Best degree at UNSW? What do you think? (1 Viewer)

jeann2014

HSC
My cousin thinks medicine or optometry, but I think Physcology or Comm/Law

mcapuano

HSC
Cut-off for B Psychology @ UNSW is 98 which implies very high demand [higher than at USYD even] so I concur about Psychology being one of the best degrees at UNSW.

lance687876

HSC
Uni Grad
engineering. our first years make robots that can go through mazes. beat that.

Last edited:

mcapuano

HSC

Galapagos

HSC
N/A
I'd like to point out that such horrifying statistics concerning Psychology graduates applies only to those stupid enough to think that they can make a career out of just a bachelors degree; if you major in Psychology and go to graduate school for a PhD or at least a Masters, you will be in high demand.
Or perhaps those 'out of a job' did not do well enough to proceed to honours and masters, as is required to become a registered psychologist.

Galapagos

HSC
N/A
Crap. I want to become a psychologist... Now I'm a bit worried I might not get into honours and masters - is it really difficult?
I don't know much about the UNSW degree, but a quick glance on the website tells me that you don't have to worry too much about honours (this requirement is embedded into your 4th year); to stay in your degree you have to maintain at least a 70 percent average. But you probably knew that already.

Regarding honours: "Students will not be allowed to progress to Stage 4 unless they achieve an average across Psychology courses taken at Stages 1-3 of 75 percent or higher, although students achieving an average of 70 percent or more may be admitted subject to appropriate research and supervision resources being available and at the discretion of the Head of School;" (Taken from 2014 handbook http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2014/3432.html)

Regarding Masters: you must have completed an honours psychology degree with first class honours. (Taken from p8 http://www.psy.unsw.edu.au/sites/al...ram Booklet 2014_0.pdf#overlay-context=user/1)

tl;dr You have got your foot in the door being that honours is part of your degree, but you have to maintain at least a 70% average to do honours. Furthermore, you must achieve Class 1 honours to be admitted into UNSW Master of Clinical Psychology

Last edited:

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
engineering. our first years make robots that can go through mazes. beat that.
UNSW also has the largest engineering faculty in the southern hemisphere and has competed internationally in a few engineering competitions.

I think a few years back the computer science students came in the top 5 of the World Robocup in Japan.

plutonium-238

HSC
Cut-off for B Psychology @ UNSW is 98 which implies very high demand [higher than at USYD even] so I concur about Psychology being one of the best degrees at UNSW.
And the cohort is extremely tight in first semester since they get their own PSYC1021 course. I'll commend anyone who gets into BPsych, everyone's friendly and the contents extremely interesting. Just don't fall asleep when Jackie Cranneys lecturing :p but Sue Morris always makes the course extremely fun.

Crap. I want to become a psychologist... Now I'm a bit worried I might not get into honours and masters - is it really difficult?
If you're doing BPsych, the minimum cutoff into honours is a 75 Psych WAM. I'm placing emphasis on that since they only look at what you scored in your psych subjects, not your gen ed and electives. Most BPsych students can get away with a 70 WAM and make it into honours, however it's harder for students doing other degrees getting into Psych honours with a 70 WAM. Having said that, don't slack off, there's a fair amount of content to remember. If you can bullshit your way through essays and research reports and score decent in multiple choice tests in the first semester, you'll be fine.

You'll also need to take account of what masters degree you might want to do. Galapagos was referring specifically to Clinical Psychology. Occupational and Forensic Psychology is easier to get into than Clinical Psychology with a cutoff of Class 1 or high Class 2 Honours (heard that the cutoff for clinical one year was 86+ for their thesis, Class 1 Honours is needed but you need to be at the top of the cohort). Nevertheless, you can always apply for other universities with easier entry requirements. Note that once you've made it into honours, they'll only look at your thesis mark to determine whether you'll make it into masters or not.

Jig school and visit UNSW during o-week (take a day off or what not) and explore your options with psychology (and get free spiders and fairy floss - not the 8 legged type :p). Emailing the UNSW Psych department won't get you results since they're mainly human resources. Know your psychology lecturers and if you see them on campus, ask them questions. Other than that, good luck with HSC!

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
^ I would agree. Definitely jig school for O-week haha xD

(LOLjk)

I just realised the other day that a school teacher could take the class on an excursion to sit in a lecture.

Just as long as they look old enough, dress properly, act normal and all go in separately no one will realise if its the first two weeks of the semester.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I just realised the other day that a school teacher could take the class on an excursion to sit in a lecture.

Just as long as they look old enough, dress properly, act normal and all go in separately no one will realise if its the first two weeks of the semester.
no one will really care what they do as long as they don't disturb the class and anyone can go anytime to lectures

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)