Best Economics Textbook (1 Viewer)

cs01001

HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
I've already got the leading edge, macquarie and Bulmer (all 3). So Riley would complete my collection haha (excel doesnt count coz its shit). But, I don't think i really need Riley's book. If i can get it cheap then ill take, but yeah, no way will i buy it brand new..
Excel is indeed shit. I think my collection is more than enough, lol.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
cs01001 said:
Excel is indeed shit. I think my collection is more than enough, lol.
shitter than shit. lol, it's pathetic...

Updated economics is good though. I quite like it.

AjMB

HSC
Dixon is good for learning the content the first time, because he expresses things clearly and follows the syllabus. Bulmer IMO would probably be the 'best' book in terms of content, but it's only good as additional material to Dixon, because sometimes it can be explore really advanced content whilst skimming over the fundamentals. Riley is disorganised, full of mostly irrelevant stats and information that strays from the syllabus or his poorly presented. It might be good to read through for any extra snippets of information.

michael1990

HSC
Re: Which textbooks do you use?

foram said:
Economcs: Tim Riley Economics 2008, Excel Economics, Cambridge Economics
Whats Cambridge like?

Is it worth me buying?

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Which textbooks do you use?

cambridge uses more simple language than tim riley so i use it for the things i dont understand in the tim riley book

penhensurfer

HSC
I looked at all the eco textbooks during my HSC (2006).

I'd recommend to anyone - Dixon and Bulmer.
Riley as a 3rd resource if you’re really keen, otherwise don't bother.

The other textbooks are useless, even Riley is pretty mediocre.

Dixon's good to get an understanding of the concepts, though its simplified and Bulmer will give you a much better understanding of the concepts involved, it's a much better critical analysis. That said Bulmer tends to stray off topic onto other interesting areas that aren't strictly relevant to the syllabus. So make sure you read it with a syllabus in hand.

Dixon is written to the syllabus dot points, so no worries there.
Oh the little leading edge answer books things aren’t bad either. I mean you shouldn’t really need them, but their well written. I’ve got the whole collection, which I was planning to flog off but their useful since I tutor now.

HSC
Leading Edge is the WAY to go...

its really easy to understand

riley is more in depth as u can use it in uni too =]

gnrlies

HSC
I think in some ways riley goes into more depth, but does so on issues not relevant to the HSC. The focus in Dixon is to make economics simple, and provide the appropriate amount of depth where it is relevant to the HSC.

Riley can be incredibly confusing if you dont have the basics. I think this is a deliberate strategy used by dixon.

dat202hoe

HSC
I have the Riley one right now. I'll have to buy the other one cause this one is just too confusing.

lionking1191

HSC
ok, read leading edge if you don't want any mental strain.

riley if you want msot of the info you need in a concise, comprehensive layout

bulmer if you actually are interested in how everything works

stuffuhsc

HSC
riley's book is a bit too long with stuff that is not relevant

SimonLee13

HSC
This means i'll have to use at least 2 textbooks in yr 12. Riley is sometimes a bit dull, blocks of text everywhere but is comphrehensive enough.

bawd

HSC
Our school is using the Cambridge Economics Textbook which they just bought this year. It's not too bad, considering the fact I got 90+% for an assessment and full marks in my essay about Price Elasticity of Demand. But, I think my teachers notes and data helped as well. I'll check out the books that have been recommended over and over in this thread and compare them the Cambridge one.

rambam92

HSC
i swear i could kill Tim Riley - that orange book - is way too complex its ridiculous u read a paragraph and come out not knowing what has just been said - basically it is impossible to break it down into simple terms to understand and make notes
Luckily next year we are using Cambridge which our teacher and myself reckon is way better as it is less complex and looks cooler than an orange book with a reatarded spine (Cheap publishers - i hate them:angry:)

bawd

HSC
Buying HSC textbooks next weekend. School Library just got the latest Leading Edge one, and we'll be using the Cambridge ones in class.

Should I buy John Bulmer's Updated Economics A & B or Tim Riley's one or both? And should I wait for the 2009 editions to come out or just buy the 2008 ones in store? I hear John Bulmer is quite difficult and for more advanced students due, but I also hear people complaining they cannot understand Tim Riley, lolololol.

karnage

HSC
bawd said:
I hear John Bulmer is quite difficult and for more advanced students due, but I also hear people complaining they cannot understand Tim Riley, lolololol.
Tim riley's one is good for stats, he seems to put in alot of stuff about all the reports the Governments do.

Bulmers one (i used it for an assignment) its ok as well, provides discussion of concepts and stuff which is good, i didnt find it overly difficult though (i was reading the policies book). I also like the size of it, its easy to handle.

Dixon's one is pretty basic, sorta waffles on every now and again into pointless stuff but its the one i use in class and im fine with it.

karnage

HSC
conics2008 said:
Dont Get Tim Dixion.. Look At The Sylabus
Ah yea, another gripe i have with dixon is that the work isnt set out in the syllabus, sometimes dot points are merged together which makes it annoying to make notes.

bawd

HSC
karnage said:
Tim riley's one is good for stats, he seems to put in alot of stuff about all the reports the Governments do.

Bulmers one (i used it for an assignment) its ok as well, provides discussion of concepts and stuff which is good, i didnt find it overly difficult though (i was reading the policies book). I also like the size of it, its easy to handle.

Dixon's one is pretty basic, sorta waffles on every now and again into pointless stuff but its the one i use in class and im fine with it.
Okay, thanks a lot! I saw the Dixon one in store today and was tempted to buy it because there was no other ones (the pre-HSC last minute cramming rush). The Leading Edge Budget Review was pretty good, which is why I thought their textbook would be not that bad. I will buy both Riley's and Bulmer's once I can find them.

Any idea about how good Cambridge is for HSC (the one our class is going to use)? The Preliminary Textbook is pretty good, but not the best it could be.

Last edited:

karnage

HSC
bawd said:
The Leading Edge Budget Review was pretty good, which is why I thought their textbook would be good as not as bad. I.
Yea those Leading Edge newsletter things or 'economics update' as they call it are pretty good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)