Best game in each genre (1 Viewer)

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
Oh boy. Where do i begin?

You realise almost all the things said on this board is subjective right?
Quite rightly so, however the actual way you classified each game into being the best game in each genre is a bit biased. Mainly, you don't judge the game as a GAME. Several categories you have actually put it up because of sales, etc. I'm doing a completely justified list of what I believe is the best game, mainly because of the content, etc.

You justified FFVI as the best simply because you thought so. Whilst I agree, it is a good RPG, I'm not going to deny a force like FFVII, which had monstrous sales figure, cult followings and even spawned its own spinoffs and movies (some which were quite bad) as being one of the best (if not the best) rpg of all time. At the time it was released it was wildly anticipated and a revolution in gaming.
As above - you didn't judge it as a game. Note, it did revolutionize gaming so to speak ... but once you look past the hype, etc. It was indeed just an average RPG. The main thing that did hype it up was because it was the first 3d RPG ever.
FFVI, however, had one of the best storylines and villains that i've ever seen in an RPG. Kefka was evil... he nearly destroyed the world. Hell: he took over the world and killed for fun. And who could ever forget that evil laugh.

Thus it's unfair of me to judge something as being unworthy just because my own opinion says so. For instance, whilst I dislike 'Star Wars' - I'm not going to disagree if it lands in the top 5 films of all time, due to the sheer amount of fans, and products spawned from it.
As above - the reason i do disagree with it; is because you aren't judging some of the games on the content, rather the effect it has on society (ergo: FFVII/MW2)

Dragon Age saw a revolution and re-introduction into the 'dark fantasy' world. It's been over 5 years since Neverwinter Nights came out, and complemented with the high critic scores, Dragon Age is worthy of its high rank. Pokemon, whilst a fun game, just had the basic rpg controls and was meant to capitalize on the Pokemon craze at the time...
Pokemon was a fun game, and that's why i put it there. I mean, come on. It was a memorably frustrating and fun game. What more do you want?
And believe me - Lufia II - rise of the sinistrals is one of the most underexposed games ever. I loved it with a passion. just the storyline, the ending, the musical scores .. the puzzle .. just was a great experience. Sure the controls were basic for an rpg .. but sometimes we are just looking for the storyline experience and how it actually captures all our attention.

Once again, your opinion. Being one of the most sold FPS (if not the most) sold of all time, matched with the great critic scores obviously means this game is fantastic. Whilst not a fan of COD myself, I'n not going to put in a game I like better just because, I like it better, and not for its merits.
Most sold =/= best game. Seriously though, it was such an unpolished game. . so many bugs and glitches. It didn't live up to the hype that it fed off from MW1. All it was, was just a move to capitalise off the success of MW1.
I can think of a lot of other games that are much better than MW2 that shoud rightly so take it's place. How about - Half Life? Half life 2? Counter-Strike? TF2? Halo (i admit that the first halo was a really great game). That's just to lsit a few.

Twilight Princess saw clever use of the Wii remote, instead of the old controller - styler controls. It also paid immense attention to detail, and is a very beautiful game. It also managed to snag quite a good score from the critics.
And there you go -> basing your decision off other sources rather than your own "opinion" ?
Btw - A link to the past has also got a good review... so yeah.

Does Ace Combat even come close to Sims sales? No. Do the same amount of people play/enjoy Ace Combat compared to Sims? No.
Sims is more of a casual gamer game. ... Im not saying that those games shouldn't be allowed to be the best game ever .. but the thing is, where is the actual gaming experience? What is more rewarding? Seeing the parts of a plane fly by as you shoot down the last of 15 planes in the sky and that "mission accomplished" sign coming up ... or just goign around .. dancing, making an 'avatar' have a life. Seriously thuogh - i don't see the point of that game.

Are you joking? Do you even know what survival horror even is? Considering it's my favourite genre, and you have the nerve to compare Silent Hill 2, one of best survival/psychological horror games of all time, with another dumb shooter game where you get a surplus amount of ammos, and doesn't even qualify as survival horror, clearly indicates you know little of the genre.

