Best Law Schools (1 Viewer)

nainani

HSC
N/A
Hi guys,

Which of the following law schools has the best rep and teaching quality? I'm an international student in Hong Kong and I'm trying to decide where to go.

The universities are:
ANU
UNSW
Monash
U. of Melb
U. of Syd

Thanks!

bustinjustin

HSC
Re: Best rep out of the following?

All of these law schools are well known and highly regarded, though USyd and UNSW more so, followed by ANU. Does it matter what city the school is in? Sydney and Melbourne are very different, and coming from Hong Kong, you might find Canberra a too quiet and boring, although it might be a change

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A

nainani said:
Hi guys,

Which of the following law schools has the best rep and teaching quality? I'm an international student in Hong Kong and I'm trying to decide where to go.

The universities are:
ANU
UNSW
Monash
U. of Melb
U. of Syd

Thanks!
The teaching quality is similar among the top law schools, but it is very difficult to evaluate without having studied law at each place. Having studied at UNSW I can tell you the quality is excellent there.

As for reputation, USyd and UNSW are widely regarded as the top two law schools in the country. (Although USyd has a slight edge in reputation due to its long history.)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
i think you'd fit right into UNSW or Monash. lots of HKies, even in law.

so then it's a question of Sydney or Melbourne.

btw, why not HKU? [i'm thinking of exchanging to 'gong-dai' in 2008 - what's their local reputation like?]

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC

bustinjustin said:
and coming from Hong Kong, you might find Canberra a too quiet and boring, although it might be a change
Infidel! In defence of Canberra, it's very easy to say that Canberra is boring without either living in Canberra or on campus at the ANU. That aside...

- All of those universities have fairly similarly structured degrees. There are some differences but these are relatively small and usually consist of universities forcing you to do two sessions of one course (i.e. UNSW students do a year of criminal law).

- The quality of lecturers varies within faculties at all universities. Sometimes you'll get a dud and sometimes you'll get a brilliant lecturer - and that will be true at all of those universities.

- There are some differences in electives offered, I know from experience that the ANU offers quite alot of international law electives. However, unless you're particularly keen on taking LAWS8008 The Law of the Sea (and I know someone who has) electives won't really matter to you.

Basically what I’m trying to say is that if you’re down to choosing between those universities, decide based on criteria besides the quality of the law degree, since they’re all pretty much the same. If you're combining, choose your university based upon your other degree. Otherwise, consider factors such as rent, whether you’ll be living on campus, travelling distance to the CBD etc.

Last edited:

nainani

HSC
N/A
Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses!

So the general consensus is that USyd and UNSW are the best law schools in Australia?

I dont know, I personally find U. Melb very good as well, and I've seen it ranked well worldwide and get good marks in the Good Universities Guide 2006.

As for HKU. it is the best (in terms of rep and personal liking) to do Law in Hong Kong, it has a good rep locally as well. The reason I'm not doing my undergrad there is because I HAVE to do my postgrad there to practise as a lawyer in HK, and I want a change of scenery! It's time to grow up =)

Please keep the suggestions/comments coming!
Thanks!

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
LottoX said:
Should I move interstate to go to ANU or should I stay for the 15 minute walk to Macquarie, despite its lower reputation if I don't make it to USyd or UNSW? Or should I just pay $20,000/year?
ANU is the worst option as living far from home costs as much as the full fee itself. If you're well off or have asian parents pay the fee, if not go to a third tier Uni like Macq. or UTS.

There are also more NSBs at UNSW and USyd. - probably about 8 in each of the law schools.

Last edited:

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
LottoX said:
I just wasn't too sure as to whether or not I'd be able to make the cut into UNSW or USyd, really.

That reminds me; I need to study more.
Thats what I first thought aswell - that i'd probably get around the 98 mark.

