the world

The Land Of Procrastinating.. Which is in the same
HSC
I'm trying to be different with my creative story.. I think I want to do a story about someone who doesn't want to belong.. maybe he doesn't want to belong to a specific gang or something.. but he keeps being drawn to it because of the rush of adrenaline he gets whenever he does something stupid with them.. The power that comes with belonging...

Could it work??

elliotkool

HSC
write a belonging story that relates to race, culture or even familial belonging (family)
i think thats a no go..as a lot of people will be doing that
Think about it, its the easiest to write about..and the whole state is going to end up writing that if they run out of time

My suggestion, plan characters rather than plot
Use descriptive language, because that can work in any context =]

simplyyme

HSC
all i have to say is don't write a story about an internet pedo like i did ==", i some how started off with the kids in the yard playing in the snow and somehow they ended up inside talking in a chat room

extra123

HSC
try and think about situations which you have encountered. when did you feel a sense of belonging or isolation? i think in order to develop good characterisation, you need a realistic plot. your first step should be finding a realistic situation. then brainstorm ideas about it. if it's too cliched, drop it. Avoid deaths and teenage angst. if i were you, i would consider the notion of identity e.g.

- a young person has been enlisted in the army and is soon to serve overseas. rather than talking about the war, maybe talk about how he feels a great deal of isolation as people look down on him.

- the person has a disability after a crash. he visits rehab centre where he finds a sense of attachment with those around him who suffer various medical conditions. previously he didn't care about these people but now views them as the 'genuine human beings in our society'

these are not the best ideas. just brainstorm and see what you come up with. personally it took me 2-3 months to come up with a good story in A range. you just need to be patient.

Fly Kite

HSC
burns victim, with scares over 85% of his body, who lives in rual austraila can only find peace swiming alone in a billobong, in the very forest that he was burnt in during the christmas bushfires.....=)
by swimming in the billabong, does he meet a bunyip and forms a relationship with it/him/her?
(wishful thinking)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
all i have to say is don't write a story about an internet pedo like i did ==", i some how started off with the kids in the yard playing in the snow and somehow they ended up inside talking in a chat room
Could work if executed correctly. You'd want to really plan it though.

Dee-C

HSC
you can't really not be cliche, there dont seem to be mnay original ideas left in the world
so true.

But it depends on the way you manipulate the idea as well as writing it in a specific way to make people respond differently to a similiar idea.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)