I've played Aliens, to Clock Tower, Resident Evils, Fatal Frames, Silent Hills, Kuon, Penumbria, to Alone in The Dark, and whilst Silent Hill 2 gives me nightmares (how disturbing is a Pyramid Head raping a monster nurse then killing her?) Aliens is a game I expect to find in the $5 and under Bargain Bin, cause that's all it's worth.
dumb shooter game? And here you are condeming ME for my opinions. But oh wells? The reason why I put Alien trilogy there is because they actually got the atmosphere that was present in the movie, and actually made a pretty damn good replication of it in the game. I mean, it keeps you on your toes all the time. I agree, it is more of a shooter than a survival horror ... but jsut because it is a shooter doesn't mean it doesnt' have elements of a survival horror.

I haven't played many survival horrors. but it doesn't mean i don't know much of the genre. Please don't attack me when I never anything like that. All i did was disagree with your list.

Age of Mythology is a great game as it revolutionized the RTS series, instead of making the minor tweaks like other RTS. It introduced a counter system, God Powers, and the austere, Minor God choices you'd have to make when you advanced. As great a game as Starcraft is, it's just an RTS. What's the main difference between it, and other RTSs? It's set in space...

But nonetheless, it would be about on par with the Age of Empire Series due to sales and fans.
There you go about sales and fans ... Sales and fans are just that. They don't do anything to improve or disprove the quality of the game.
Total war series revolutionized RTS's... mainly, it doesn't focus on income. Rather, the actual tacics that you employ and how u allocate resources in which troops you buy, upgrade etc. Also, you set out your army as to how you believe it to be best suited for the terrain, enemies, etc.
Also, changing your tactics in-game is pretty tough. In comparison to AoE/AoM where when you mostly lose a battle, it's mostly GG.
Also, Navy battles require a LOT of Micro-ing.... it is quite an impressive part of the Empire total war game. A lot of people can't do navy battles (such asm yself).. but if you do get the hang of it, the battles you have are totally awesome.

Also - i noticed that you didn't say anything about CnC?

So next time, if you plan to argue with someone, back you points up with something more than just your opinions. We're all entitled to it, but when you question someone else's, what makes yours any more valid than theirs?
There you go. Is that proof enough?
And btw, just because of sales and fan bases are high - does not validate it to be the best game ever. Sure, it may be a good game, but the other games may be overshadowed by the hype of that game. EG: Lufia II was overshadowed by the FF series. and lufia 2 was such a GREAT game.

Last edited:
HSC
Uni Grad
And btw, just because of sales and fan bases are high - does not validate it to be the best game ever. Sure, it may be a good game, but the other games may be overshadowed by the hype of that game. EG: Lufia II was overshadowed by the FF series. and lufia 2 was such a GREAT game.
+infinity

Which is why I put the games I have invested the most amount of hours of my life into and will continue to, and have had the most fun playing etc.

HSC
the actual way you classified each game into being the best game in each genre is a bit biased. Mainly, you don't judge the game as a GAME. Several categories you have actually put it up because of sales, etc. I'm doing a completely justified list of what I believe is the best game, mainly because of the content, etc. because you aren't judging some of the games on the content, rather the effect it has on society (ergo: FFVII/MW2)
I put 'sales' and how 'popular' games are because they help to lower the variables, and the chance for bias. I.e. I might think a game is stupid - has poor execution, has terrible graphics and plays like a rusted wheelbarrow - likewise there will be people who think the oppossite, they might like the parts I dislike.

What you don't understand is, just because you or I, like a game does not mean it's a fantastic game, due to the fact that it's all based on opinion.

High sales/popularity/critic scores means that the game is like by a big chunk of people, and people do not purchase games which are terrible or mediocre. They purchase it because they like it. Hence, just because YOU, believe Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 2 is crap, does not mean it's a bad game.

Isn't it common sense -> something bad is rejected by society ->dwindles in numbers. You're not telling me millions of people would buy shit games do you?

