Belonging Notes (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bored of sc

HSC
What do you think?

Belonging: being a member or part of a certain group or form.

An understanding of belonging is essential as it is an inherent human condition. One either belongs or does not belong to an existing entity. This is a key assumption underlying the area of study.

There are many different groups people belong to. Some include family, peer/social groups, teams, clubs, cultural groups, school, work, nationality/country and lifestyles.
To belong beyond/without a doubt, one needs to fit the expectations/norms of that particular group for instance, to belong to a school community one must be prepared to attend school classes and cooperate with the staff and fellow students, otherwise there is the risk of expulsion.

An individual’s identity is closely interrelated with belonging. Groups are formed due to the similarities/shared interests of its members. Characteristics such as age, gender, location/environment, family, socio-economic status, dominant culture, friends, race/cultural heritage, political views, education, heredity and lifestyle are powerful forces pulling people towards particular groups. For example, someone who moves from out west in the country to a coastal, city area may feel alienated and isolated as the lifestyle they have come from is a stark contrast to the lifestyle they have now chosen. We all enjoy the security of the familiar [paraphrased from V’s London speech in McTeigue’s V for Vendetta] and it is easy to feel frightened when moving into the unknown, the road we haven’t travelled.

Belonging is often used as a safety blanket. People use it to differentiate between groups. A prime example of this is bigotry. The Cronulla riots were the result of irrational racist remarks exchanged between the Lebanese and the Caucasians. Violence, harassment and vilification were present and social groups were established and strengthened purely based on race/cultural group – leading to divisions within the community, ongoing discrimination and social unrest.

However belonging does not just divide people, it unites. The National Rugby League is the excellent example of this. After the Manly Sea Eagles defeated the Melbourne Storm 40-0 in the 2008 Grand Final football fans across Australia came together with the same intention in mind – to celebrate.

Past experiences can teach us life lessons in relation to belonging. “When we begin to understand the forces that drive us to belong, we develop empathy for others and personal insight,” [Karen Yager, NSW Department of Education and Training] self-actualisation (true knowledge of oneself, one’s relationships with others and the world they live in). Once this happens social barriers and paradigms break down. One realises that to ensure they belong and are accepted within society they must stop trying to fight what they ultimately cannot control.

Personal perceptions and attitudes play a crucial role in determining our belonging status. This also encompasses value systems, morals, ethics, beliefs, prejudices, social constructs, ideologies and philosophies. In the end it comes down to the individual. You influence what, who, where, when, why and how you belong through decision making – the choices you make and the experiences which result.

Belonging is a universally ubiquitous concept for humanity – we will never stop trying to gain a valuable place in the world. We will put on facades, continue to pass on learned prejudices and forever search for the ultimate goal of integrity and immortality.

-tal-

HSC
bored of sc said:
What do you think?
As in how it can be improved (coz you wrote it), or what the actual writing told me?

If it's the former, I can't see much wrong with it.

Latter, then I suppose I agree..?

bored of sc

HSC
-tal- said:
As in how it can be improved (coz you wrote it), or what the actual writing told me?

If it's the former, I can't see much wrong with it.

Latter, then I suppose I agree..?
Um, both. Thanks though. Just trying map the concept of belonging and work it all out.

-tal-

HSC
bored of sc said:
Um, both. Thanks though. Just trying map the concept of belonging and work it all out.
meh np.

Maybe you could try varying your first sentences and the 2 sentences after it . It doesn't "flow" nicely, a little broken. Gahh idk how to put it. Hang on, you do music don't you? It's like playing staccato instead of legato, eh that makes sense to me.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Timothy.Siu said:
its good, its helped me thanx
Lol, it appears that we are the ones who are actually getting benefit from this...

bored of sc

HSC
-tal- said:
Maybe you could try varying your first sentences and the 2 sentences after it . It doesn't "flow" nicely, a little broken. Gahh idk how to put it. Hang on, you do music don't you? It's like playing staccato instead of legato, eh that makes sense to me.
Oh, so you mean do shorter, detached sentences in between some longer ones to provide variety.

