Belonging Movies (1 Viewer)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Would 'Easy A' be a good film to study for Belonging?

gesh17

HSC
N/A
Would 'Easy A' be a good film to study for Belonging?
I think the general consensus, for Advanced anyway, is to try and avoid films altogether if possible. My teacher encouraged me to use novels, poetry and even websites or artwork ahead of film but it's really up to you I guess.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Basically, you just want to find a text type that contrasts with your prescribed text. Films are fine, depending on what they. Teen comedies are usually not looked well upon but they can work when done well.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I think the general consensus, for Advanced anyway, is to try and avoid films altogether if possible. My teacher encouraged me to use novels, poetry and even websites or artwork ahead of film but it's really up to you I guess.
My sig says standard...
Basically, you just want to find a text type that contrasts with your prescribed text. Films are fine, depending on what they. Teen comedies are usually not looked well upon but they can work when done well.
We're doing the Crucible, which is also about alienation. so...? does that work?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I haven't seen the film yet, so I can't say for certain. However, Belonging is such a broad topic I'm sure you could find evidence to analyse it from the film.

gesh17

HSC
N/A
That's why I said "for Advanced anyway" - I'm still implying that Standard is similar in that regard but films are probably less frowned upon imo.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
That's why I said "for Advanced anyway" - I'm still implying that Standard is similar in that regard but films are probably less frowned upon imo.
Everyone does the same exam for Belonging, so it doesn't matter whether you're advanced or standard. Also, it depends on the type of film you do. Something like 'Un Chien Andalou' can't be considered to be on the same level as 'Eurotrip', even though they're both films.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Everyone does the same exam for Belonging, so it doesn't matter whether you're advanced or standard. Also, it depends on the type of film you do. Something like 'Un Chien Andalou' can't be considered to be on the same level as 'Eurotrip', even though they're both films.
If I did a foreign film or an anime do you think that would be smiled upon? (as opposed to frowned upon)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I wouldn't really recommend anime, though a lot of people have had success with it. Foreign films work well, but only if they're good films. And you get the same effect with domestic films, provided they're good. You don't always have to go for the big, successful Hollywood films. Stuff like this can be really interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogme_95

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I wouldn't really recommend anime, though a lot of people have had success with it. Foreign films work well, but only if they're good films. And you get the same effect with domestic films, provided they're good. You don't always have to go for the big, successful Hollywood films. Stuff like this can be really interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogme_95
Yeah, I did my least favourite episode of Neon Genesis Evangelion for my prelim yearly because I had no idea what to do til I got in and I watched it the night before and I got like 17/20 which landed me 3rd in the year so, I think I'm swaying towards anime.
Cabin Fever was shit.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
There's a solid link between Easy A and the Crucible though. Use the novel the Scarlet Letter lol. Intertextuality ftw.

gesh17

HSC
N/A
Yeah I suppose so but teachers still know about Advanced/Standard prescribed texts though but you're probably right.

Yeah, I did my least favourite episode of Neon Genesis Evangelion for my prelim yearly because I had no idea what to do til I got in and I watched it the night before and I got like 17/20 which landed me 3rd in the year so, I think I'm swaying towards anime.
Cabin Fever was shit.
You can never go wrong with NGE but Absolutezero has a good point too - good films are probably a bit better than good anime; at least to the mind of a 50-something marker.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
There's a solid link between Easy A and the Crucible though. Use the novel the Scarlet Letter lol. Intertextuality ftw.
I'd use it as a link... but I'm not reading it. I'm already doing Alice's Adventures in Wonderland as one of my related texts.
You can never go wrong with NGE but Absolutezero has a good point too - good films are probably a bit better than good anime; at least to the mind of a 50-something marker.
Ugh. I hate old people. Like old men. Old women are okay. They teach me maths.

kBOS

HSC
N/A
Has anyone seen 'Bran Nue Day'? I haven't watched it yet, but I had this thought that it may be good for belonging. IDK just a feeling :p and since it's an Australian non-hollywood type film, this may sit better with the markers. My prescribed text is 'The Simple Gift'.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Has anyone seen 'Bran Nue Day'? I haven't watched it yet, but I had this thought that it may be good for belonging. IDK just a feeling :p and since it's an Australian non-hollywood type film, this may sit better with the markers. My prescribed text is 'The Simple Gift'.
Abos are always struggling to fit in, so I'd say yes.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Your analysis ain't worth nothing unless your chosen text is 18th century 3000 page Russian literature.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)