And there you go -> basing your decision off other sources rather than your own "opinion" ?
Ever heard the John Donne quote "No man is an island?"
or the infamous saying "A man who is his own lawyer has a fool for his client?"

It means that you can stay couped up in a small balloon, and pick what YOU like, and what YOU want. Only a fool does this, as a man who looks to other sources/factors knows that he can balance his own biased views/subjectivity. I suggest you take a look into von Ranke's work.

dumb shooter game? And here you are condeming ME for my opinions
Quite ironic, since wasn't your first post aimed at condemning my entire original post?

I agree, it is more of a shooter than a survival horror ... but jsut because it is a shooter doesn't mean it doesnt' have elements of a survival horror.
Do your research before you post. If you're not a survival horror fan, then just say so instead of arguing with people who are.

1- 'Aliens' is sci fi, not "survival horror" - wikipedia it up if you want
2. Just because it has supernatural beings in it does not make it 'survival horror' -it's just assumptions those foreign to the genre make.
3. a true survival horror game will prefer to make the character more of an ordinary joe type of character, and limit the ease of combat - ie. lack of ammo, harder to hit enemies, hence making it a better option to hide, rather than to blow their brains out in 'Aliens...'

In comparison to AoE/AoM where when you mostly lose a battle, it's mostly GG.
Excuse me? As a former 1750 rated AOM player, I can tell you that only inexperienced players agree with that statement. For instance, if all my men died, but has wiped out a chunk of your economy - whilst I can replace them quickly, you won the battle, but have weak, low health soldiers, and can't replace them due to a broken economy.

lufia 2 was such a GREAT game.
You keep coming back to the fact that just because YOU like the game, it automatically makes it the best game. Guess what, like I said, only a fool would think like that.

I'll give a good example.
Ever heard a song you liked on the charts, and then was horrified that it didn't reach the Top 10? Or number 1? You know why that is? It's because MORE people think the Number 1 song is 'the best song ever' than you do with your song. You can whinge and cry about how your song is so much better, but it's not going to change anything, and you're leaving yourself blind.

I personally would go, "That's not my kinda song and I think mine is soooooo much better than that piece of crap, but hey, if it's Number 1, it's gotta be good to a lot of people right?"

Like I said: so next time, if you plan to argue with someone, back you points up with something more than just your opinions. We're all entitled to it, but when you question someone else's, what makes yours any more valid than theirs?

^ What makes your views eg. that Pokemon is the best game, any more valid that anyone elses?

badquinton304

HSC
I really see no point in ranking legendary games. True game designers are artists who have their masterpieces, thus the way one person may see a game is obviously different to another person. I prefer a system that describes Immortal and Legendary Games of Note (hahaha). These are games from thier respective genres that have influenced gaming in general and have personally influenced me, they are superd works that if you were asked in 50 years time, "Recommend me an excellent game to play, that defined your era in gaming?", this game would be recommended.
Note the following is incomplete because I am tired ( I should really start a blog for this because I got alot to say, but I will only go into details of two games for now):

RPG:
Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn - An excellent game of infinite possibilities, with one of the most rich and epic storylines, which really sucks the player into the world of faerun. Characters are deep (with possibly the best villan of all time) and have complex relationships with other npcs and the pc. Choices made by the player have permanent and influential consequences and as such the storyline is dependant on the player. Gameplay is so flexible and it requires much strategy. No open minded gamer can finish this game, without getting the impression that the team who made this game are passionate about thier work, creative in thier ideas and are focused on the gamer and not sales figures and marketing.
Unfortunately the development team all work for different developers (since black isle studios went belly up) now so the chances of the original development team getting back together to make a real quality rpg are slim. It is ridiculous that gamers these days think that NWN2 and Dragon Age Origins are the epitome of DnD rpg gaming.

