Best Economics Textbook (1 Viewer)

rockstar01

HSC
What is the best HSC economics textbook? and workbook?

As thread title

Reactions: h_g

Timesplitter 01

Lord Timesplitter
HSC
Well , Tim Dixons book , can not remeber the name though.

Tim Riley sucks

Study guides - The excel Economics book. I found it to be straight forward and help me improve my mark

pungpui

HSC
OI! I used Tim Riley's book and i got 95 for eco!

my eco teacher said theres 3 main books:

leading edge - easy

Tim Riley - middle

something else - hard

i had leading edge in yr 11 prelim...far too explicit and doesnt cover things like comparative advantage...

tim riley is great coz it goes into lots more depth...even though the page format itself looks dated and boring.

hyperbole

i LURRVE to exaggerate.
HSC
Tim Dixon 'Australia in the Global Economy' is excellent especially if you're just starting the economics course and you don't really understand the concepts etc. dixon provides really easy-to-understand explanations etc.
they also have a workbook which is pretty good too. the workbook consists of multiple choice, short answer and long answer/research questions.

tim riley's not bad either. if you use both the dixon and rile textbooks, you shoule be fine.

hyperbole

i LURRVE to exaggerate.
HSC
pungpui said:
OI! I used Tim Riley's book and i got 95 for eco!

my eco teacher said theres 3 main books:

leading edge - easy

Tim Riley - middle

something else - hard

i had leading edge in yr 11 prelim...far too explicit and doesnt cover things like comparative advantage...

tim riley is great coz it goes into lots more depth...even though the page format itself looks dated and boring.
are bulmer's textbooks the hard ones you're referring to??

zhongie

HSC
I agree with Without Wings.

Read Leaing Edge first, because it gives you a great overview, and then Riley for more analysis, and finally Bulmer fills you in on current stats so you look like a pro.

Reactions: h_g

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
I stuck with Riley throughout cos it was straightforward and followed the syllabus properly and ended up with an unexpected Band 6.

I used Dixon's workbook but the MC questions were far too easy. not worth the money imo.

mack

Banned
HSC
Tim Dixons book was most helpful for me, very indepth and well explained. I woulsn't use Excel as your primary book, as it's very brief and summarised. Use it more as a revision tool before an exam.

pungpui

HSC
y buy all 3 text books and have lots of wasted money and pages!?!

1 is fine! i didnt even use the excel shit or anything...revision and excersises...1 word...past-papers...

Timesplitter 01

Lord Timesplitter
HSC
Without Wings said:
i find that the best method is using all 3 togehter:
leading edge
bulmer
riley
gives you a great insight and if you dont undertsand one book you will another.

for workbook the leading edge one is good,well i really liked it and the answers are online, whcih is great :) i thought the workbook was good practice for exams.

i also found that excel hsc economics was not good, prelim was pretty good, but by hsc year the excel one wasnt very useful and didnt provide indepth enough info for band 6 answer. i'd much rather have say 2 textbooks than a textbook and excel

If you them in unison it is great. And works.

Our class went to an economics lecture that was also attended by a few other schools. And one of the speakers was Tim Riley.

5 minutes in and half the lecture theatre was a sleep ( and we are economic students ). And I am not joking. Tim Riley is a good person and author ( well sorta), but a public speaker he is not.

As I said before the Excel Econmoics book helped me heaps.

But all I can say is that , you should use what you feel comfortable with

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Everyone in my class that used the 3 main books ended up B6's. The ones who stuck to Riley mainly got B5's and the ones who used Dixon solely got < B5's.

doggogo8

HSC
I was just wondering ,that does anyone here have a idea where to buy cheap or secondhand economic books ? OR are there any threads on this . thanx >"<

pungpui

HSC
try your best not to use second hand books...they become quickly outdated in economics...remember you need the very latest in up to date stats and policy data.

eg hypothetically if govt used contractionary stance this budget, but an expansionary stance in your edition, if the book expands on the one used, you'll get like the wrong stuff!

rnb_master

HSC
tim rileys book is by far the best book for competent HSC students. Dixons book is very basic and not very detailed. Riley produces a much more comprehensive covergae of the course but is a little more difficult. i scored 94 using both books so it might be an idea to use both books but focus more on Riley once u hav grasped the basic concepts

pungpui

HSC
eco is a subject which u need to use ur brain! learn considerably little content (or less than business studies!), then USE YOUR BRAIN to combine them...

no text book is going to help you with that, so dont go spend a fortune on 3 or 4 books. i used riley, i got 95...but im not saying HE gave me 95.

Lorie

HSC
i found the leading edge book by dixon a very useful text book. The excel book is really basic but helps you understand the concepts easier. Also, read as many of Gittens articles in the SHM about the current issues in the economy, he provides great stats, and helps you gain an understanding into the current state of the economy.

rantman

HSC
N/A
I find "Plain English Economics" monthly economics updates very useful for up to date statistics and analysis of current economic environment.

rantman

HSC
N/A
where can i go to buy a new book from bulmer or riley?
does anyone know the website or bookstore or phone number?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)