Belonging - Related Text Suggestion? (1 Viewer)

girlfromspace

HSC
alright, for my related text i was thinking of doing the giver by lois lowry and the film; donnie darko. do you think the two are smart choices for it?

kaitlynsturge

HSC
i'm already doing skrzynecki and the arrival, unoriginal i know, but i wa slooking for another migrant text that could tie in well with them. iwas looking at mi big fat greek wedding but it seems a bit chick flicky and not a reaqlly sophisticated text. Any suggestions?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
i'm already doing skrzynecki and the arrival, unoriginal i know, but i wa slooking for another migrant text that could tie in well with them. iwas looking at mi big fat greek wedding but it seems a bit chick flicky and not a reaqlly sophisticated text. Any suggestions?
I think you should try to get some variety - ie, choose a related text to belonging, but it doesn't necessarily have to be a migrant text. You could try contrasting the perceptions of belonging from respective characters. :)

Have a look at the Belonging Related Text Suggestions thread, if you're looking for some suggestions.

Mz Klutz

HSC
I wanted to use the cartoon "Contradiction of conventionality" since it really relates to strictly ballroom (scott in particular) but i can't find it on the net. Does anyone know where i can get it?

Could someone help please lol i need to know as soon as possible.

Last edited:

anthony75

HSC
Im doing the assignment which needs me to collect 3 belonging related texts.
i have...

• To kill a mockingbird

• Refugee Blues (poem)
ive been looking at Of mice and men, but i just cant see the good links to belonging, can someone help me?

jonotol

HSC
How about "Once Were Warriors" by Alan Duff?
Is it an appropriate text? and, I'm having trouble finding a relevant thesis for it.
Thanks!

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I dislike The Departed, both as a movie, and as a related text for belonging. The ideas of belonging espoused are very very superficial and are not 'deep'.

amandawillfail

HSC
Would 'Love song of J. Alfred Prufrock' by T.S Eliot be good? I guess it shows lack of belonging to a place, to society etc. Opinions?

I was going to do Stupid Girls-Pink but these people are right, teen stuff isn't taken seriously for the HSC :(:sun:

Ezalb

HSC
I'm considering doing Robert Frost's Mending Wall, but I'm not sure if it is a bit overused. And I'm not sure on my other one. I don't really want a novel, just because I'd like to be able to read/watch my texts a number of times. Any advice?

JimmyP

HSC
I'm assuming you're talking about the Kelly Clarkson song? Songs in general are a bad choice, unless you can analyse both the musical compositional aspect of the song, as well as the lyrical components. Most kids only analyse the lyrics, which results in them losing half the 'meaning' of the text. It's like doing the poem, and only reading every second line - you lose half the song. That's why songs are generally not recommended, unless you come from a musical background.

Agreed.

Yes, if you do it well, it will be a fantastic text.
you can only use the lyrical aspect of songs, also refering to things like rhythm and stuff. very irritating

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
you can only use the lyrical aspect of songs, also refering to things like rhythm and stuff. very irritating
You have to refer to all parts of the song, not just the lyric. Things like tone, key, instruments, melody, time signature need to be brought up.

KGZ9

HSC
what do you guys think of "gran torino" the film as a related text?

kBOS

HSC
N/A
okay so I understand songs are not particularly the best choice as a related text, unless you can write about them very well. What about (e.g. Pink's 'Stupid Girls') if you referred to Pink's lyrics to 'Stupid Girls', as opposed to Pink's song?? I'm not planning to use that song, but just as an example. If you were to say lyrics then you could JUST refer to the literary and poetic devices, am I correct?

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
okay so I understand songs are not particularly the best choice as a related text, unless you can write about them very well. What about (e.g. Pink's 'Stupid Girls') if you referred to Pink's lyrics to 'Stupid Girls', as opposed to Pink's song?? I'm not planning to use that song, but just as an example. If you were to say lyrics then you could JUST refer to the literary and poetic devices, am I correct?
No, the textual form is a song not just lyrics so all components have to be considered.

kBOS

HSC
N/A
oh and also, which Robert Frost poems do you people think are best for belonging?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)