Benefits of advanced and extension english (1 Viewer)

9megqyzn

HSC
Hey everyone, i was just wondering if doing advanced or extension english over standard had any benefits when it comes down to the final hsc marks or courses available for selection in universities.

Thanks, 9megqyzn

Does anyone know the requirements for extension english in year 11? (Talking generally, not according to schools)

Last edited:

Cerry

HSC
As a general rule, advanced and extension will scale better than standard. But as with anything else, you're better off doing well in a subject that doesn't scale so well than doing badly in a subject that does scale well.

Extension English in year 11 really kind of depends on which module you're doing. But regardless, you'll have to be prepared to do LOTS of reading. And some of your texts will be quite intricate, with gajillions of aspects to look at. And you'll have to write tonnes of essays. It's an incredible amount of work for one unit, but I actually enjoy it more than my advanced class. There's a lot more emphasis on what you can think of for yourself than what you can regurgitate (I think that's partly our teacher though).

Anyway, basically in extension English, you chose a module, and then an elective. All the texts you study will come from the elective, and you'll analyse them in terms of the elective, which can actually be surprisingly broad.
Module A is Genre, and the electives are Revenge Tragedy, Crime Fiction and Speculative Fiction.
Module B is Texts And Ways of Thinking, and the electives are The Individual and Society (this is my class' topic - it's mostly 19th Century England stuff), Postmodernism and Retreat From The Global
Module C is Language and Values, and the electives are Acts Of Reading and Writing, The Language Of Sport and Gendered Language.

The exam is two hours, and it has two questions. One is an essay, with a question that relates specifically to your elective, and the other is a creative writing task which is for everyone doing your module. Some of the essay questions are pretty horrible, but the creative writing generally isn't too bad.

If you've got any questions, PM or email me.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Scaling. Extension english has some prerequisites in some schools and in other schools it is compulory ( i think it is in Sydney Boys).

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
that was what I was wondering as well cos I heard Standard and Advanced scale the same. so, whats the point of doing advanced then?

9megqyzn

HSC
Thanks, cherry and kaz1.

To confirm, it has no benefits when getting into courses in universities?

Cerry

HSC
That depends on what courses you want to do. If you want to do journalism or something, then having a high level English is an advantage - especially if you've done extension 2, and done really well in your major work, it's a huge advantage. Obviously if you want to be an English teacher, they'll want high level English too.
But if you're wanting to do a mostly maths or science related course, then it's not such a big advantage.

To my knowledge, advanced tends to scale better, if only because the people doing it tend to be better at English and therefore get better marks, which scale up rather than down.

Cerry

HSC
Not a clue about that. But if you know where you're wanting to study, then you can look to see what their pre-requisits are, and they'll tell you what level of English they want. But doing advanced or extension suggests that you're a good communicator, which would be an advantage in a career like that.

beve

Jesus
HSC
9megqyzn said:
Hey everyone, i was just wondering if doing advanced or extension english over standard had any benefits when it comes down to the final hsc marks or courses available for selection in universities.

Thanks, 9megqyzn

Does anyone know the requirements for extension english in year 11? (Talking generally, not according to schools)
There aren't pre-requisites that I know of; but be sure that you are up to the commitment. Make no mistake; Extension English is a very, very challenging course and you should only do it if you like writing & love reading.

Advanced English will scale better than Standard given that you do well in advanced, Extension will scale better (on a per-unit basis) - than advanced will on its own. But pick things you enjoy; picking an extension of a subject you hate will get you nowhere. =)

(hence im in math extension & currently hating it. lol)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
beve said:
There aren't pre-requisites that I know of; but be sure that you are up to the commitment. Make no mistake; Extension English is a very, very challenging course and you should only do it if you like writing & love reading.

Advanced English will scale better than Standard given that you do well in advanced, Extension will scale better (on a per-unit basis) - than advanced will on its own. But pick things you enjoy; picking an extension of a subject you hate will get you nowhere. =)

(hence im in math extension & currently hating it. lol)
English (Standard) and English (Advanced) are scaled in the same way.

beve

Jesus
HSC
lyounamu said:
English (Standard) and English (Advanced) are scaled in the same way.
they aren't weighted the same, surely?

or else what is the point of doing advanced.?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
beve said:
they aren't weighted the same, surely?

or else what is the point of doing advanced.?
I do not wish to write like 10 pages of reasons to why they are scaled the same way.

However, they are scaled in the same way as both exams require you to do the AoS paper which is a common paper. This paper is used to align the students in terms of level and quality.

9megqyzn

HSC
lyounamu said:
I do not wish to write like 10 pages of reasons to why they are scaled the same way.

However, they are scaled in the same way as both exams require you to do the AoS paper which is a common paper. This paper is used to align the students in terms of level and quality.
Are you sure they're scaled the same? Can you list sources?

Thanks, 9megqyzn

bettina44

HSC
nerdsforever said:
that was what I was wondering as well cos I heard Standard and Advanced scale the same. so, whats the point of doing advanced then?
advance people have a better advantage over standard students they aren't taught how to get the top bands (5 and 6) while advanced are.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
bettina44 said:
advance people have a better advantage over standard students they aren't taught how to get the top bands (5 and 6) while advanced are.
wtf?

jules.09

HSC
I guess there are many people who want to take spare units. If you took 12 units for example, and as the BOS states that at least 2 units of english must count, if you did poorly in advanced, and actually did the extension two course, they can count your english extension 1+2 and obliterate advanced.

I guess that's the advantage of extension english. It's much more open ended and there's a greater chance at scoring a better mark there than in advanced which is largely regurgitation of material learnt in class etc.

At least this is what my english teacher told me.

9megqyzn

HSC
so can you get the top bands in standard english?

Am i disadvantaged in anyway if i'm doing standard as opposed to advanced?

brigittaclare

HSC
extension and advanced are the best. i wouldn't change doing them for anything.
i do four units, so maybe its just me, but if you want something that will challenge you and continue your learning curve rather than just working on what you already know, then advanced english will be mentally stimulating and you will enjoy it more than you would in standard

9megqyzn

HSC
but does it have any advantage when it comes to uai calculations?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)