jaychouf4n

HSC
Something I wrote up for my tutor

Belonging is about a person's feeling of conection with a person or group, about being able to share opinions with others. Belonging can be a very positive aspect to one's life because it allows onself to feel like a human being who is valued by others. At the same time it provides security as to one's identity and purpose in the world because belonging creates conformity to a set of accepted values. However one must remember, as an extension of the conformist nature of belonging, people lose not only the freedom to choose their own thoughts but also the knowledge of their own individuality and personal faiths. But at the same time, not being able to belong isolates people giving them insecurites about their own humanity because they are unable to fit into a set of truths set by a group or person. IT is destructive to one's self esteem and creates a person who cannot contribute to the achievements of groups. Hence one must make a compromise, one must be able to belong and recognise oneself as a valued human being, but not to the point that we become simply another conformist member, losing all individual thoughts.

N.B. I did this in 10minutes before the lesson ><

bored of sc

HSC
jaychouf4n said:
Belonging is about a person's feeling of conection with a person or group, about being able to share opinions with others. Belonging can be a very positive aspect to one's life because it allows onself to feel like a human being who is valued by others. At the same time it provides security as to one's identity and purpose in the world because belonging creates conformity to a set of accepted values. However one must remember, as an extension of the conformist nature of belonging, people lose not only the freedom to choose their own thoughts but also the knowledge of their own individuality and personal faiths. But at the same time, not being able to belong isolates people giving them insecurites about their own humanity because they are unable to fit into a set of truths set by a group or person. IT is destructive to one's self esteem and creates a person who cannot contribute to the achievements of groups. Hence one must make a compromise, one must be able to belong and recognise oneself as a valued human being, but not to the point that we become simply another conformist member, losing all individual thoughts.
That's spot on. I support/agree with everything you've said.

It is a basic human need to belong but it is too extreme to belong just because you are trying to meet social expectations/conforming/dominant culture. Belonging can be self-fulfilling, secure and help build/uncover a person's identity/individuality while not belonging can lead to a lack of freedom/freedom of thought, dehumanisation and self-destruction.

Last edited:

jellybelly59

HSC
Umm... your notes are good because it addresses the perverse nature of belonging and you seemed to have defined belonging well :) (Same with yours jaychouf4n... for a 10 min work that's pretty good)

aplus also had a very good piece of writing on belonging... can't seem to find the thread with the search function

bored of sc

HSC
jellybelly59 said:
aplus also had a very good piece of writing on belonging... can't seem to find the thread with the search function
Yeah. That was really philosophical.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
bored of sc said:
However belonging does not just divide people, it unites. The National Rugby League is the excellent example of this. After the Manly Sea Eagles defeated the Melbourne Storm 40-0 in the 2008 Grand Final football fans across Australia came together with the same intention in mind – to celebrate.
Saying that is just like rubbing salt in all Storms fans wounds.

Aside from that, that was an excellent piece of writing and captured the ideal of Belonging very well.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Um...let's just say....I feel really shit for choosing Extension 1 English now.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
jellybelly59 said:
Umm... your notes are good because it addresses the perverse nature of belonging and you seemed to have defined belonging well :) (Same with yours jaychouf4n... for a 10 min work that's pretty good)

I deleted it. I refresh my profile regularly. At the moment, I am also working on a definition on Belonging, but I am deconstructing the word analytically and deriving all possible perceptions of meaning in the broadest sense.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
Aplus said:
I deleted it. I refresh my profile regularly. At the moment, I am also working on a definition on Belonging, but I am deconstructing the word analytically and deriving all possible perceptions of meaning in the broadest sense.
lol u sound really good at english =)

Pacchiru

like bonnie and clyde
HSC
i actually bought a book called 'the belonging workbook'

gives examples of related texts, and goes into deep elaboration of the concept of belonging.

pretty good, imo.

also, it contains my school text - the immigrant's chronicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)