But you will probably get in as an NSB doing 4/4/3/2. I heard that your grade is shit though.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
The problem with HKU is that reputable employers look very favourably upon people who have studied overseas. The reason probably has nothing to do with the quality of HKU. From personal experience both as a Hong Kong citizen and having interned there, there's this perception that local HK education is only about studying (etc etc) and that its students can only try to speak English. And of course, there's a lot of competition from HK students who have studied abroad in Oxbridge, ICL etc.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Omnidragon said:
The problem with HKU is that reputable employers look very favourably upon people who have studied overseas. The reason probably has nothing to do with the quality of HKU. From personal experience both as a Hong Kong citizen and having interned there, there's this perception that local HK education is only about studying (etc etc) and that its students can only try to speak English. And of course, there's a lot of competition from HK students who have studied abroad in Oxbridge, ICL etc.
true, some HK international students at UNSW told me that's the reason they came here.. but HKU have a lot of things going for it (i remember they have a strong mooting program and the recent expansion of the straight LLB program to 4 years). and from a choice of doing law at City/Chinese/HKU, there's no choice, HKU wins hands down.

which firm did you intern at?

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
If you want a change of scenery then USYD might be the way to go.

I'm curious though as to why there are so many hk students at UNSW in law compared to USYD law...

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
So the general consensus is that USyd and UNSW are the best law schools in Australia?

I dont know, I personally find U. Melb very good as well, and I've seen it ranked well worldwide and get good marks in the Good Universities Guide 2006.
Pretty much everyone on this site is from Sydney and I don't think any frequent posters in this particular forum go to Umelb, so you should expect a fairly Sydneycentric view.

Should I move interstate to go to ANU or should I stay for the 15 minute walk to Macquarie, despite its lower reputation if I don't make it to USyd or UNSW? Or should I just pay $20,000/year?
LottoX, if you're only concerned about reputation I don't see any reason why you should uproot and come to Canberra. If you want to move out of home though... :p

_dhj_ said:
ANU is the worst option as living far from home costs as much as the full fee itself.
That's untrue, have you moved out of home?

From memory full fee combined law costs around $20,000 a year.

A self catered college in Canberra costs $140 p/w (bills paid). Usually food costs around $50 p/w. In Canberra you won't be paying much for transport (since you'll either live on campus, you'll be in walking distance of campus or in the worst case have to pay $2.50 for a daytrip bus ticket).

Give or take that's around 200x40 = $8,000 for rent and food. Add in bond money, parking permits and other incidentals and you're looking at around $10,000 tops - which is covered completely by Youth Allowance.

So yeah, I live in expensive CATERED accomodation and I generally only have to make up a deficit of $40-$50 a week :p

Vahl

HSC
Wherever you study law, HIT THE GROUND RUNNING. Work your butt off or don't bother.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
GoodToGo said:
I'm curious though as to why there are so many hk students at UNSW in law compared to USYD law...
bloody asians and their groupthink.

lala2

Banned
HSC
@ LottoX: UTS...or MACQU, depending on your other degree. I mean, MACQU is good for actuarial studies, commerce and the like, but UTS is good for its Arts in Communication degrees.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
LottoX said:
What I'm unsure about is which university I should go to if I get say...99.00.
try to jack up your HSC marks that little bit so you get that extra... .35-.40 of a UAI.

the transfer process is okay, but it means you start at UNSW/USyd a year late with a few courses to catch up.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
Give or take that's around 200x40 = $8,000 for rent and food. Add in bond money, parking permits and other incidentals and you're looking at around $10,000 tops - which is covered completely by Youth Allowance.
Actually it may be cheaper for international students, but local students can defer a significant part the fee just like hecs afaik. For international students (particularly from rich HK) the fee is generally worth it for the "brand" of the University. You will also probably find better paid part-time employment in Sydney which offsets the gap aswell.

Last edited:

phrred

HSC
GoodToGo said:
If you want a change of scenery then USYD might be the way to go.

because asians like money and business which= commerce =UNSW

i think ull find more people would do arts/law at Sydney than UNSW

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)