Action:
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Again an epic game, a very complex game and as such some are put off. The story is wonderful and the character have thier own legacy, you look up to snake as a true hero working in the backround doing the hard yards in the face of enormous adversity, I do not quite no how to put it but like the player becomes one with the world of Baldus Gate 2, the gamer in MGS4 becomes one with snakes journey and individual story, see crawling through the microwaves, stabbed and electrocuted, etc. Also the way the story is presented is excellent particularly those smooth transitions between gameplay and cutscenes. The many different styles the gamer may play the game through make it a blast, and give a new experience every playthrough.
Again the developers always shine with a true game. He is a genius who is passionate about making games and he knows what he wants in the game which is why he has personal role in almost every stage of development.

A true game is made by developers who are passionate and make a game for the gamer and not for sales. Im sick of all these developers reusing the same formulas without adding anything original or deep, or repacking the same game with "2010" on it and charging $100 for it. On that note I think the above two games show that true games are deeper and more complex than most of the shit hollywood cranks out and feeds to you these days. Hence gaming is just as valid an artform as film, it shouldn't be subjected to harsh restrictions and guidelines.

Edit: Fuckling laptop keyboards.

Last edited:
HSC
Uni Grad
Agreed. Most of the GTA's have great soundtracks.
Yeh imo, actually make that IN MY OPINION as this thread seems to have some problems in that regard:

GTA - 3 Flash FM ftw, nothing good in LC stories (reinforcing imo)
VC - WAVE, VCPR and FLASH were good, vcpr was fucking lol as, p much same for vc stories

SA - KDST and RADIOX, WCTR for epic lolz
GTA IV - sucked balls music wise (IMO!)

HSC
Uni Grad
I really gotta check out Baldurs Gate, zomg yes I haven't played it, don't kill me :p
That said, I really am finding DA: O orgasmic, I am expecting great things of Baldurs Gate.

badquinton304

HSC
Yeh imo, actually make that IN MY OPINION as this thread seems to have some problems in that regard:

VC - WAVE, VCPR and FLASH were good, vcpr was fucking lol as, p much same for vc stories

Every talk show on gtas are hilarious. Having 3 of them on gta4 is mad. Although I hear you can set custom soundtracks on gta4 radio channel also the expansion gives a metal station.

HSC
Uni Grad
O SHIT, I didn't realise there were talk stations on gta iv, I hereby proclaim I phail at life.
And yeh, I ripped the talk back ones and put on ipod lolz, listened to sooo many times, still hilarious.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
These are my favs, from the GTA games I've got.

III: Flash, Chatterbox
VC: Flash, VRock, Wave, KChat, VCPR
SA: KDST, Radio X, KRose, WCTR
VCS: Emotion, Flash, VCPR

HSC
Uni Grad
These are my favs, from the GTA games I've got.

III: Flash, Chatterbox
VC: Flash, VRock, Wave, KChat, VCPR
SA: KDST, Radio X, KRose, WCTR
VCS: Emotion, Flash, VCPR
OH FUCK I FORGOT VROCK

Ok all my posts are invalid, I suck cocks.
Krose was good for queen of hearts <3 that song.
Oh yeh and emotion, wtf is wrong with me.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
TBH, I wiki'd the station list, to make sure I got down all the right ones. :)

badquinton304

HSC
I really gotta check out Baldurs Gate, zomg yes I haven't played it, don't kill me :p
That said, I really am finding DA: O orgasmic, I am expecting great things of Baldurs Gate.
I still have the box that bg2 came in it was a chunky box (thats how it should be) with the 4 discs in a separate case inside, a map of amn and outer regions, a reference card and a massive rulebook.
A taste:
YouTube - Irenicus Being Badass

Last edited:
HSC
Uni Grad
Ah lol, I remember seeing spongebob square pants movie (had a I wanna rock parody in it) like next day I got VC and hear the real song on VROCK and was like ZOMG!!!

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Ah lol, I remember seeing spongebob square pants movie (had a I wanna rock parody in it) like next day I got VC and hear the real song on VROCK and was like ZOMG!!!
It's all part of Spongebob's appeal. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)